Junior footy club song ‘offends’ opposition

When my little fella was playing Auskick they tried to cut out scoring as well, but all the kids just kept score in their heads. Now they can’t sing a club song!?! What is next? All the players have to wear the same jumper? No goal posts, you just run the ball up to that end of the ground and then the other team runs it back?

Junior footy club song ‘offends’ opposition
A victorious junior football side has been instructed not to sing its club song on the ground by management after winning a game.

‘On The Ground’ told 3AW Breakfast’s Rumour File the under-11 side at Ormond was scolded on Sunday for singing its club song after a win against East Sandringham because it would “offend the other team.”

South Metro Junior Football League by-laws state singing isn’t to occur on the ground.

“Singing of club songs shall only take place in the clubrooms (or away from the opposition team if no clubrooms provided) and must not occur on the ground,” the by-laws read.

“Any club that breaches this by-law shall be dealt with at the discretion of the General Manager.”

The South Metro Junior Football League has been contacted for comment.

The more I think of it, a good business model would be to open a school that allows Christmas and the Easter Bunny… has a football team that allows scoring and bouncing the ball and team songs. I wonder how the kiddies would grow up?
Just a thought.

4 Likes

Jobe, Ted Richards and Chris Judd played for East Sandy. Probably plenty of others too.

They win the main cricket flag five times every decade. At least! Brad Hodge plays for them.

Chris Judd offends me!

1 Like

I’ve always thought it was a good rule that it only be sung in the change rooms, as it stops opposing fans throwing cans or causing trouble, or winning teams from goading the losers, especially if you win away from home. Make as much noise as you like in the rooms, but if you expect the losing team to stand by and clap as you sing your song, forget it, and that holds for all levels of footy. Shake hands then go celebrate privately.

3 Likes

What kind of kids footy are people taking their kids to?

Anyway, I thought part of winning in life and in sport was celebrating the victory over a competitor.

For what it’s worth my kids U/8s club sang the song, win lose or draw, and also gave three cheers for the umpire and the opposition.

5 Likes

Oh yeah you’re right man. I didn’t go to a Christian school and as such I’ve never even heard of this ‘Christmas’ you speak of.

1 Like

I agree that this is probably the reasoning behind the rule.

It seems harsh to be applying it to 11yos, seems more of a thing you’d need once kids get into their teens and are keen to throw punches as testosterone poisoning takes hold. But on the other hand, maybe it’s parents that are more likely to be the problem…

1 Like

A long time ago, I coached under 9 and under 11, for the Team I played for as a kid.

We did keep score, had a ladder and finals, and had a Team song which was a slight change on the Kangas song. To be honest though kids mostly couldn’t give a toss about singing after playing, and not sure winning was critical to any of them. It was all about playing footy, getting dirty and having fun. Parents were much more serious and the reason I chucked it in.

1 Like

We play Ormond u/9’s this week, they won’t be singing jack.

3 Likes

I am 23 years old, and the PC Culture has made me hate everyone. We need a good war!!

Wouldn’t have been an issue at my junior club. I started as a 7yo and didn’t experience a win until U/12’s.

7 Likes

As you get older you will get lots of opportunity for hate, so make love not war young fella.

My boy plays U/11s. Both clubs sing regardless of results. Strikes me as a better way.

2 Likes

never heard of a sporting club singing the song on the ground. Some club songs & rev-ups are best kept behind closed doors.

1 Like

Nice outrage-bait headline

I absolutely and whole-heartedly agree with this ruling. Singing the song in full view of opposition is unsportsmanlike.

7 Likes

An uncle of mine went to a Carlton game a couple of years ago and something one of their fans said offended him. When he woke up next morning he had cancer. Don’t offend people.

1 Like

We did it in juniors once after a Grand Final win. It was impromptu and spontaneous, and it felt like the right thing to do.That’s the only time I recall us singing the team song on the ground.

1 Like

Club songs are about winning tho. Or is their song about “hey at least we had fun”

EDFL junior clubs sing on the ground as they’re coming off after a win. then again in the club rooms. ■■■■ they’re ■■■■ songs.

2 Likes

In short, everything about junior footy is now “hey at least we had fun”.

In some ways, that’s good. In other ways, I don’t want my kid to grow up thinking it’s ok to be a ■■■■■■■ loser and get drafted by Richmond.

3 Likes