James Hird — January 2017 onwards

(haven’t read the comments, don’t need too) agree re just testing the waters for them.

1 Like

I had a conversation with a saints supporter on the weekend. Just met them, innocent chit chat about who each of us supported. It took all of 2 seconds of learning I was a Bomber supporter for this seemingly quite intelligent, polite, measured person to lose their ■■■■ over James Hird and what a piece of work he is.

The majority of opposition supporters have their mind set. They do not want to enter into back and forth discussion on this topic. As far as they’re concerned, Essendon are cheats and Hird is still the most evil person on the planet. And they still can’t explain why.

It will take a relentless AFL PR campaign to undo the reputational damage they caused to Hirdy. Maybe they’re putting the wheels in motion, but he will never regain the level of respect he had before the saga, and if he ever decides to come back into the AFL fold it will prove a very tough gig. No matter where it is.

20 Likes

Amazing isn’t it that people who you have not met before take it for granted that you want THEIR opinion on Hirdy and the saga. ,:grinning:

18 Likes

I’m with @westozziebomber.
There is no chance in the world that Hird will ever be a senior coach again.

I think some of you questioning wob, are ignoring the senior coach bit. Wob isn’t saying Hird won’t get a job… it just won’t be a senior job.

It won’t be a surprise at all if he gets an assistant job of some sort somewhere. But it’s fantasy land stuff to think any club will ever take it a step further.

2 Likes

Follow the thought process to its conclusion though.

James Hird gets an assistant role… no surprise at all.

With what you know about James, and his work ethic, and football knoweldge… how long do you think it will take before someone poaches him for a head coach role?

2 Likes

A very long time.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is true.

The masses were so easily brainwashed with the fake story of evil, that it shouldn’t take too much effort to swing their minds 180 degrees. It’s not like they have the powers of reason or independent thought.

20 Likes

But that means admitting they’re wrong. For the last few years the average man in the street has been able to crucify Hird knowing that every non Essendon fan will agree. There’s no way they’ll now admit they didn’t know what they were talking about

3 Likes

I’m not so sure about that. Tall poppy syndrome and all. Makes the regular non-Essendon person feel better about themselves knowing there is an evil man called James Hird out there.

McGuire and the AFL should organise for Sarah to come out and forgive him.

23 Likes

I would be very happy for James to return to Essendon in a coaching role… but I can see how it might be easier for him to go to another club… It just better not be farkin cwood! I would HATE that. Imagine James in edmcpricks team… NOoooooooooo!!

1 Like

Ignoring the fact that so many of the great unwashed swallowed every skerrick of the Hird hatred simply because of all the new arseholes he tore their respective teams during his career.

14 Likes

I would love to see Jim back in footy particularly at Essendon in any capacity but I can’t help but admire Sheedy’s loyalty.

Being a Hird supporter has been a lonely & unpopular place over the last few years but Sheed’s has his back right from the start.

34 Likes

I don’t see why he couldn’t come back as HC at EFC after Woosh. Sheedy didn’t seem to be saying that it had to happen any time soon. He’s 46? Has plenty of time. And who farking cares what the supporters of other clubs think?

2 Likes

James Hird won’t be head coach at Essendon again

4 Likes

I doubt that this latest discussion of Hird returning to the AFL/coaching is coming from Hird.

In the last 6 months I have been to 2 intimate ‘gatherings’ with Kevin Sheedy (about a dozen of us in the room each time).

These session have been interesting. Sheedy doing his ‘show’ - talking about the old days, some funny stories, how he was the first full-time coach, the evolution of the AFL in the community, his favourite players, his love of indigenous players.

At both of these session somebody has asked the inevitable question, “How is Hirdy?”

At both sessions Sheedy has responded pretty much word for word what has been reported in the article above. This makes me think that this story has emanated from another Sheedy guest speaker function and a media person has been in attendance. The media person has then turned it into a story.

So in my mind (and I don’t profess to know definitively) this is just Sheedy talking about the saga and Hird in general terms (in response to a question). It’s not Sheedy pleading Hird’s case and it’s certainly not Hird testing the waters (in fact I inferred from what Sheedy said at my functions, that Hird is very content at the moment).

6 Likes

I love Hirdy. I think he’s a very capable senior coach and has the ability to be an outstanding senior coach.

It will never happen though. Never. Seriously if he’s ever appointed as an AFL senior coach ever again I’ll give you all a million dollars

It’s a great little wet dream to have, don’t get me wrong, but it is never ever ever happening

5 Likes

Very good coach.

Wasn’t nailed for his ability to coach football. In all seriousness he should be welcomed back as a senior coach.

It was the lack of professionalism of the club which destroyed Jim’s coaching career.

8 Likes

I’d love to see James back in a coaching role, he just understands the game so well.

4 Likes