JLT Form - Anyone concerned?

Just going to put it out there that our last two premierships have come off the back of pre-season comp wins

2 Likes

We will beat the giants.

That is true however, back then, the pre-season competition was indeed a competition. Unlike the circle work they do today.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you will be disappointed if:

• You base your expectation on our list comparable to each other list
  • You donā€™t listen to a thing that our club (or any club) says about what their expectation for the season is. All clubs talk positive pre-season.
  • You donā€™t build in frustration about ā€˜but for the last 15 yearsā€¦ā€™.

With our list and the home ground advantages to West Coast and Adelaide, I will be pleased if we were to finish in the 8 and very pleased to win a final. I donā€™t expect to finish on top of Tigers, WC, Pies, Dees and Crows cause I reckon we are a fair way behind them. We are in the mix with GWS, Sydney, Geelong, Port and Roos.

Our time might be in a few years but that will depend on McGrath, Redman, Ridley, Francis, Fantasia and Daniher. We know what we will get from Shiel, Zach, Hepp, Dev etc. I donā€™t think theyā€™ll get better. I think Parish, Langford and Laverde will be ok footballers but wonā€™t win us games. We might lose Hurls and Cale and need to replace them. Francis needs to learn to be accountable and not turn the footy over but is young and could be a star that we build our backline around. McGrath could be a star. Ridley and Redman have a fair way to go but I am hopeful of both. JD and Fantasia must stay fit and become consistent. I think we are a way off but Iā€™m hopeful.

11 Likes

Iā€™m not too sure. Hard to tell, but I think GWS are looking good.

1 Like

This is excellent advice.

3 Likes

Be a fair assumption wouldnā€™t it :grin:

Donā€™t worry, iā€™m the brains of the operation

1 Like

No need to respond to mine then @Mackster

This is a great assessment. I just wonder why the heck we are so far off. I wonder if we get the best out of our people. They seem to come to the club, improve a bit, then stagnate.
What prpobably annoys me most is when they are laughing and joking and talking to the opposition after a loss.
If makes me feel that for them, so long as they play, and play OK, they get paid, so the winā€¦mehā€¦

2 Likes

I reckon anyone that came into the system with that attitude would not get to the top of the tree. It takes more than physical skills to get to the top. ā€˜Not caringā€™ would be so rare as to not exist in my opinion, and is only a bugbear with supporters.

3 Likes

Iā€™m concerned weā€™ll start the season slow and be playing catch up all season. Again.

Then iā€™ll just put it out there that THE last premiership came of the back of West Coast getting beaten by Freo by 10 goals in the pre-seaon. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a real link between the two.

They werenā€™t exactly the team to beat the season before, either. That theory doesnā€™t really hold.

Itā€™s great advice but everyone will assess our list differently.

I for example think we have a list capable of top four and others may think bottom part of the top eight.

We will know more by about round 5-6.

ā€˜Capableā€™ simple means ā€˜comparativelyā€™ in this case. How well do you know other team lists and plans?

1 Like

I donā€™t think any theories on performance in JLT reflecting performance in the real season hold. Itā€™s a waste of time.

I donā€™t and neither would you or anyone else thatā€™s involved in the industry.

West Coast won last year and not even WC would have thought that was possible.

Same could be said of Dogs or Tigers.

it is an open competition and there is no time like the present.

You are either good enough or not. No excuses in my book.

When we were JLT Kingsā€¦

images%20(22)

5 Likes

No no noā€¦Youā€™re not doing this right.

The correct way to respond is by telling Mackster to shut up.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think the Giants are that good. Their midfield isnā€™t as strong as it used to be. They also crumble against sides who tackle and pressure well. If we play like we did last year against them in the second half of the season we should win. Also, Smith and Shiel will be super motivated to win this game , probably will play like a final