John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

Fark the facilities.
Fark the debt.
Fark the marketing.

Start winning finals,and all will be well.

Invest in that.

3 Likes

That’s an 11 month investment before the first test.

Let’s look at the last few months

• We appoint a 10th permanent director to the board despite being told that was defintely not what the changes to the constitution were for and that it would only ever be used on a short term basis to fill a very specific urgent need. (obviosuly we urgently need more pokies experience)

• Simon Madden backs Woosha then a week later he’s no longer the guy and apparently the board had been discussing the succession plan for ages (Someone should have told Simon)

• Worsfold sacked after months of undermining and leaks (yeah yeah I know…not officially sacked but we all know what it was)

• Merrett saying stuff you wouldn’t want to hear from a leader re it’s OK for Joe to worry about himself over the club

• The concocted cacophony that was the BS succession plan presser where the guy who was just sacked is the only one to walk away with any integrity

• Xavier denying any interest from Sydney in Joe at above presser yet the very next day there’s a story on the AFL website saying Swans wouldn’t give up pick 4 (Cal Twomey I think…he’s one of the good ones)

• Paddy ■■■■■■■ Ryder implies we have a culture problem and chooses St Kilda after months of negotiations AND after being handed his life membership, by Xavier at the club. (now I would be the last person to want Ryder back so I’m not disappointed with this outcome but the how certainly rings alarm bells)

Feels like we’re not in Kansas anymore

14 Likes

Darli goes bang!

100% fckn concur with this, Darli.

Well said. I’d also add in the fitness/performance staff debacle (how the sackings were handled - both timing wise and also with no announcement months later re: replacements).

I hope Xavier is under the pump right now, coz he should be.

4 Likes

You do realise that Sydney saying they are not giving up pick 4 for anyone wasn’t actually about Joe, it was just how Twomey presented it? They were asked if pick 4 was on the table for someone and they said no. Twomey then said they wouldn’t give it up for Joe.

Today Tim Watson said that Sydney had not approached anyone about Joe, Joe had not told Sydney or Essendon that he was thinking of leaving.

And using Judas and his pot shot at the club to then have a go at the club yourself makes you look just as bad as Judas himself. BTW Paddy NEVER implied we have a culture problem, he just said he wasn’t feeling it. Not even remotely the same thing Darli.

5 Likes

It’s a shame that you see it that way.

Simon did back Woosha and he was proven right as he remains with the club to see out his contract.
We dont ‘all know that he was sacked’. I don’t. He has a contract as does Rutten and they are both at the club in the same roles with a understanding that we transition to Rutten. Worsfold had said that he could not commit beyond his current contract due to the situation of being separated from his family. He also said that he’d had a number of very honest discussions with X during the year and that this had always been his position.

Quoting Cal Twomey with the accompaniment that ‘he is one of the good ones’ so we should believe him but carry on slagging off all the others is, in my view, a strectch and as Ice has put it the Ryder comment is just plain wrong. He said that he ‘wasn’t feeling it’. Paddy is uncomfortable speaking to camera and sounds like he was caught up and not quite sure what to say. I don’t see how on earth you could attribute this to a ‘culture’ problem.

Certainly no culture problem with Saad, Stringer, Smith and Shiel all choosing us despite numerous clubs chasing them.

4 Likes

Can’t be bothered addressing your other points of which all I would dispute your interpretation of. But that Ryder comment is really disingenuous to be quite honest.

3 Likes

Paddy Ryder basically said he didn’t feel good going back to the club.

Look you know the way his manager (and any other good manager ) works right?
In order to get the best deal out of stkilda, Connors needed a putative alternative. That, was Essendon.
Once the deal with stkilda was done, Ryder could reveal his actual feelings. Feelings of guilt and uneasiness.

1 Like

The problem with your post Darli is that you present a hopelessly unbalanced version of reality. For example you omit the critical issue that we have successfully resigned ALL of our young talent. Their positive view of the club and it’s future is a most important indicator (2nd to onfield success) of a strong culture being created at the club.
Worse than this, Ryder just visits the club, and somehow you think his interpretation of the vibe (as reported by a media addicted to sensationalising everything) ranks ahead of players who live there.

