JLT1, Saturday Feb 24. vs Richmond 16.45 Wangaratta - oops

Rivals decide on big show of strength in their JLT series match
By Jake Niall20 February 2018 — 7:19pm

Richmond will field a near-full-strength side against a similarly strong Essendon in their opening JLT Community Series match at Wangaratta on Saturday.
While teams often rest key players in pre-season games at this time of year, the Tigers and Bombers are mindful there are only two full-scale pre-season games this year before round one.
Their stance is expected to be shared by most clubs in their first serious pre-season game, clearly a reaction to the AFL’s reduction of JLT games and introduction of AFLX.
The Dons said they were likely to play all three of the recruits they signed during the trade period – Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad.

Richmond’s head of football Neil Balme said the Tigers expected their leading players – Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt – to play in the first JLT game, although their time might be managed.
Balme said the Tigers would play most of their best available players because ‘‘we’ve only got two [JLT] games’’.

The most notable absentees for Richmond will be Daniel Rioli, who broke his foot in the grand final and is still not right ready to play, and Dion Prestia, who is recovering from a slight hamstring strain.
Essendon’s head of football operations Dan Richardson said, subject to training today, the Dons ‘‘expect we’ll be selecting a relatively strong side on paper’’.
Richardson, who crossed from the Tigers to take up his position with Essendon, said recruits Stringer, Smith and Saad were all ‘‘likely’’ to play on Saturday. Richardson said key back Michael Hurley, who has had a sore wrist, would probably play.
Gun forward Joe Daniher, skipper Dyson Heppell and key onballer Zac Merrett were also likely starters.
Under the pre-season rules, the first round of JLT games permits up to 26 players – eight on the bench – and unlimited interchanges. But there are restricted rotations in the second and final JLT game.
Essendon would also look at managing the time of key players on Saturday, Richardson said.

2 Likes

The vitriol we copped for deciding to fly the team to Wangaratta!

“The AFL noted that extreme weather conditions meant that Essendon was unable to reach Wangaratta by air for the match,” the league said in a statement. “However, it also resolved that alternate travel arrangements were available to the club and therefore Essendon’s inability to attend the match was ultimately within its control.”
The Bombers had a bus on standby, but Hird said on Sunday they chose not to use it as they were assured by the airline right up until flight time that flying would not be a problem.

Truly bizarre. So … presumably if something had happened to the Saints bus on the way up they’d have been chastised because they had decided against flying?

3 Likes

Should be a good hitout, can’t wait

1 Like

I reckon we might see our #1 and 2 ruckmen in the squad. We dont want to make either ruck 100% game time or risk Joey in the ruck. I would say 50% game time for each ruckman would be enough.

4 Likes

Will also never forget how much st Kilda pushed to get the “win”

Wouldn’t mind seeing smack as no.2 to be honest. He offers something when the ball hits the deck that the other two don’t.

1 Like

Agree. Smack and Stewart are competing for the one spot imo

If smack could get the ruck frees against out of his game I’d be seriously tempted to pick him ahead of Stewart purely for his ruck work.

Waste

I want to see a improvement defensively. That’s what I’m looking for. If Richmond score at will and we are a mess defensively, il be disappointed

6 Likes

If Woosh carries through with his comments about not wanting JD in the ruck then it will be Smack vs Stewart as the pinch hitter.

Be interesting to see what happens there.

Stewart offers more as an actual forward, Smack more as a ruck. If only need a 20% ruck then really it should be Stewart doing it, wonder if he been training as such through preseason.

1 Like

We need to become that team that’s hard to play against, Far to often teams have it far to comfortable.

1 Like

Is the game televised in any way?

Yeah, Fox

1 Like

I’d pick Stewart ahead of Smack everyday of the week and twice on weekends. We know what Smack is and what he isn’t. The inconsistency is still there after all these years and when he is bad he is really bad. Stewart has upside and was pretty good after breaking into the team last year.

6 Likes

If Stewart can get his ruck work to an adequate level he’ll be very handy

Taking it up their … what? :hushed:

3 Likes

Club has been preaching all summer on improving the defensive part of thier game we shall Saturday.

Ditch this preseason baloney(jlt/aflx) and just extend the season proper by a month. Throw in an extra bye round if the players need it.

Preseason comps are so pointless.

1 Like

I agree, however its all down to the stadium availability.

1 Like