John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Today was probably his worst game for the efc

2 Likes

I reckon we probably make finals, just. 7th or 8th. but geez i reckon its clear as day he is not the coach to get the absolute best out of this group

We’re a good side, on our day. I believe with the right coach we could be a top 4 side

2 Likes

I think Woosha is very intelligent and a good guy
A good head coach
He needs help on match day though i reckon with a coach who understands the modern game to make moves
It would be a great combination

2 Likes

So many moves that should have been done at half time. Why not switch Francis and Ridley? See how he goes up forward. McKenna in the middle to tag Kelly. No loss doing these moves

2 Likes

taking out the belief that he should be doing more pre game, selecting better mixes for game day etc, what do people expect him to do on gameday ?

I used to believe in having plan b, through to z etc but watching an arnold schwarzenegger and his explanation of why he never had a plan b for his life, it made sense.

so yes he should be picking players who can perform basic skills etc even before the game granted and i agree he sucks at that.

but the players can barely execute plan A half the time, what hope have they got of being able to perform multiple game plans ?

i agree maybe throw some of the players around if and when certain things aren’t working, but IMO it’s already to late because you haven’t picked the right setup for the gameplan you want to execute.

I still have no ■■■■■■■ idea how they replace raz with langford, they are nothing alike in every single aspect, so your plan A is already ■■■■■■ before the first bounce.

The key is, the coach and players have to both agree on what way they want to play.
then they have to be honest about who is and who isn’t up to playing that way.

that is the only way we improve, but they won’t, they want a fun filled good time with their mates and just assume it’ll figure itself out.
no one wants to be the bad guy and say, players x y and z you’re good blokes, you’ve been around for awhile, but look you just aren’t going to take us to success.

I believe we were out coached today. I also believe we were out hunted and outclassed around the ball and dealing with the pressure. We weren’t able to apply any pressure and we coughed up the pill by over possessing via handball under pressure. We even missed easy targets and simple shots for goal. Smith, Francis x2 and Langford all missed relatively simple shots by AFL standards. You can’t do that against quality. I feel like Geelong planned perfectly for what we’d throw at them today. They crowded the corridor and applied the clamps to Saad and McKenna off half back. They played a possession game that took away the ability to play fast on the counter. They kicked wide when exiting the D50 to avoid the hurt factor on the turnover. It also took field position away for us if the turnover occurred with only a small area of the ground to kick to. It was a smart plan and perfectly executed. They’re by far the best side I’ve seen this season. Better than Collingwood & GWS IMO.

18 Likes

Am I the only one who is confused by this type of statement? He is a good head coach, that doesn’t know what to do on game day. Can you imagine saying that about Clarkson, Hardwick, Buckley, etc.

I see this type of stuff posted constantly in this thread by people who are actually trying to defend him. What is he actually good at? Please, can someone give me anything to work with.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t mind seeing worsfold coaching from somewhere else. And for anyone else.

4 Likes

Wins are definitely the responsibility of our coach. That’s the way they’re judged long term. But to try and blame him for today’s loss is a long bow.

The Cat’s are the yardstick. We are not up to the challenge yet. Our skills are horrible. But we took the Pies to 4 points who are up there with the Cats. Even with bad skills…and umps.

It’s frustrating to see people lose their mind after 1 average game. Give it a few more before going calling for Woosha’s scalp.

2 Likes

Do we count rounds 1 & 2 in this? What about last season?

Every time we win against below average teams, does the counter restart?

3 Likes

Last year was get out of jail card on the back of having the side playing great footy in the back half of the year.

This year we have not progressed at all and are showing similar flakiness.

Other teams’ head coaches get assistance on match day from other assistant coaches

Do we have good assistant coaches to help Woosha?

Count whatever you want.

Last year it was round 9 before we started playing decent footy. This year round 3. I’m not even sure how we’re going as well as we are with the form of some of our blokes.

But instead of looking at our club in isolation, maybe check out the rest of the comp. Every single club apart from Geelong has form that has been all over the shop. There are no gimmes these days.

What are these moves that Woosh isn’t doing. Hooker forward? Is that it?

Harding sits next to him.

What is Harding”s track record ? Is he a good assistant coach?

All of them are modern, tactical coaches. I am telling you now they are far more involved than Worsfold on Game Day. And I truly don’t believe you can be a good Head Coach, and not very good on game day. One is needed to be the other.

Collingwood has been pretty strong all year.

We don’t get to use that as an excuse. Teams like Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, etc. have all made it to the mountain top in the past decade so they can afford to have form slumps. We have been ■■■■ for 20 years, we just continue to be ■■■■.

Honestly, I’d like to see him make any changes on Game Day when we are losing. We did the exact same thing for the entire game, which is what he always does. I think we also made the wrong selections this week. Again.

I’d like to see him bring through some of these guys that are excelling in the VFL and drop some of these ‘experienced’ players that consistently go missing in big games.

1 Like

Harding is game strategy and opposition analyst.

He’s worked at a few clubs and apparently is highly respected but who really knows.

I personally like our gameplan but not convinced that Woosha is getting enough out of the list and I think the players are too flaky.

V[quote=“Saucy, post:6769, topic:12973”]
Collingwood has been pretty strong all year.

We don’t get to use that as an excuse. Teams like Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Sydney, etc. have all made it to the mountain top in the past decade so they can afford to have form slumps. We have been ■■■■ for 20 years, we just continue to be ■■■■.
[/quote]

Yet we only just lost to the Pies. And beat Brisbane who are on the same wins. This is a weird circular argument that only HAP could make sense of.

Personnel won’t change during the season so let’s just chill and judge it all come season’s end.

I reckon it’s going to click any week now and we’ll burst into the top 4 with a long winning streak

1 Like

These sorts of things only happen to other clubs