John Worsfold - will not get a new contract in 2021

That’s gratifying. Thanks.

That’s normal, we’re only a couple of days into pre-season. It’s takes everyone a while to understand new roles.

As long as they figure it out before JLT…

I’d dispute the terminology in the context of the timeframe.

tl;dr: Rubbish.

What about the learnings though? Please tell me we have had some good learnings. We are nothing as a club without the learnings.

5 Likes

Good to hear John telling it like it is. No sugar coating, no learnings bs . Virtually admits his family living in Perth for last 3 years was untenable which was a red flag for me over the last couple of years. But now we face lots of change and that’s what many on blitz have been looking for.

3 Likes

The only way something like this works in practice is if things are super explicit. Everyone needs to know exactly what has been delegated and exactly what remains John’s decision. Otherwise it’s a cluster ■■■■, I’ve seen it first hand. I trust that the club has done the work to make it work, but I’m a touch cynical

Ffs

Players come to him for answers and he directs them to rutten…um…so what is the point of him staying around then? What is he actually doing?

There is no way joe can or should still be in the leadership group. They guy asked to leave ffs! Just spineless by the club if he is still in it

Not great to have a go at Conor in the media either, keep it in house when it comes to stuff like that

2 Likes

My take on it is this.

coaching plan/ set ups is ruttens - caracellas.

Woosha

• the man manager,
  • moves the players on the white board
  • does the Media

Rutten

• Defence, Gameplan
  • Half time interviews

Caracella

• Forwards and Ball movement/Game Plan

With a change in game plan etc, its really best if old heads are there. Thats why I like that Hooker and Tippa were there day 1. And Dev Smith and Stringer Day 2.

Sounds like we didnt know about Skipworth leaving till the last minute, this may be a blessing in disguise

1 Like

Joe in the leadership group? I am OK with it, provided he stands in front of the players and honestly explains why he wanted out and re affirms his commitment to the group and the club feels they can redress his issues for their part. Should he be punished? Should he be dropped from the leadership group? It all depends on his responses and attitude from day 1 of the preseason to the date of the decision.
IMO

2 Likes

1 Like

They wouldn’t have even got to point of selecting leadership group yet

So technically JD is still in it until they have the player vote / decision

Frankly he should not be in it next year. Should focus on his physical and mental health instead. Leave all the additional meetings and what not to others

His leadership can be exhibited on field & around the club in general and if he stays

1 Like

I wonder just how important leaders are at a club if it doesn’t seem an issue for us to retain either Woosha or Joe.

Most prominent sides of the last decade or so have had strong leaders or in Richmonds case many strong leaders but on face value it appears we don’t put much value in it.

If 2020 goes pearshaped then supporters and the media will have plenty of ammunition that is for sure.

Yeah sorry about that. Was bored at work and doing some catch up. Didn’t realise how far behind I was.

1 Like

a leader, to me anyway, is someone who wants to take a group to success, not just someone that wants to lead by example. if joes that type and wants to do that somewhere else so be it, and maybe that’s a question he asked himself.

just musings.

im hoping upon hope that some people aren’t given leadership roles for the sake of keeping them at the club.

Plenty more to his role than just directing players to Rutten. He said as much in the interview.

Do you really think the club should come out and say “Joe won’t be in the leadership group” before players have returned to training? It’s a leadership group based on feedback from the playing group!

He hardly had a go at Conor too. If anything sounded like he wasn’t fussed but thought Conor should have used some common sense.

1 Like

We retained Woosha for an extra year though when we probably didn’t need to.

We also retained Joe when we could have easily traded him out.

Really? You must of seen an offer that was actually suitable, I didn’t see one.

2 Likes

Joe I don’t have an issue with retaining but he should not be a part of the leadership group.

Woosha on the other hand we should have made a clean break. I would have preferred to hear from Rutten at this stage of the year rather than Woosha.

2 Likes

I always see a leader as someone who helps others be their best. That’s why people love good leaders.

1 Like

Lol, Joe being in the leadership group next year would be the most peak essington moment of all time

1 Like