Junior footy club song ‘offends’ opposition

Just have one song, and regardless of the result both clubs join arms at the end and sing it.

We tried our best, we had a good run.
We both played hard, but the best team won.
Wait, no, no one won, let’s just say it’s a draw,
Cos some kids might get upset and we don’t want to
Explain to them that sometimes you might win but there will also
Be other times when you might not win so don’t worry about keeping score.
So let’s both agree, that we love to play,
Kids all have such a wonderful day.
But for the love of freak, don’t let there be a winner or loser wait, crap, you can’t say loser cos that’s pretty harsh too, maybe let’s just say the team that didn’t manage to win, wait, frig that means we’ve gotta keep score crap we weren’t doing that man this hard.

10 Likes

I’m assuming some of you guys don’t have young kids, there often aren’t ‘rooms’ to go and sing in.

It’s get in the car and race across town to the other kids sport, followed by a birthday party across town at Timezone, then back to the school for a working bee, having a few kids over for a play date and then if your lucky watch the bombers on FTA

2 Likes

My nephew just started playing for heidelberg and the first thing I told him was just to have fun for now, take it more serious when you become a teenager. They don’t keep score which I still think is crap but I reckon that’s more to do with parents being morons rather than kids being disheartened by being smashed on the scoreboard.

2 Likes

I could give you the “back in the day” or " you think you have it tough" lecture but reality is that while some aspects change, being a Parent can have its tough moments.

Back in 1964, playing Under 13, which was the youngest organised competitions in Melbourne then, we played Saturday mornings at 8:00 am. In my working class suburb, few Fathers got to watch as they were working and Mothers were even rarer. The ground was a cow paddock all week, so before dawn to the light of car headlights, some Fathers and us kids removed cow manure in bags ( land owner sold it) grass was cut with a few old Victas and oval was marked out, sometimes around the most sloppy cow dung patches. No changing rooms and it was very cold and wet in the middle of winter. Away games meant a ride in Mr Daggs removalist van to mostly better grounds and at least the back of the truck to change into your old boots with nailed in stops ! It was great ! We scored, had a ladder and finals, and won a flag or two, and sang a song which I do not remember.

Then in 1990, my eldest son started with under 9, in the leafy suburb of Eltham. Games were on Sunday afternoon, ground was all well prepared by local Council and there were real changing rooms with hot water, not that kids ever wanted to wash off the mud. Many more Parents attended, they kept score and we had finals etc. It seemed to me that all the kids did was chase the ball, roll in the mud, but have fun. Younger son started playing basketball, so if it clashed the Mother did this duty, and our eldest child, a daughter showed no interest in sport which was a relief.

Move to today ! My Oldest Grandson is now 8, lives in Brunswick, plays again in Under 9 on a Sunday, usually on a lovely Ground in Princes Park or near the Zoo, no mud ! Very organised, all kids are coached and taught skills, and number 13, my grandkids who displays his part indigenous heritage, kicks with both feet, goals from any angle and can pin point a pass 40 meters. They do not score, have no ladder, no winners or losers, not sure if they have fun and frankly while an under 9 team today would heavily defeat the one in 1990, no-one would know and somehow it makes it a little pointless.

So in ten years time, when he is ready for AFL, not sure he will care, though he does love the Bombers.

1 Like

Curiously, when your kid is at a Timezone party, do you grab a $20 all-inclusive card and hang around? I can’t resist.

2 Likes

Let’s just say I’m always offering to take the kids if there’s a party there. No need to get an extra card, one of the kids won’t bother using their card and you can just swipe and have a go. The games these days are pretty expensive, but seem to be set on the easiest level, with the volume up to 11.

The other bonus is if they include laser tag, the young crew running the place usually don’t mind if you jump in for a few rounds.

So you are offended by kids singing their team song on the field.

That’s all fine and dandy, and of course you are entitled to your own opinions, but it is also pretty much what the headline was saying, innit?!?

They still have Timezone? Cool. Im still pretty hard to beat at Daytona

I’ve still got my eye on that CD player on the top shelf.

Only 40 tokens to go…

4 Likes

Yes, “offended” is the exact term I used.

so many bouncy balls.

Didn’t you just cheat at whack a mole with friends bashing on a croc each?

I’ll give you a run.

1 Like

Manual only. Everyone knows only wusses go auto.

1 Like

If you go auto you’ve already lost.

1 Like

Daytona was POX cause it would always handicap the driver in front so the other cars could catch up. Almost better off doing burnouts and have some fun at the start before trying to catch up.

Was a great game in its day though.