JLT Form - Anyone concerned?

I partly agree.
So then - in that case based on what you just said - what makes you think we’re that good?

I hope you’re right.

Welcome to Blitz, Zach.

2 Likes

GWS killed Sydney in the 1st JLT encounter. Murdered them across every line. Now Sydney may or may not have been trying out different structures and plans but the same could have been said for GWS.

They will be a formidable opponent this season.

1 Like

Very good observation.

No.1 concern for me is our midfield/forward line connection and our forwardline set up. If you look at all the goals we kicked in both JLT games, there were 2 goals kicked where leading forward marked and kicked a goal. (First minute vs Carlton Daniher marked on the lead and kicked it. Last minute vs Carlton Laverde marked on the lead and kicked it).

Common theme was we kicked a lot of goals out the back. Not one goal against Geelong where leading forward took a chest mark and kicked a goal. This was the problem last year for the first 8 rounds.

No.2 our defenders getting out marked. Without Hooksy we look short at the back. I have given up on Harts. We need to give BZT a chance now.

No.3 is the slow progession of Parish, Langford, Clarke, Much etc. It is so up and down. I don’t know what’s going on. Parish and Langford are in our best 22 when in form.

I am worried.

2 Likes

Far too polite - especially from you @Diggers.

You should be leading by example and telling him to tell me to F#ck off!

1 Like

Didn’t Sydney tear shreds off them the week before? I could be wrong…

Basically admitting that Sydney are shyte. Thats a change, Diggers.

I don’t know that we are that good but I also don’t know that any other side is a standout.

What I do know though is all the things required to win a flag are there:

The list has quality all over the field.

We have an experienced coaching panel along with some younger types not far removed from the game.

We have world class training facilities.

We have an exciting gameplan that has stood up against good sides ie. WC, GWS, SYD, Pies, Adel, etc…

The only question mark for me is if they want it enough or are they going to look for excuses.

The last three years have shown that if you believe and work hard you can win it.

1 Like

we actually have a very high success rate of kicking goals once inside our 50.

In fact I think we may be either the disgust or at least in the top 3.

What we don’t do well is get it in the 50 enough.

That’s understandable and probably the way a lot of supporters feel about their ‘middle of the road’ teams. I just look at each season individually and not as a collective. I still get disappointed in losses and efforts but it’s relative.
A lot of questions may never be answered eg our use of early draft picks. Blues have done well and had some luck and with Cripps, Dow and Walsh have a very good midfield locked in for a decade if they keep them all. We like Myers cause of what he can do when fit (which is unfortunately not often) and he showed that in a couple of games last year. I’d love a really strong consistent big mid (not asking much). A player like Fyffe, Kennedy, Martin, Cripps, Ward, Wines, Bont or even Pendles. I do rate Hepp, but we have a lot of the same in the middle. All v good players but no match winning leader that can turn a game.

I am concerned- agree we look small and not nearly as organised around the ball as the pre season narrative lead me to believe. Until we win our first game I will remain concerned. Had big hopes for this year but am worried now.

I was with you till the last couple of lines.
I think that is just cheap marketing talk. No offense.
A team that is good enough in all and every way, will win the premiership. That includes millions of things. The evidence that they were the best is clear - they won, therefore achieving their goal. You can dissect this down to different levels and talk about list-calibre, mental fortitude, synchronicity, luck, team health, management, preparation, game style and plan - hundreds of things. And then you need to apply all that to every other team you are competing against. But the best team is the one that won. Everyone else follows behind.
I think that your last line is absolutely inaccurate.

2 Likes

Welcome to our awful website.

I remember when I helped create this place. It was around the time I’d never miss a preseason/intraclub game and would panic if we didn’t win by x margin. Now (almost 20 years later) I don’t even bother watching them on TV. I’d be more concerned if we don’t win a final this year. I’d suggest others do the same.

8 Likes

I am concerned because our players are not known for their ability to ‘turn it on’ at will. I fear we will be a slow starter this year again. I just hope it’s not too bad.

1 Like

Should still be competitive with Essendon, though.

I’m concerned that I don’t care. The sooner GWS roll us the sooner we can start wallowing.

1 Like

After a shocking start to the year we still finished 7th for inside 50s. I’d like to know what that placement would be over the last 14 rounds.

1 Like

Looking at the results of the other JLT games, Id say its not a perfect indicator. Preseason poor form definetly doesnt mean season proper will suffer. I mean you always want a win right? There were some interesting upsets across the comp.

My main concerns are any injury clouds over our midfield group. Whereas I think we have depth for Hooker, reports of Zmerrett, Heppell having niggles and playing below their best is a worry.

I also think the club would have preferred Raz and maybe TBC to have had another hit out too.

1 Like

If I were the club I’d be terrified of RAZ & TBell getting injured. Along with Laverde, they seem so likely to get hurt. But those two are vital to our list. I wouldn’t worry about Hepp & Zerret.

1 Like