John Worsfold

The more I see of Woosha, the more pleased I am he’s here this year. I am starting to feel like he can be the man to lead us out of this rubbish.
I think the way he’s handling everything so far has been great, see here:

Go Dons.

2 Likes

Ps: King is a flog who bends stats to fit his stupid agenda rather than actually looking at what’s going on.

I think there is a clear, sustainable direction we want to play but we are lacking the players to do it. It’s making some pretty frustrating viewing at times but in the long run will have us competing with the best.

Lots of criticism comes from continually going backwards in defense but I think we are wanting to switch as often as possible to get past the press. At the moment it means guys like Gwilt are setting up attacks but when we have a full list to chose from there are some good users and quite a bit of pace off the half back line.

We’re struggling here as well because the midfield just doesn’t have the pre-seasons in them to gut run and get across. We go back to Gwilt to switch the play but only a few have actually got across and the slow movement means opposition cut us off too.

When it comes off we move the ball quite well through the middle or open side but it will take a while for it to click especially with the limited pre-season and selections. I think it’s why guys like Gleeson are getting games ahead of others who perhaps have more talent but have lacked preparation/effort/fitness or whatever you want to call it (not saying I agree with that either, but Gleeson does keep running).

I would love to see Tippa through the middle but after watching him blow up in the Sydney game I think we are trying to slowly build his tank to allow him to put in the effort required. Not a shot at him either, just a first season player who probably can’t run the 15-16kms a game required by a midfielder. As above we also require his speed off half back with the current list. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some midfield minutes as the season goes on.

I think this is also why we keep Kelly in defense. He’s a good user and smart player, he can take pressure and still make a good decision. We could put him in the middle but it would be stopping the development of a lot of our guys and also leave a gaping hole in defense. Next season we bring back Hurley and Hibberd who, at their best anyway, offer the same composure.

I also think we’ve quite clearly identified a lack of small forward or forward pressure in general so have had to play Orazio there when really we need his running in the middle. He’s about the only guy who has great goal sense, works up and back and can crumb and apply pressure. Bags has also gone forward to offer forward pressure and play a ■■■■ down role on half backs because we are often slow to set up the zone and get rebounded on so quickly.

It might seem “dumb” but we’ve been severely hampered with the bans and have had to try and develop the squad for the the future. We could potentially get closer in games if we played Kelly in the middle, Bags continually in defense etc but it wouldn’t necessarily hold us in a better place next season. Parish struggled on the weekend but really worked himself back into it. Zerrett was great but defensively Steven took control of the game. Zaharakis is learning how to handle a tag. Throw a three time premiership player in their and you start to stifle that development.

There have been some puzzling selections(Polky???), poor form for leaders, and I’d like to see some players moved for 5-10 minutes to limit damage, but all in all its a development year and Worsfold has the long term in mind. Extremely difficult to criticise at this stage with the role he was given through no fault of his own.

If ablett doesn’t blow his shoulder out in 2014 GC play finals ahead of us that year, McKenna still has a head coaching gig and Dixon can have as many reds as he wants. Football is a cruel game.

Do you think Woosh is throwing the kitchen sink into this team/season? Do you think he's holding back his real game plan , or is this pretty much it but with lesser players?

In my opinion the game plan, whatever it is, is very simple.

What he is doing is trialling players in different roles. Not just for a 5 minutes here and there, but for whole games.

People wanting structural changes during the game are misreading what the season is all about. Woosha is trying to work out what blokes can and cannot do.

In particular, just at the minute, he is trying to find some semblance of a forward line. And given the weekends very poor performance in clearances, I think it’s fair to say he was trying a few different things in the centre too.

Ps: King is a flog who bends stats to fit his stupid agenda rather than actually looking at what’s going on.

I think there is a clear, sustainable direction we want to play but we are lacking the players to do it. It’s making some pretty frustrating viewing at times but in the long run will have us competing with the best.

Lots of criticism comes from continually going backwards in defense but I think we are wanting to switch as often as possible to get past the press. At the moment it means guys like Gwilt are setting up attacks but when we have a full list to chose from there are some good users and quite a bit of pace off the half back line.

We’re struggling here as well because the midfield just doesn’t have the pre-seasons in them to gut run and get across. We go back to Gwilt to switch the play but only a few have actually got across and the slow movement means opposition cut us off too.

When it comes off we move the ball quite well through the middle or open side but it will take a while for it to click especially with the limited pre-season and selections. I think it’s why guys like Gleeson are getting games ahead of others who perhaps have more talent but have lacked preparation/effort/fitness or whatever you want to call it (not saying I agree with that either, but Gleeson does keep running).

I would love to see Tippa through the middle but after watching him blow up in the Sydney game I think we are trying to slowly build his tank to allow him to put in the effort required. Not a shot at him either, just a first season player who probably can’t run the 15-16kms a game required by a midfielder. As above we also require his speed off half back with the current list. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get some midfield minutes as the season goes on.

I think this is also why we keep Kelly in defense. He’s a good user and smart player, he can take pressure and still make a good decision. We could put him in the middle but it would be stopping the development of a lot of our guys and also leave a gaping hole in defense. Next season we bring back Hurley and Hibberd who, at their best anyway, offer the same composure.

I also think we’ve quite clearly identified a lack of small forward or forward pressure in general so have had to play Orazio there when really we need his running in the middle. He’s about the only guy who has great goal sense, works up and back and can crumb and apply pressure. Bags has also gone forward to offer forward pressure and play a ■■■■ down role on half backs because we are often slow to set up the zone and get rebounded on so quickly.

