Killing Dingoes

I support the use of 1080 poison as I support the protection of native fauna. F*ck feral cats, dogs and foxes. Go speak to the wildlife officers down in the SW of WA about the level of destruction feral animals cause and you'll want the 1080 to be more toxic and take longer to work.

Id rather we Stop marginalising shooters as “rednecks” and undesirables, implement structured pest control programs via the SSAA and maybe even, shock horror, fund it a bit.

The intermittent Fox bounty in Vic will never eradicate the problem fully - or even close tbh given the relative numbers - but it has certainly encouraged shooters to put a dent in numbers (although i dont need it, every fox taken saves an estimated 400 native creatures per year).

As a general principle, imo more hunters has gotta be far less barbaric than a return to 1080 or dieldrin etc. Heck, you could mount a case that myxo was a pretty harsh way to go about culling rabbits too. I guess like everything, its a compromise between required outcome and the means to do it.

I am sometimes a very dumb cynic. We spent over $10,000 trying to eradicate rabbits and foxes from a local reserve area of about 300 acres without great success. We ripped up burrows and laid lots of poison and it did dent the rabbit population but until we can get $350,000 to find a rabbit problem fence it is a lost cause.

Then a professional Hunter asked if he could shoot bunnies at the reserve. I got rhe Committee to agree, after many questions and much opposition. Six months later, and very hard to find a bunny or a fox.

It can certainly work.

It can certainly work.

Foxes yes, bunnies no.

I support the use of 1080 poison as I support the protection of native fauna. F*ck feral cats, dogs and foxes. Go speak to the wildlife officers down in the SW of WA about the level of destruction feral animals cause and you'll want the 1080 to be more toxic and take longer to work.

Hard man, eh, Diggers.

I’ve no problem with culling of pest species, so long as it’s done speedily and humanely.

I’ve sometimes disagreed strongly with you in the past, Diggers, but I always took you for an intelligent human being capable of logical thought and of humane compassion, and not the sadistic moron this last post of yours shows you to be.

You should read more of his posts.

Hard man, eh, Diggers.

I’ve no problem with culling of pest species, so long as it’s done speedily and humanely.

I’ve sometimes disagreed strongly with you in the past, Diggers, but I always took you for an intelligent human being capable of logical thought and of humane compassion, and not the sadistic moron this last post of yours shows you to be.

Like I said, speak to the experts in the field and your attitude to 1080 will be adjusted. We were shown a photograph of the carcass of a 22kg, that's right, 22kg feral cat that had been recently trapped near Walpole. The number of birds, marsupials and reptiles that went into producing a 22kg cat doesn't bear thinking about. Native carnivores have a natural resistance to 1080 making it ideal for targeting non indigenous species. In other words, if something eats it and dies, it's not meant to be here.

22 kg, that’s the size of a small chettah.

‘Killing Dingoes’ sounds like a great name for an Aussie metal band

Dingoes are not native to Australia, they are an introduced species.

You always so black and white IT. Forgive me for this odious comparison, but there is still much debate on the origin of the dingo, and while it is suggested they arrived perhaps 20,000 years ago as a relative of the Indian Wolf, it is not proven and the dingo skeleton has unique features.

For me a Dingo is the Australian Native Dog.

4,000 years is more likely. And I do see them as close to Aussie as you can get but they are not native.

I also do not agree with painful killing of animals but don’t mind if dingoes are culled just as they do with rabbits and kangaroos.

From an ecological point of view, they’re as close to native as you’re going to get right now in the terrestrial top carnivore niche. Between dingoes, habitat change, white settlement, indigenous settlement, and simply time - all the other TRULY indigenous carnivores - from thylacines to marsupial lions of various sorts, land crocs, any predatory mihirungs there might have been, and sundry other prehistoric weirdness - are gone.

You’ve gotta have a top carnivore. You’ve just gotta, or the whole ecology starts to break down. They stop the big herbivores getting overpopulated in good growing years, and in some ecosystems they also help stop the medium/small predators (cats especially) from going completely nuts and obliterating small mammals, lizards and birds. If your top predator isn’t dingoes, it’s going to be foxes, feral dogs, or those freaky big feral cats.

Yeah, they’re not million-of-years-old native, but unless someone goes all Jurassic Park on us and brings back thylacines or Thylacoleo in a test tube, they’re the best option we’re going to get.

What happens to the animals that eat the poisoned Dingoes?
Owl populations really suffer from eating poisoned mice… Presume this will cause a similar problem

I had a pet dingo, smartest dog I’ve ever had.

Could scale a 2m fence with ease.

Lived to 16 years old.

Our dog Tyra understood a massive vocabulary of words and gestures compared to other dogs i’ve had. As domesticated as she was, she always had a certain aloofness about her.

One main memory I have is New Years eve 2000. My GF and I went camping for New Years and were driving back the next day when my mum rang , saying our dog Tyra was at her house and to come pick her up. Mum and my step-dad were watching tv shortly after midnight when they heard something bang against their front screen door. The opened it to find Tyra there who promptly ran inside and lay down trembling on the living room floor. We had left her at home with a flatmate who went to a party nearby and left her alone. As the fireworks at mid-night went off she had jumped a 1.8m fence and ran to my mums house. The thing was, my mum had only recently moved to this house, it was several km’s away , and , Tyra had only been there maybe twice before, in the car.

