John Worsfold

… why do you hate freedom?

1 Like

I am writing to you this day, to enquire on why you hate Essendon so much.

2 Likes

I asked him. This was his response:

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/user_avatar/discourse.bomberblitz.com/riolio/360/712_1.png
20 Likes

Yeah look that’s a good question. Refused to answer

1 Like

Remaining…tight lipped.

I remember screenshotting that woosha image.

Graham Wright got to see that face up reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaal close one day at Victoria Park. Next thing he saw was the inside of his eyelids.

Reckon you’re on to something there.

#Hockingsgamesmatter

Who could HONESTLY say that they knew how we were going to go this year?

So many variables with the returning players: were they going to take time to get up to speed, would they be the same players, could we create a cohesive team with the playing group, etc.

Regardless of whether we make finals or not, middle of the pack is about what was expected by many, the 7-12 range. We’ve had some great wins, some shocking losses, and we’re going to end up right in the middle.

It seems as though some senior players are moving on, with Watson and Kelly retiring. I hope we make the hard calls on players like Stanton, Hocking, Howlett, Merrett, Morgan, McKernan and possibly some others.

Merrett, Daniher, Parish, McGrath, McKenna, Fantasia are all projecting to be (or already are) top talents in their respective positions, this is the group that will drive us forward.

Veteran leadership from Heppell, Hooker, Hurley guiding this younger group. Need to keep nailing drafts - I think Dodoro has done really well - and hopefully snag a premium midfielder via trade or free agency.

Difficult to judge Worsfold on these two years, last year was such a weird year, and this year was sort of picking up the pieces.

I haven’t been the biggest fan of his gameday tactics or some weird selection decisions - would have liked more games into Langford, Francis (if fit), Begley, possibly Mutch. That being said I guess he is chasing finals hard (and selecting the safer, veteran options over kids) for players like Watson on their last legs.

I think this off-season we will see Worsfold’s stance on certain players, not handing out obligatory deals to returning players, and we will see Worsfold trying to shape the list. He left West Coast in a pretty good spot, in terms of their list.

Next year there are no excuses, he’s had two years to get his bearings in an unprecedented environment, 2018 and beyond should be business as usual and he can be judged free of any saga-related BS.

4 Likes

Woosha gets a few off his back this week.

“LOL next year there are no excuses”… I feel like I have heard that a few times over the past 15 years.

5 Likes

Next year will be a much better measurement on WOOSH

This year he had to gift games to the returning players rather than progressing towards a team that can go somewhere

We needed this season to experiment and test which players were worth keeping and which will unfortunately h ave to be moved on

To be able to do t hat and still end up middle of the ladder is a pretty good effort for a team facing opposition who’ve had a much longer time to gel.

With just one big signing over the off season we’re top 8 material NEXT year, meaning it’ll be this time then that we can judge woosh

2 Likes

If we get a good run with injuries again next year I can see us pushing top 4.

GWS and Adelaide should be strong again but I think we can be in the next group with Geelong, Sydney and Melbourne. I expect to see sharp improvement from Langford, Laverde, Begley, McGrath, McKenna and Parish. With further improvement from Merrett, Joe, Wall and Fantasia I think we can challenge next year.

The competition is at a point where their is a changing of the guard and the more successful clubs are ageing and with little talent. We are part of the new guard and fingers crossed we can come out on top. I’m extremely confident that the club is in a good position.

delete

I reckon this is not true and has not been for a good portion of the year. We’ve played some good good footy but by and large it’s come from the best 16 or 18. The last outside mid spot has given us stuff all, Bird Langford and Myers have been pretty average being rotated through the last inside/grunt mid spot, not to mention Watson has been carried more often than not, one of the back flank spots has had 2 or 3 unconvincing occupants, and there’s been a similar turnstile when we’ve needed to replace a small forward or half forward through injury.

Easily, and I mean super easily, could’ve justified slotting in Mutch, Begley and (2nd half of the year) Ridley into those spots. And Langford could’ve had a small handful more.
If you stop being challenged, it’s easy to get comfortable at the level you’re at and stop evolving. These kids would learn so much from just one or two AFL games.

1 Like

Our fixture won’t be any easier that’s for sure.

4 Likes

You’re really looking pretty skinny with that list of players who should have played. Begley gets a crack this week and not that overdue. No way can you call the others a compelling case for more AFL exposure.
Woosha has put through 52 players since he moved into Tulla with another debut next week a possibility. Tells us he knows a bit about who should can get on the park if and when they are ready.
That 52 players since beginning 2016 could very easily get close to 60 by end next year. Woosha is actually doing a splendid job catering for a lot of different angles in less than 2 years in charge.

2 Likes

According to the cringey ‘Predictions’ thread, lot’s apparelently.

Exactly.

1 Like

Usually I’d agree, but after last year, this is an exception.

4 Likes