John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Hard to understand why people keep bringing this up when Hird himself has said it won’t happen.

Charming- keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.

He talked about this in the presser

Woosha - “Pretty much everything I’ve ever read about any great team... has great player leadership ...and they set the tone. That doesn’t mean coaches don’t coach, you’ve got to understand that. Simple people would take that out of context!”

Considering the number of posters who had the inside scoop during trade week, I am surprised that no one now can answer this one question.

1 Like

Lot’s of simple people around, though.

4 Likes

Surprised by what?

I can’t watch his pressers anymore. They do my head in.

3 Likes

I’m confused. Aren’t we ripping into the coaches for changing a winning gameplan from last year? Now you are saying we needed to introduce another, whole new, gameplan all along?

Isn’t that the idea of the failed changes from the start of 2018?

It’s pretty simple guys.

The players aren’t buying into a gameplan that isn’t working to address weaknesses in our run and gun style that the opposition worked out but also led to us winning games that resulted into a mid table finish and a club culture that accepts mediocrity so we hired talent to introduce tweaks to the gameplan (that isn’t working and our players aren’t buying into) so this club that accepts mediocrity isn’t mediocre anymore. Plus Xav apologised for his tweet after that Brisbane Lions game 2 years ago.

1 Like

So you’re saying it’s an easy fix?

1 Like

Skills, attitude, professionalism. There drills were vastly different which I expected but they trained how they play. I also liked and saw a drill that was without defenders. It was high intensity opposition defence doesn’t dictate what they with ball in hand.

1 Like

I’d like to see how said game plan goes when we don’t fumble, hit targets from 30m and convert easy shots on goal.

4 Likes

Not aiming this post at you but this was the best one to quote from.

I get that Worsfold believes great teams are player driven, but it usually needs to be reigned in from time to time by a coach.
Training needs to be focussed and targeted towards achieving the end result which is optimum performance the following week and ongoing building performance through the season.

The video posted above is terrible. It may not be the norm, but to me it looks like they are training for an Auskick game against 10 year olds. It actually reflects the bad habits we’ve built in the last five to ten years where we panick a particular situation. No wonder we handball quickly to someone under pressure when a mark is taken. If that is what ‘player driven’ looks like, then we’re comparable to the inmates running an insane asylum than a well drilled football team.

A leader, player or coach needed to step in one minute into that drill and say this is not what we’re supposed to be doing.
That was a five minute drill that was wasted.
Training sessions have more value than that.

I fear that our current veterans have learnt from previous veterans (post Hird, Lucas, etc.) and aren’t aware what is required in game or at training to be able to drive these things.
That’s why we need a better coaching staff who can team these guys what is required.

Oh yeah…
We should also use JLT a lot better to suss out if our gameplan and style is working. Rather than an extension of player fitness / training.

5 Likes

Geelong had that model, but that was after 5-6 years of teaching it. One game bomber basically ignored the 4 points and had each players mind an opponent. If the opponent went to the bench, so did the Geelong player. Woosha is either naive or lazy if he thinks these players can pull that off now

Well, both. …(Cue Optus ad)

DO DO DOO DO DO DO DO DO DO DOOOOO
DO DO DOO DO DO DO DO DO DO DOOOO

The coaches dot the i’s, the players cross the t’s.

I don’t get this whole ‘buying into the game plan’. All reports are that we didn’t change much apart from some slight defensive structure/ team defence application changes. All the commentators are saying we have not changed and team have worked us out which is why we cannot score.

Either we have changed drastically and the player are incapable of implementing it or we haven’t and there is something else considerably wrong.

[quote=“Blummers32, post:5980, topic:12973”]
value
[/quote]A leader, player or coach needed to step in one minute into that drill and say this is not what we’re supposed to be doing.
That was a five minute drill that was wasted.
Training sessions have more value than that.

I’m not going to try and defend the footage as I know that will upset people. However…we don’t know what the aim of the drill was or when it occurred. That is a drill that is used to train repeat contests.
So for a minute pretend " ok, the purpose is to get to contest after contest at each end of the drill. Don’t drift away from the contest and don’t hang back at an end. Disposal is less important, I want repeat effort and I don’t want anyone stopping, you must keep up. We are doing 5 minute blocks.’
Again, not trying to defend. It may well have been a poorly executed drill but we aren’t aware of what the aim was although certainly continuos contested work was part of it.

1 Like

Everyone is getting last season and this season confused as they dont really know what they are watching.

Last season, our major issue early revolved around team balance more than anything. We went in significantly too top heavy, compounded by the fact that JoeyD was being played injured.

You can take it from me - it took outside of the direct footy department intervention to fix the structure and football vision last season. The media was on the right track with the whole Neeld and communication issue (I am told Woosha was a key part of this as well) - and we basically misread the comp.

This year the issue is different - we are not allowed the play the way we want, and we dont seem to have an alternative/answer. We seem physically unprepared for the season - we seem to be behind the eight-ball again with the new rules. There is a reason why scoring is lower - so many more players are staying in the arcs so finding half a ground of space on a defensive transition is near non-existent. I have touched base in the last non-Essington game thread that these rules have been counter-productive for the AFL. Not playing the extra JLT/practise match was just madness and further highlights a club who has a bit of its you know what up its you know what.

The game is fluid is constantly evolving and meandering down various paths. The one constant seems to be that we are always behind the curve and playing catch up. No spin from our head coach can change that.

1 Like

I reckon if u were opposition and did no analysis on Essendon you would win if you did your own thing and 5 minutes before the game said:
double team the switch, (fp, hf)
double team TBC or Smack down the line, (ruck, CHB)
double up on the mark to stop Saad and Mckennas run and (Ff, fp)
midfielders build a zone in the centre square.
You still have over 6 players to pick up anyone else.

Tell me another way Essendon are clearing the ball from defence.

1 Like

Wait for the opposition to goal and we have a 40-60 chance of getting it back in the centre.

See, Woosha? Not hard M8

4 Likes