John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Then sign up now. He’s not the senior coach of the footy club as of yesterday… regardless of how they spin it.

Take a look a this video from not quite two weeks ago…this is apparently the guy whose known for ages he doesn’t want to coach after next year and wanted to do a succession plan.

3 Likes

Baggage.

Clubs will stick with a fresh face longer than someone who’s already failed at another club.

I’m waiting on the Ryder decision.

Lol for or against?

AGAINST X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

6 Likes

Ok, I will put you down as a “maybe” then

10 Likes

Couldn’t it also be a proud guy who has a year of his contract to run and, given the family time he had sacrificed, being determined to see it out? Remember for a couple of months now, media have been reporting almost weekly on the possible consequence of a ‘heavy loss’. He didn’t want to be sacked, didn’t want to walk away and wanted to see through what both he and the club had agreed upon.

He reports of honest and regular communication with X and had also stated that he was not in a position to commit either way beyond 2020.

We honour his contract, treat that and him with the respect that he deserves whilst transitioning in a guy that we rate very highly. Much better than the clubs that jumped mid season.

9 Likes

I’m concerned we have already put the cue in the rack for next year and are willing to call it a developmental year.im sick of developing and even not developing.id prefer to bite the bullet now,next year smacks of ‘treading water’ already with the excuse of process writing all over it.

Geezus we ain’t going to well here woosh. Over to you truck, it’s all yours.

I’m surprised you went so hard to make your point Darli, rather than just acknowledging that your interpretation of the truth behind the lies is just one of many possibilities. You started well when you said “I feel”, but then you slipped into the accusation (I think?) that we aren’t that smart if we believe that both John and the club are quite comfortable with this new arrangement.

Also, most decisions in business and government are made using some form of cost-benefit analysis, which is based on teleological/utilitarian ethics ie the greatest good for the greatest number (and sometimes misused as the end justifies the/any means). Given AFL is completely outcome oriented - only flags matter - football club decisions are most probably cost-benefit based ie based on expected consequences - do we think that decision gets us closer to a flag?
I don’t see any other way to run a footy club, and I could really make a thorough case for using virtue ethics - ie build a virtuous footy club - which 99% of fans would laugh at as they want the focus on the outcome/flags not ‘moral’ victories by upholding principles.
Also, are you in the PR profession? Or am I confusing you with another poster?

2 Likes

I consulted for while in PR a long while. Thankfully no more :grin:

Your ethics theory is interesting and one that I think would require a cosy fire and a couple of bottles of red to fully explore but can I simply say it’s not and never should be either or.

2 Likes

The Ewok really reminds me of FreeSpirit sometimes.

I forgot about that guy - he was sort of a more insane version of @Henry_s_Angry_Pills

That was an excellent post except for the minor point that “governments” make such teleological decisions ( and there have been footy club presidents who’ve made decisions based on what will get me re-elected rather than what will win a flag, similar to many politicians)
I think the “virtue based” decision making reached it’s apogee in 1993, when Sheedy’s commitment to indigenous players was actually rewarded with a results based outcome as well (I know Derek Kickett may disagree)

Since then AFL has definitely become more cutthroat in terms of it’s absolute focus on Premierships, which is at odds with the recent realisation that people skills are just as important within a club.
It’s in that context I await the Woosha / Rutten duumvirate with interest.

1 Like

Types too well

:astonished: Woah!

He was an odd bod - he sort of promoted love and peace with his blitz name and then simply refused to agree with anyone, and if you challenged him he got a bit nasty.

He was one of the first bullockings I got on blitz.

I think I was trying to say mars bars seem smaller these days.

6 Likes

I understand we have all seen politicians (and colleagues) who seem to make decisions based on one thing - what benefits their own career ambitions ie self interest is what drives them.
But that is not the majority of government decisions. A lot of what governments do is around legislation and regulation, and the principle underpinning laws is that if we all follow them, then as a society we’ll be better off (that’s teleological/utilitarian).
And governments are made up of people like most of us, that try to do a good job - for ourselves, but also for our customers, students, fellow employees etc ie do a job which benefits the many stakeholders affected, rather than being driven by self interest only.

And to make this relevant - I think Worsfold’s strongest attribute is his dedication to the players, the team, the club and his family.

3 Likes

he thought he was a free thinking hippie, he was just a nietzsche zealot trying to masquerade as if they were his ideologies instead of others…

Was probably the nastiest piece of work on here when in one of his moods, which was often.

think Combackdimma used to cop alot of it from him, which makes me wonder were he went, he was good value.

1 Like

I remember going back and forth with him during hirds last year

Hird getting the boot broke him, wasn’t really seen after that

He was as stubborn as anything but I admired his passion