I also remember once gave her fully wrapped up meat from the butcher. She placed it on the ground and flipped it over with her snout until the sticky-tape was face-up. She then sat down and pinned one end down with one paw and undid the sticky tape by running her other paw along between the join. Then she stood on the flap and then unravelled it by flipping it over with her snout several times while walking forward on the paper until the meat was fully unwrapped. All this took about 30 seconds. I remember immediately thinking about the Lindy Chamberlain case.

I had a pet dingo, smartest dog I've ever had.

Could scale a 2m fence with ease.

Lived to 16 years old.

Lol, I thought that said 2m fish for a second …

Now that would be a smart pup. … butt where would it hold the knife??

Yeah, I’ve had a bit to do with dingoes though wildlife volunteer work.

They’re not dogs. They look like dogs, and they can crossbreed with dogs, but they don’t think like dogs, and they don’t act like dogs. They’re something else. They look so doggy that you just find youself thinking ‘well, duh, that’s a dog’ and as soon as you do, they’ll do something utterly undoglike which reminds you exactly how weird and alien they are.

On a side note, according to what very few accounts there are, thylacines (once they got used to humans) were apparently friendly, playful, and good-natured. There’s some footage of one playing games with a dog (though a zoo fence) here.

Really makes you wonder what might have been. And it’s AMAZING how dog-like that animal acts, given it’s more closely related to a koala or a kangaroo than to a kelpie. If we’d managed to keep thylacines around for even just another 50 years, i reckon it’s pretty likely there’d be a lot of them living in kennels in suburban backyards by now…

Yeah, I've had a bit to do with dingoes though wildlife volunteer work.

They’re not dogs. They look like dogs, and they can crossbreed with dogs, but they don’t think like dogs, and they don’t act like dogs. They’re something else. They look so doggy that you just find youself thinking ‘well, duh, that’s a dog’ and as soon as you do, they’ll do something utterly undoglike which reminds you exactly how weird and alien they are.

On a side note, according to what very few accounts there are, thylacines (once they got used to humans) were apparently friendly, playful, and good-natured. There’s some footage of one playing games with a dog (though a zoo fence) here.

Really makes you wonder what might have been. And it’s AMAZING how dog-like that animal acts, given it’s more closely related to a koala or a kangaroo than to a kelpie. If we’d managed to keep thylacines around for even just another 50 years, i reckon it’s pretty likely there’d be a lot of them living in kennels in suburban backyards by now…

That little gif is amazing.
Gives you some idea of the incredible and unique creature we lost.

I've only just seen this thread. I wish I hadn't: it's no laughing matter.

These dingoes have had capsules of 1080 poison implanted under their skin, which are programmed to explode in 2 years’ time. Before you start to laugh, perhaps you should read up on “1080”, also known as sodium fluoroacetate or sodium monofluroacetate.

It’s one of the most disgusting poisons ever invented. From ingestion, it takes up to 21 hours for carnivores and 44 hours for herbivores before they die; and that whole time is spent in the utmost agony. Only an utter fascist ■■■■■■ would condemn any animal to such a lingering, horrible death.

That its use should be permitted against any animal is outright digusting; that it should even be contemplated for use against an Australian native animal is worse. Nevertheless, successive Victorian governments, of both persuasions, to their shame have licensed its use, particularly in the High Country, because it’s easier to drop poison from planes than to shoot pest animals humanely.

Here’s the Victorian government’s bland take on its use:

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/farm-management/chemical-use/agricultural-chemical-use/bait-use-and-1080

No mention there of 1080’s utter horrors, of course. For the whole truth you have to go to another website, like this one:

http://www.wlpa.org/1080_poison.htm

BAN IT !!!

I have only just now come across this thread but feel compelled to comment that 1080 is actually a naturally occurring poison in some species of pea family of plants here in WA and elsewhere and as such, native animals are not bothered by it. A couple of years ago I baited the farm I work at to get rid of the rabbits. My baited oats were well shielded from the neighbor’s sheep agisting on our place and if I managed to kill a few wild dogs, cats or foxes along with the rabbits then HOORAY FOR ME! The 1080 poison would now be a synthesised product but it is still native animal friendly.
For an informed view you could do worse than having a look at http://gardendrum.com/2015/11/16/1080-and-a-signpost-of-poisonous-plants/ No use going off half cocked.

I have just had a look at your 1080 link. You have got to be joking. What a bunch of il informed numbskulls. No doubt someone like Brigid Bardot is a patron. You know, the pussycat lover that wants to stop Australia from ridding the countryside of feral cats.

What Barnzy dingo’s or humans? Humans are by far the worst and most destructive animals on the planet.

Twenty years of no humans on planet earth and she would completely recover. Who is the problem?

http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2012/07/16/galapagos-monday-the-judas-goat/

It’s an interesting piece, DJR. I have conflicting emotions and rationale about the topic myself, and I am happy that I do.

Lol. I love the suggestion that 80,000 goats should have been sent here!

1 Like

Yep me too… was trying to decide whether it was to eat, rehome or run free around Melbourne and Sydney with all the kangaroos.

1 Like