James Hird Writes for Herald Sun

Hard to see how you follow that up in a few weeks with articles about defensive structures or players out of form. Wonder what else we’ll get from him.

3 Likes

Paddy Ambrose in the ruck?

2 Likes

James Hird will never be involved in football again - Mike Fatzprick.
Take that and shove it Mike.
Welcome back you legend.

#standbyhird

58 Likes

Glad he’s back on track and in footy. He will always be my hero. Love ya Jimmy

3 Likes

Fark yes! Welcome back Hirdy, still love ya mate.

3 Likes

I am so farking happy to read that.

I just read it out loud to Mrs Fox and we are crying like babies. We love you Hirdy.

24 Likes

That’s a pretty raw article, in terms of revealing his emotions about his recent mental health issues and personal experience in receiving treatment, written by James.

It’s a very brave move by James and hopefully most people that read his article will show a bit of compassion and empathy towards him and his family’s plight over what he’s had to endure over the past four years. Having said that though, with the forum that he’s chosen (The Herald Sun) to make his public comeback, I hold very little hope with the pond scum that regularly frequent their comments sections.

It was also fantastic to see Hirdy pay a glowing tribute to Tania, after all the disgusting unfounded rumours during the height of the saga about their apparently failing marriage and allegations of infidelity, of the strength and support that she showed him during his low times.

It’s great to see that they haven’t let the miserable farks and trolls that wished them both all sorts of pain to come out the other side even stronger than ever before.

It’s also encouraging to read that he still has a passion for the club, with him looking forward to the future and a new successful era for it, and of his acknowledgement of us supporters of our club.

This article should also serve as an example to anyone that is going through, or has been through a similar experience to James, that having resilience is a thoroughly important personal trait to have and that no matter how low you fall, there is always the chance to pull yourself out of the mire with the right professional help and strong family and friends support.

Good on Hirdy for writing that article and I dearly hope that he is in a much healthier and better place than he was a couple of months back.

38 Likes

In the end Good people like James find a way back in the industry…Reading that article brought tears to my eyes…He is as true a bomber man as any past player the club has had. How good would it be if you could watch a game of footy with him.

3 Likes

To bounce back from recent events and sound so assured and enthusiastic… damn, my hero in my teens and twenties as a player, my hero in my thirties as a man who wouldn’t bow down to the ■■■■■■, and now my hero in my forties as a man who can rise again from the darkest period.

17 Likes

Much respect. He’s always been ■■■■■■ tough, but to be open as that took a lot of guts. More than I have.

Great to see him back, and great to get a sign that all is well. He’s a resilient bugger. Can’t wait to read his next stuff, and the great day he’s back at the club.

4 Likes

Tears.

More to say but not the strength to say it right now.

20 Likes

I wouldn’t at all have blamed him for going the tonk on the people and institutions that are responsible for the place that he found himself.

But, as we have come to expect, too much class.

On ya, Jim.

7 Likes

I spoke to James late last year in regards to his new chocolate business Cacao Hunters and even then he was offering discounts as an Essendon supporter and signing off emails with “Go Dons”. An absolute legend! Love him!

28 Likes

A champion of Essendon. A champion person.

13 Likes

Class.

16 Likes

We all want to hug the man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IykLttSR6JqsevC/giphy.gif

37 Likes

Who?
Never heard of the prick.

6 Likes

I’ve got a feeling his articles will fall away in the 2nd half of the season…

But seriously, I was watching the 2000 GF the other night and I couldn’t help but feel a sense of sadness every time he went near the ball. I was wondering how he was travelling. It looks as though the great man is well on his way back. Welcome back Champ!

7 Likes

:relieved:

2 Likes

Love this!