John Worsfold

Habib pls.

Seems to me, last season was a write off, this one probably is too. It takes players some time to come back following a season long injury. I don’t know why we expect the players who are coming back to instantly play to their past potential, slot seamlessly into a team (and dare I say game) that has changed significantly since they left and all the players to learn a new game plan, which would differ greatly from last years ‘develop and try not to get flogged’.

I think supporters will enjoy the season more if they attend games with the same approach they took to last year. Sure we should win more games, but I wouldn’t be pinning my hopes on blasting into finals contention in 2017.

If anyone is still concerned on the JLT results, … may I refer you to SMck’s comments towards the end of his interview after the Gellong game on the website. He let’s the cat right out of the bag, & virtually states the Coaches/clubs exact philosophy on the series, & you will see that what many of us have seen/stated/suggested was happening with the games was correct.

Well now I don’t know what to believe.

“OK Woosha, after JLT we finished 0-3 and gave up match winning leads in all three games.”

"Perfect. The plan worked. "

7 Likes

Not sure what u mean wim?

You think Sean made all that up as an excuse or something?

I mean SMJ just told me to curb my enthusiasm, and then you told me that Baldrick has a cunning plan…

4 Likes

Straight out of the cats playbook

I thought the defensive unit was good last year. Woosh won’t get brownie points there, only can lose them. I think the forward line has all the tools with Hooker, JD and the mosquito fleet. Again, few brownie points on offer.

Where I’ll be measuring Woosh is the midfield and game plan. Last year’s midfield was worst in the league. It must improve, and the level it does will likely impact how I rate Woosh.

Interesting observations Ants.
No doubt Woosha is good.
But what is he good at?

Is he actually more the team “manager” without being the ace tactical game day coach?
Have we had an ace tactical game day coach since Sheeds?
Does it matter anymore? When it gets down to the last 5 minutes and the game is there to be won or lost, generally even the best tactical game day coach puts down the phone and settles in for the ride.

So the key then is getting the group up to the level, and handing them the tools to win from a range of last 10 minute scenarios. We are going to see a lot of this this year. We will see if Woosha has facilitated the players to “win” the game by handling the “end game” better than our opponents more often than not… ,.

To be honest, I don’t care to differentiate. I would hope (don’t know) that the head coach decides the team working for him, especially after two years. So he has to fill in the weak spots and compliment his strengths. Whether its really coming from Worsfold or from the assistant coaches, I have no issues as long as it works.

I should also be clear I don’t necessarily need to see us make the eight for him to get a pass. It depends a lot on how the players come back, what (if any) improvement occurs across the season, luck, injuries (and injury management), and other elements.

Anyone who doesn’t agree that the side/club is better off now than pre-Wooshfold is mental.

1 Like

Obviously the Club is better off with the Saga and penalties all behind us.

Whether Worsfold is a better coach than JHird is a question that will only be answered by results, and to date Worsfold has none. The Players are better off as suspensions are done and most are back, but I would argue that if Ryder, Crameri, Hibberd were in the squad we would be better off.

So perhaps I am mental.

2 Likes

He has a premiership. Fair indication that he’s a good coach.

1 Like

Bomber won two.
More recently.

1 Like

Two premierships. Premierships, two. Mmmmm

9 Likes

I could have coached that mob of drug fiends to a flag. And I was referring to the only team that counts.

1 Like

Not criticising Woosha. for me this is the first year. Last year he was basically a prep school teacher.

In the Knights era, we played a run and gun style, with a relatively poor defence.
In the Bomber/Hird era we built a team with a very very good defence, but the forward line withered and by the end of the Hird era, it was basically impotent, except for one player.
Now in the Woosha era, the defence has withered, and the forward line is looking potent.
The emphasis is now on fast ball movement, and it the same at many clubs, so its sounding like we are going to play “run and gun” again.

So are we about to go “full circle” back to the bad old days of the Knights era ?

IMO we do need to ensure we have the abilities of the forward and defensive units balanced. If the forward line is too strong, maybe Hooker can be sent down back.

Hird wasn’t a great coach imo

1 Like

Controversial.

2 Likes