John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Thyme out

3 Likes

I was at that game.

They literally had no strategy in Round 21 last year - they were a complete rabble and easily the worst opponent I saw us play in 2018.

1 Like

I think that’s a complement Darli.

2 Likes

The footy world reckons we are toast. 0&3 makes it very difficult to play finals.

Not by much though according to Squiggle.

The Squiggle live ladder prediction has us finishing the season at 14th, 1 above Fark Carlton.
We are in a diabolical state. WTF have the coaches been doing in the preseason to prepare a side with such talent in such disarray ?

1 Like

sage advice

2 Likes

Let’s get this thread back on track. The question now is: Can Woosha turn it around? Oregano, but that’s just my opinion…

1 Like

A wise man* once said “everyone has a plan, until you get punched in the face
That man was a boxer but the observation is accurate in other walks of life, and sport.

We excel at quick ball movement. But when we get punched in the face, we really suck at what to do next - defend. We fall apart when we are hit hard first up, without getting our momentum going. When we get a good start, we usually keep going, and teams know this. That’s why Rutten was brought in. ‘Composure under fire’. We don’t have it, yet. Some players do - Heppell, in my opinion. Hooker. Smith. A few others. It takes more than a few, though. It takes a cohesive team.

I’m pretty convinced that this is what we have been working on in pre-season. Unfortunately, generating the kind of pressure experienced during live games is pretty much impossible. I’m hoping we get there soon, though.

*may not have been that wise

5 Likes

Nah, the Squiggle ladder is upside down Miss Jane

3 Likes

9 wins? I think that’s a bit optimistic.

4 Likes

Converting your goal shot opportunities to goals early on would help.Our two first quarters have been goal less, where we had gettable shots, and that negates early momentum.

I think having that awareness as a team to adapt and work your way through a tough situation is missing for us. We look lost even with basic plays - first pass ok, second pass ok, and then nothing to kick or handball to. So we then kick in hope to a less than ideal option.

3 Likes

17 Likes

Yes. But these are professional football players with skill. So why does it turn to mud under pressure? That’s what we need to fix. It could be something very simple - and I think, after JLT1, the coaches thought it was. JLT2 and subsequent games start to really emphasise the issue. I could put up a number of reasons why it’s happening, but they would be guesses.

Anyone going on about ‘spuds, gutless, spineless, no plan, pea-hearts’ and so on are great, because you can immediately discount their opinion on…everything. Players with skill are looking terrible as a team under pressure. The first thing that comes to my mind is ‘fear’.

2 Likes

yep - but fear of what? Fear of stuffing up?

Pertinent to recall Hird’s cry of “be brave”.

Exactly. Get punched in the face enough , your offensive plan goes out the window, and you spend the entire round trying to stop getting hurt, minimise the damage, get to your corner and re-coup. You come out next round, and the same thing happens. Fear of failing, of letting people down. A nice shiny team, universally lauded pre-season - failing. Takes a lot of courage - footballing courage, to keep going when you’re getting kicked, and that’s the only way to regain momentum. We have the list to do it. I’m not sure they believe in themselves enough yet. They need to shut all outside talk out - MSM, social media, everything.

4 Likes

Just guessing what their mindsets are at the moment, but I think bunkering down, with a “we are ALL in it together and FARK the REST” attitude may simplify things.

We went from boiled lollies to chocolates last year and now we are back to boiled lollies. But we showed we can play very well when we get it together, so the components of a competitive team is there.

3 Likes

Maybe when we win a flag but as of now the coach is the one that should be coaching.

Deckham, I think theres some merit to what you are saying here.
Some very successful coaches of the past. When they took over teams, they built a defence first through recruiting, emphasis on structure and drilling it into the players. They built this defence and played for the early re-build years, gradually holding opposition teams to reasonable scores, even though their forward line could not kick a winning score, the whole team had a defensive mindset first.

I think we missed this step in the evolution of this team because of 2016. But its not to say that’s the only way. Buckley rebuilt Collingwood through the midfield.

1 Like

Wow I found a copy of the game plan!

The bouquet garnis run and spread with the main action up the guts.

Very attacking, a pleasure to watch.

Forward momentum.

3 Likes

May be an old version as it has Lavender in it!

6 Likes

40 new messages eh. Thought I’d cumin here and see some sage words. Not so…