JLT Form - Anyone concerned?

Very good learnings for us then !

I see Selwood racked up 38 with only 2 clearances running amuck unopposed in the middle and seemed to be the go to player for them.

In view of the point you made re Corrigan, I will have another look at the first half to try to see how they did it.

1 Like

Yeah, massive straw-clutching going on thereā€¦ I know

1 Like

Yeah Selwood played mostly on the wing and he and Dangerfield were on fire. It looks their midfield will be working a lot better this season with Ablett playing forward. Obviously thatā€™s just based on a practice match, but it seemed to click.

No offence, but thereā€™s really no need to be clutching at any straws.

And FWIW, it sounds like a completely reasonable and plausable theory.

Thatā€™s fine in theory but according to the training watches we spent the summer practising kicking to a grid 20m out straight in front and I think that is largely what we got during the jlt.

I found it odd at how much Parish and Langford were managed in the 2nd game. Getting them primed with McGrath as the young brigade would have been a nice thing to see.

Iā€™ve become less and less concerned as the days go by and we get closer to round 1, We didnā€™t play either game to win which is comforting and annoying at the same time.

3 Likes

Cats and Pies would have to go in favourites against us.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that Iā€™m concerned - but I am definitely less bullish than I was before the JLT started.

Hopefully the JLT shows the players that they canā€™t afford to rock up and expect to win, and that they actually need to work hard. Iā€™ll give the whole team the benefit of the doubt for now.

Round One last year against Adelaide where we had that comeback win in the last quarter - I think it was glossed over that we seriously stank it up for the first three quarters. Then that form ran into the first 8 rounds or so before Neeld got the flick.

Itā€™s imperative to start well this season.

3 Likes

I suspect it wasnā€™t them being managed but rather wanting the senior guys to get through a certain number of KMs.

the footy was on???

1 Like

From what I saw our forwards were leading to pockets and our mids would kick it to 20m in front of goal where 3 geelong defenders would play rock paper scissors to see who would take the uncontested mark.

Letā€™s hope that changes.

1 Like

Iā€™m concerned. Our gameplan looked like it did at the start of 2018, in that we defended from half way and not the forward press and our forward structure was all over the place. Too often we ran through the middle and had stringer 1 on 3 or Tippa as our only forward with 2 to beat.

It also seemed like we didnt have an answer for the loose man in defence (again).

3 Likes

Iā€™m concerned that the club is calling for us to be patient already. Iā€™ve already had 15 years of impatience! Thereā€™s no time like the present dammit!

11 Likes

Iā€™m concerned that there is no need to be concerned because a lack of concern is concerning.

Or something like that.

4 Likes

Interesting reading what Heppell had to say. I was worried of what got served up in JLT but after reading that I am ready to hit panic button.

Amateur hour.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not what you want to hear leading up to round 1.

1 Like

Heā€™s right though. Our game looked itā€™s best when we were rabid defensively last year.

Why would we be playing with that same level of ferocity in JLT however?

It was about getting kā€™s in the legs, hitting some bodies & avoiding injury. Perhaps even at the directive of the coaches to go at 80%.

And if not players were doing that themselves and that drop off in intensity is why we looked garbage and why our defence was under siege.

With 4pts on the line we should see a different side. Hopefully. We fkn better well do so!

Iā€™m on the record as saying that JLT form is irrelevant, so no Iā€™m not concerned. Still, I would have liked to see more goals from marks inside 50. I think we scored one goal in JLT 2 from a mark inside 50, and that was a sneaky one out the back (Myers).

Lack of marking inside 50 is a symptom of one or more of the following: slow ball movement (allowing defenders to get back), poor kicking inside 50, poor leading patterns from the forwards. From what I saw Iā€™d tend to blame the leading patterns. It seems that only our ā€œunglamorousā€ forwards (Brown, Bags) actually lead to the right places. Once Razz finds his touch heā€™ll provide a target as well. The elephant (giraffe?) in the room here is Joey, whose leading was poor, but all heā€™s trying to do right now is get through four quarters.

5 Likes

i canā€™t believe he said THAT either.

Last year Heppell said he wasnā€™t doing enough as captain and this year he is saying that the club donā€™t work hard enough.

I donā€™t mind that he is saying this, in fact I applaud it because itā€™s what we have all believed for a long time.

Itā€™s all between the ears with this club and we look for excuses far to easily.

We need to come with that manic pressure every week, home and away!