Jarrad McVeigh

He played 10 VFL games last year and a few in the development league. This year he has played all but a few. Can we end this charade that he has missed the last 18 months? He’s has 18 months of solid footy and doesn’t look up to it.

If where gunna get an experienced player, Ablett first. 5 minutes on the ball 10 in the forward line.

Shaun Burgoyne come on down

3 Likes

Delisting people who are actually on the improve before people who’s best was 3-4 years ago is certainly one way to do it.

But yes it would be based on potential upside… which would be the same for many 2nd years.

He’s missed a fair chunk including pre seasons

Only reason I could think of is if we unload a lot and the draft is shallow. Even then, you’d hope others were ahead of him which isn’t a good reason anyway.

Yeah, but you’d hopefully get more out of him for the season than that.

4 Likes

What’s development league? Did he go back and play at Aberfeldie or something?

It’s literally VFL seconds. I didn’t think we had a team in it though.

Have we forgotten McNeice or has he been mentioned here? Promising backman, sublime kick. Get him India.

whiplash recovery.

Hmmmm the more I think about it the more I think it could work.

Losing Kelly, Watson, Stanton, Hocking, etc. is a lot of experience for the group to lose.

If the backline loses McGrath and Kelly. There is 2 spots we have to fill up with so far unworthy depth players - Redman, McNeice, Ridley is all we have. And they are not doing a McKenna (who earns his best 22 spot over Stanton). So even if it’s just for depth and leadership it’s not the worst idea.

Except Fogdog has already stated that the McVeigh thing isn’t happening at all. Posted it in the Woosha thread.

1 Like

I know it’s not the worst version, but spelling his name with the second “a” makes it hard for me to take him seriously.

With Kelly retiring, is there a spot for Stanton in the back line next year?

5 Likes

Watson, Stanton, Hocking & Kelly out the door.
That’s 1000 games of experience we have retiring.

Clearly the list management team think that’s an issue.

As I said previously, in a year where there isn’t much to choose from later in the draft, I have no issue bringing in a player of McVeigh’s experience and quality to fill a gap.

1 Like

More recently than this?

Yes, more recent than that.

1 Like

Yeah, more just in terms of discussions around emergent backmen.