Key question - when's the window open?

I voted for more than 3 years because I don't really see this squad winning a flag.

I fully support the club adding a couple of senior players via free agency though, while Jobe is still in his prime.

Now...sorta. 2015 is the year. What kills us is the finals experience we missed out on this season IMO. Teams simply don't go from not having one a final in almost a decade, to suddenly going all the way and winning the whole lot. Finals experience - especially that of the winning variety - is absolutely crucial to developing a team than can make a legitimate challenge for the premiership. I think we're good enough to finish in the top 4-6 next year and win a final or two... but that was meant to happen this year, giving us the experience and hunger to take the next level in 2014. I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule, but IMO, unless all the stars align, we're looking at 2015 as our best shot at it.

I hope Fremantle proves you wrong cause we might be in the same boat as them. Not sure our next Premiership will be like 2000, but more like 1993.

The difference is that Freo had already gained successful finals experience leading into this season. We're going off SFA since when? 2004? I can't even remember the last time we won a final.

Last year freo beat the reigning premier easily in the first final. When was their last win before that? 2006?

Last year freo beat the reigning premier easily in the first final. When was their last win before that? 2006?

2010 Freo beat Hawthorn in an elimination final.

In 2014 Essendon will probably still looking for the window, let alone worrying about opening it.

Need at least two SMART and dangerous forwards (one small and one medium) plus the rapid development of Joe Daniher, plus a quick line-bursting mid fielder as a starting point.

I’m in the camp that thinks were almost there. But with the draft penalties and constant injuries, along with doubts about just how good some guys might be, I’m wondering whether we might be a team that never gets past almost…

If that was to be the case I reckon drafting/ trading this year is critical.

Hypothetically if the club found itself in a situation where Crameri wanted out, Gumby wanted to look at oportunities elsewhere and the Saints offered money to Myers he couldn’t refuse, (I know he’s contracted but if he came to us and said “I’d really like you to trade me”).

What could we get? Would it be enough for us to think we ha a chance to perform almost a mini re build and go again in say 2016?

Next season, sort it out, build it up. 2015, go hard or go home; it's our time.

If the players are desperate enough it is now. I think we've got the cattle. bugger leg speed its overrated - just move the ball quickly. Our defence could be miserly. Our midfield - uncompromising. and our forward line - monsters (if they can get the structure right). Our rucks - colossus. Our good looks - worthy of the catwalk. Our new TRB - ■■■■■■ off. that is enough. we are Essendon.

Now...sorta. 2015 is the year. What kills us is the finals experience we missed out on this season IMO. Teams simply don't go from not having one a final in almost a decade, to suddenly going all the way and winning the whole lot. Finals experience - especially that of the winning variety - is absolutely crucial to developing a team than can make a legitimate challenge for the premiership.

I think we're good enough to finish in the top 4-6 next year and win a final or two... but that was meant to happen this year, giving us the experience and hunger to take the next level in 2014. I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule, but IMO, unless all the stars align, we're looking at 2015 as our best shot at it.
don't worry about finals experience we play six every year ,coll,carl rich twice in front of 80000quote]

I think we’re farked. Not good enough to challenge in the near future and by then our best midfielders Watson, Stanton and Goddard will be over the hill.

F*ck knows but if Carlton, Footscray or St Kilda make a GF before Essendon does I'll go sick.

I think we're farked. Not good enough to challenge in the near future and by then our best midfielders Watson, Stanton and Goddard will be over the hill.

Two certainties in life. Sun'll get up in the morning.
And Stallion thinks we're farked.

I think we're farked. Not good enough to challenge in the near future and by then our best midfielders Watson, Stanton and Goddard will be over the hill.

Are you joking?

Are you joking?
I don't agree with it, but I can see where he's coming from. If we're not ready now, time is ticking on the guys he mentioned. And GC and GWS are fast catching up. It may be the case that if we can't win it in the next three years, it's going to be 6 or 7.
And presumably 25% agree from the poll results.

Are you joking?

I don't agree with it, but I can see where he's coming from. If we're not ready now, time is ticking on the guys he mentioned. And GC and GWS are fast catching up. It may be the case that if we can't win it in the next three years, it's going to be 6 or 7.
And presumably 25% agree from the poll results.

I voted for now but that doesn't mean I think we are a very good chance of winning the flag in the next 2 years.  I just think that our best opportunity will be in the next 2 years. Next year we should be the best side we've been in a decade (Crameri doesn't help) but compared to where the top team currently are I don't think that will be good enough. Maybe, just maybe if we could find some gems to add to the side, not lose our best forward every year, underperforming players like Hurley & Ryder find some level of consistency, have the kids develop quicker & better than seems likley, teams like Geelong, Sydney & Hawthorn feel the effects of retirements before we do & lastly the emerging teams like GC & GWS not reach potential for longer, then, maybe, there is a chance for a sneaky 1993 style swoop away with a flag. 

Yep.  For mine this is the real AFL v EFC battle.  EFC dropped defense of charges to allow players a crack at finals.  AFL think punishment will be enough to make us miss a flag.

At present AFL appears to be winning, mainly because we are currently bearing the worst of our sanctions.  But we're not dead yet.