Josh Schache

Don’t want. Yes, it would be nice if we had him, and could send Hooker back. But our forward line is our strongest area. No way is it worth trading a first round pick, to send Hooker back, and disrupting our forward line.

If we rate him he’d structurally replace Hooker ib a couple of years, which is ideal. If the price is right I’d be keen.

I’d like to think we’ve done a lot of work behind the scenes and know where his head is at, because that sounds like the risk.

1 Like

Joey can teach him everything he knows.

If we are looking for talented kids in around the 21-23 age bracket to build a team together we would surely more be looking for the Jake Lever potential key defender type. We’ve already got the 23 year old power forward in JoeDan, in contrast who are our potential key defenders we’ve got coming through Behind Hurley and maybe Hooker, Aaron Francis?

Ambrose and Hartley.

2 Likes

Who are both very limited and role players. Neither are every going to be an AA type key back, like Hurley or Hooker, or Lever has the potential to be.

Also aren’t they both more in the 25-26 age range than 21-23?

Also I’m not advocating for us to go after Lever, just that it would make more sense during up our young key back stocks, over going after a young key forward.

Schache could well be AA class as a kpf in future.

We also have Mason Fletcher coming as f/s kpd which after 4yrs physical development will align for when Hooker finishes up as a full back. And we have Ridley who could be Lever class 3rd tall.

1 Like

Didn’t realise Paddy was 26. Harts is 24.

I actually believe we haven’t seen all either of them have to offer. I think their best is yet to come Both have only been plying their craft for us down back for 2 seasons now. Harts has played 37 games, Paddy 60 (28 since moving back).

I think they will grow in confidence and become more than serviceable down back. Paddy is a bull and with a great pre season and injury free he’ll kill them next year. I didn’t like seeing Harts get beaten by Hipwood and others at times this year because I believe he has the ability to shut forwards down - he’s done it before. I also love his kicking and think it would be a major asset for our side. I also think he has the ability to get down the ground a little and set up play. Just my views of course but I hope that we can see this happen as they’d set us up down back for 6 years+.

2 Likes

I’ve not seen much of Schache, so only really have his draft rating to go by. If the experts think the original rating was correct, and you could get him for either our 2017 or 2018 first, it becomes hard to turn down. Yes, midfield should be our priority, but if a big enough bargain presents you have to strongly consider it.

But will Brisbane really offer him cheap? He’s contracted, a former #2 draft pick, surely they’d want more than a early teens draft pick?

Also complicating things is we don’t need him now, but we may need someone like that 3-4 years down the track. Would we have the slots for him to develop?

Would love to get Schache on board. He is a serious talent. Of course second year tall forwards tend to struggle, especially when the ball doesn’t come down often as is the case at Brisbane. Joe didn’t deliver much either as a second year player. Schache has all the raw tools to make the grade.

1 Like

We don’t need him this year… as others have stated. We must fix the midfield.

Would I give up next years first rounder for him. Yes indeed.

Schache has shown little in his two years - His skill-set doesn’t seem to have transferred to the AFL, while is intensity is not even state league standard.

You won’t get the chance to get him next year. He’ll either be in yellow and black or he’ll stay and likely improve making it very difficult to trade for him. The time to strike is now.

But you’re right, we desperately need mids. However jackets or was it woosha that said we need to bolster the backline. Bringing in Schache will allow us to do that by releasing Hooker.

Dodoro knows talls, if he rates Schache and we can buy low, then i would back him in.

2 Likes

Except for Francis, he is supposed to be a gun in his second year.

1 Like

Schache is a talent no doubt about it… I know because I live in QLD so I get to see Lions games every ■■■■■■ weekend.

Didn’t have the ideal 2nd year but his first showed a lot to me. Performed very well in the forwardline of a very bad side.

Doesn’t have to be said again, but only if he comes cheap because our midfield issues are bigger than our tall issues. Pick 11 is cheap for a former pick no.2 tall forward after his 2nd year IMO.

5 Likes

I agree.

We don’t know why he hasn’t performed at this stage of his career but he is a number 2 pick and I thought he showed a bit in his first season.

He only turned 20 in August so I think excuses can be made at this stage for a tall forward.

Depending on the price he would be well worth a look if available.

I would prefer him even to a Stringer (although I want both). Watched him a lot as a junior and he was beyond impressive. Is a beauty and would be a phenomenal get regardless of our need for mids.

2 Likes

Looks like we’re gonna be relying on the opposition mids to accidently kick it backwards a lot!

3 Likes

The idea that we can only look to resolve one issue at a time is BS.

We got killed by Sydney overhead in the final. We have one genuine key forward on our list and a 29 year old key defender of who is playing forward. People will say Stewart, but I reckon Lav and Lang are stronger overhead. Stewart plays like a mid-sized player and regularly gets pushed off the line of the ball when competing for marks. His hands are poor anyway.

So yeah, maybe one genuine key forward isn’t quite enough.

3 Likes