10 Likes

Dude, come on, we aren’t paying em peanuts. Those players re-sign for multiple reasons - namely - mateship, money, future promise of success with a group of their mates, etc. You can’t state what is the ‘most important factor’ to those players who have stuck with us. If one was to personally ask me, I would say that the bonds created between the players hold definite weight in their decision making processes. And go figure. They are young blokes. Gee - when I was in my 20s, my mates were my world. I look back on that time with nostalgia and the fondest of memories. Are footy players any different? Young blokes thrust into the limelight and earning huge salaries. In the spotlight. I really don’t think they analyse ‘club culture’ or ‘brand’ - etc - all that much. Culture for them means their mates and mateship/bonds they create within the group. If I were wrong, then we would have seen massive numbers of player defections (with the system semi-allowing for that). But, we really haven’t. This should be lauded and speaks to both Aussie culture and the emphasis placed on mateship, etc.

The gist of Darli’s post (as I read it) is that there are definitely issues within our footy department. You can still love the EFC, but criticise the admin for how they are running it. Darli hasn’t potshotted the players or team - but the management. As someone who works in the industry of helping organisations improve, I can tell that Darli has experience in this area. She is obviously well versed in the jargon and her BS meter is a highly tuned instrument. The other point is to read between the lines and not just swallow any BS that is peddled out by the club.

Points 1-3. Valid/merit.

Point 4 - valid unless there is something going on in the background that we aren’t aware about.

Point 5. Hell yeah.

Point 6. Speculative - but we aren’t silly/ naive enough to believe that when people publicly say that discussions haven’t been held - that in 100% of cases this is the absolute truth.

Point 7 - Darli said ‘implied’. And although speculative - I certainly interpreted Ryder’s comments as being a combo of his own nervousness at how he had shafted us and also the fact that we are clearly in transition re: coaches, changes in our footy department, etc, and he commented on that. Judas prolly wanted a red carpet and hamper, however, it just wasn’t like that. But, I also can’t imagine that the place was pumping with enthusiasm either. And Darli is bang on re: the life membership and Xavier. Should never have been invited in for an interview.

Again, being able to criticise a club’s admin doesn’t mean one doesn’t love the club. It isn’t binary. Successful clubs/teams/organisations have strong leaders/leadership and effective processes and programs in place. I can’t see how anyone truly serious about the EFC can defend the club’s admin and fail to realise that it is our weakness in this area that is holding us back from becoming a mighty force again. We need stronger ‘football’ administrators in our club. We have enough biz guns on our Board. It’s high time to bring back some footy people again. Why? Because they won’t neglect the footy department like Evans and Campbell have done, while (successfully) building off field success for the club.

5 Likes

Don’t know why Darlis post is controversial.

Club stinks like sht at the moment.

Some very strange goings on in the second half of the year.

I really want to know who’s decision it was to play injured players. It didn’t save Crowe or Wooshas jobs and I doubt it was being led by them, who was calling the shots? We still don’t have and adequate explanation for the doggies game, if you believe the narrative that the Woosha decision was made post season I have a bridge to sell you.

8 Likes

Unlike St Kilda the club he chose? Please.

Yes we do, people just choose to reject it.

Mate the facilities were needed, it’s attracted the 4 S’s if not anything else. That and going solo in the VFL.

Well there is the fact that some of it is made up - but yeah ok.

1 Like

massive darli rants and John rain sob stories.

lotta reading

Fark him. He basically called us a moribund club (in polite terms). And he was fckn wrong. He is nothing but a mercenary - keen on coin.

But, this is besides the point. Ice - surely - you can see that our failure to be a successful onfield footy side isn’t simply a case of the coach or injuries or list management, etc. It is a LT issue now and it goes to the very top. That is what I am banging on about. We need stronger footy people at the top of the tree. That’s my point and I am holding firm on it. And - yes - I am keen to hear your thoughts on how our club is being managed from the very top and why you seem to think they should be immune to criticism. 6 years next year for Xavier and footy wise - we are still mid-table.

1 Like

You could definitely get a job in the media.

Someone give me one logical reason why we’d keep Worsfold for another year? What benefits are there?

Is this literally so we don’t have to pay him out?

Good grief. Worsfold’s “Give a Fck meter” would decline as almost anyone else would in their last year in a job.

4 Likes

Stability.

or memes

1 Like