John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

I don’t think I said that the players were coaching themselves. I was more asking whether those great teams/players he spoke of were coached with the specific goal in mind of them taking on more responsibility, or whether it came as a by product of a normal coaching program. From what little information there actually is and from watching pressers, it seems to me Worsfold is attempting to encourage the players to be able to self reflect and correct what might be going wrong, as compared to what they have been coached to do during training, on game-day.

1 Like

LEARNINGZ

6 Likes

I didn’t mean that you were, mate, sorry if it came across that way.

How often does a great gameplan still win a game for a team that can’t hit a target?

So other teams have started blocking the corridor and stopped our run from halfback… the ball still travels faster if kicked, so… maybe execute more quick precision passes by foot? At this level, most players should have a good technique… being able to consistently pick the right option and hit them with a pass is more a psychological thing, dependent on an individual’s ability to remain composed under pressure and rely on muscle memory and rote-learned behaviour… Anything learned through repetition is more reliably recalled by the brain, particularly when it’s stressed or fatigued. Stands to reason then, if the players are making lots mistakes playing Game Plan B it’s because they haven’t practised it enough.

JLT, Rd 1 and Rd 2, second half of last season… just a theory but maybe the guys have not had enough match simulation of plays that don’t involve run off halfback and into the corridor… plays that involve lowering the eyes and picking the right teammate laterally. Hawthorn have turned over a lot of players in 10 years. Yet, year after year, they seem to be elite by foot… I’d suggest drafting is 20% responsible for this and coaching/training in match sim is the other 80%

WC won a flag last year being precise and composed… but us? We can hit teammates in the back from 5 yards but struggle with good decision-making and kick execution on anything more challenging than that.

5 Likes

I asked Matty Dea when I was chatting to him on the weekend but there was so much ■■■ in my head that I really can’t recall the answer.

1 Like

“Pressers” are all loaded with cliche wank (‘a week is a long time in footy’, ‘at the end of the day…’ ad ■■■■■■■ nauseam) that I’ve never seen the point of watching in any sport. I do however want Woosha to end one with “Don’t forget to donate to the flight plan” just to watch the meltdown in here.

3 Likes

The same scouting report would have been available last year and after the rubbish start, only the really good teams could beat us.

I agree that we are susceptible to certain defensive strategies but that’s not the core reason we are getting beaten by bad teams like St Kilda.

It was factor for sure: they played a zone defence through the corridor so, coming out of defence, we hesitated to go through there and went for a hit out lead out wide. Out wide, the Saints played 1:1 so there no easy outs and we ended up kicking long down the line where it was either a ball up/throw in or Saints won the ball.

Hence why we had long periods of the game being played in their front half.

1 Like

hmm- you’re incorrigible

Good one Darli :joy::joy:

And that would have been the same strategy they used in round 21 last year when we won by 7 goals.

Both Giants & Saints have employed the same tactics against us re: blocking up the corridor. Woosha & Co have failed to respond. Hopefully, they have addressed it at training this week.

1 Like

A player would have to be a dill to mouth off about the coach and an even bigger dill to be identified as the source.

2 Likes

There is some recent evidence to suggest that this adjective is entirely appropriate for our playing group.

3 Likes

dill-2500-56a20f953df78cf772718536

2 Likes

IT’S Herbs_Fresh_Thyme_pkt__78184_1434805304_500_750

2 Likes

must. stop. self. can’t…
They’d be in a pickle, for sure.

8 Likes

All good, no need to apologise. Was just hoping to clarify hahaha

These farking pun threads just have to parsley!
I mean…stop!

3 Likes

zaka running out of the back half at the 3rd qtr, opponent 5 odd meters behind him, 5 od meters infront of him too, but he was marking another player.
he gets the ball, what does he do, soon as he gets it, handballs it straight away, to a ruckman, at his feet.

that sums it up. I know it’s just one player, but I reckon he starts most of it with his constant panicking. others then seem to believe they are under pressure too when they aren’t, and it’s just a disease that spreads.

I know other players did it to, but again he is the linchpin in this area, get rid of him and IMO the panic disposal improves across the board.

1 Like