It might seem “dumb” but we’ve been severely hampered with the bans and have had to try and develop the squad for the the future. We could potentially get closer in games if we played Kelly in the middle, Bags continually in defense etc but it wouldn’t necessarily hold us in a better place next season. Parish struggled on the weekend but really worked himself back into it. Zerrett was great but defensively Steven took control of the game. Zaharakis is learning how to handle a tag. Throw a three time premiership player in their and you start to stifle that development.

There have been some puzzling selections(Polky???), poor form for leaders, and I’d like to see some players moved for 5-10 minutes to limit damage, but all in all its a development year and Worsfold has the long term in mind. Extremely difficult to criticise at this stage with the role he was given through no fault of his own.

If ablett doesn’t blow his shoulder out in 2014 GC play finals ahead of us that year, McKenna still has a head coaching gig and Dixon can have as many reds as he wants. Football is a cruel game.

Do you think Woosh is throwing the kitchen sink into this team/season? Do you think he's holding back his real game plan , or is this pretty much it but with lesser players?

In my opinion the game plan, whatever it is, is very simple.

What he is doing is trialling players in different roles. Not just for a 5 minutes here and there, but for whole games.

People wanting structural changes during the game are misreading what the season is all about. Woosha is trying to work out what blokes can and cannot do.

In particular, just at the minute, he is trying to find some semblance of a forward line. And given the weekends very poor performance in clearances, I think it’s fair to say he was trying a few different things in the centre too.

I do think we need a couple of changes to the coaching panel over the offseason. I've stated in another thread that it's very rare for any club to make no changes to their coaching panel over an offseason and there is no reason to suggest we'll buck the trend and stick with all of the current group for next season. I'm not going to comment on who should go, but I hope he finds the best tactical assistant he can. He had Phil Walsh at West Coast and he definitely needs someone who is going to help with that both during the week and on game day.

You might laugh but I reckon David King.

His analysing of the opposition and getting the numbers is pretty good imo

The same David King who said to trade out half the list for draft picks? Yeah he’d be a winner.

Up there with having Terry Wallace as an expert on list management

Do you think Woosh is throwing the kitchen sink into this team/season? Do you think he’s holding back his real game plan , or is this pretty much it but with lesser players?

Did you guys see his response to the question about McKenna at Gold Coast, he quite poorly lied about not knowing what the comments were then just lambasted the GC Chairman (or CEO?) for his comments. Outstanding.

It wasn’t a lie - it was strategic manoeuvring.
He answered ‘the question’.
If the question was wrong, his answer was obsolete.
Clever.

Sheedy-esque. Repeat the question and then start talking about someone else.

I can't even fathom how anyone could be anything but impressed with what Worsfold has achieved so far.

And that would be?

Are you being serious?

We haven’t the flag Ben, get with the times sheesh…watching all these kids develop into great players, instilling a never say die and never give up attitude, tippa, Zac, Langford, parish, Redman…its just not enough

Playing kids is not an achievement.
Watching kids develop is not an achievement
Installing a never say die attitude and never give up attitude…sure, I’ll give you that one.

I’m not having a go at him as a coach, in fact I was very happy to get him, but don’t think you can say he has achieved anything after 8 rounds, except for perhaps his part in the 5 players wanting to come back. How much of that was his doing, I don’t know.

So he achieved a never say die attitude, and maybe the game plan that has got everyone reasonably excited and the face that a few players may have come back due to him (in a small way) but that is nothing…

I wouldn’t say our game plan is anything special. Our forward line is horrible.

Well I’m excited about next year and really enjoying watching the young fellas have a real hot crack. So what ever. I’m tired and grumpy

That last look back tho

That look says - I used to make Gary ablett think twice before going, shut your cake hole.

It was a simple “Get the answer you were looking for, moron?”

Did you guys see his response to the question about McKenna at Gold Coast, he quite poorly lied about not knowing what the comments were then just lambasted the GC Chairman (or CEO?) for his comments. Outstanding.

It wasn’t a lie - it was strategic manoeuvring.
He answered ‘the question’.
If the question was wrong, his answer was obsolete.
Clever.

Love affair with polk has to end lest we all start to think he’s actually a complete ■■■■■■■ moron.

It would be ■■■■■■ hilarious now if one of the Gold Coast mids came out and said I want to go to Essendon because I want to play under McKenna.

Pathetic by their current chairman, particularly given all the hard work McKenna put in to make them competitive & had them trending upwards on the win-loss year on year. The same coach their previous chairman said they would win a flag under by year 3… I wonder how that’s tracking

I do think we need a couple of changes to the coaching panel over the offseason. I've stated in another thread that it's very rare for any club to make no changes to their coaching panel over an offseason and there is no reason to suggest we'll buck the trend and stick with all of the current group for next season. I'm not going to comment on who should go, but I hope he finds the best tactical assistant he can. He had Phil Walsh at West Coast and he definitely needs someone who is going to help with that both during the week and on game day.

You might laugh but I reckon David King.

His analysing of the opposition and getting the numbers is pretty good imo

Your opinion is wrong

And opinion is never wrong.

It can, on the other hand, be stupid.

Woosha has that persona of the quiet guy that might end up bashing his boss to death with a thermos when he finally snaps.

guess whos getting the thermos

"Does he reckon he should have had the Chairman job at the start as well? So he could have made all of those calls, cause he's got great hindsight..."

“But good on him, ya know, he’s doing well…”

Farking LOL

It would be ■■■■■■ hilarious now if one of the Gold Coast mids came out and said I want to go to Essendon because I want to play under McKenna.