Killing Dingoes

I’m fairly sure one of these Dingoes is called Roy Batty. Dogs are our friends not our slaves:

1 Like

Dry as a dead dingo’s donga.

Lol.

I’ve only just seen this thread. I wish I hadn’t: it’s no laughing matter.

These dingoes have had capsules of 1080 poison implanted under their skin, which are programmed to explode in 2 years’ time. Before you start to laugh, perhaps you should read up on “1080”, also known as sodium fluoroacetate or sodium monofluroacetate.

It’s one of the most disgusting poisons ever invented. From ingestion, it takes up to 21 hours for carnivores and 44 hours for herbivores before they die; and that whole time is spent in the utmost agony. Only an utter fascist ■■■■■■ would condemn any animal to such a lingering, horrible death.

That its use should be permitted against any animal is outright digusting; that it should even be contemplated for use against an Australian native animal is worse. Nevertheless, successive Victorian governments, of both persuasions, to their shame have licensed its use, particularly in the High Country, because it’s easier to drop poison from planes than to shoot pest animals humanely.

Here’s the Victorian government’s bland take on its use:

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/farm-management/chemical-use/agricultural-chemical-use/bait-use-and-1080

No mention there of 1080’s utter horrors, of course. For the whole truth you have to go to another website, like this one:

http://www.wlpa.org/1080_poison.htm

BAN IT !!!

1 Like

Dingoes are not native to Australia, they are an introduced species.

So are we.

1 Like

So are we.

kill them all.

I support the use of 1080 poison as I support the protection of native fauna. F*ck feral cats, dogs and foxes. Go speak to the wildlife officers down in the SW of WA about the level of destruction feral animals cause and you’ll want the 1080 to be more toxic and take longer to work.

Stop the boats!

You always so black and white IT. Forgive me for this odious comparison, but there is still much debate on the origin of the dingo, and while it is suggested they arrived perhaps 20,000 years ago as a relative of the Indian Wolf, it is not proven and the dingo skeleton has unique features.

For me a Dingo is the Australian Native Dog.

1080p?

To be fair, so are people.

You always so black and white IT. Forgive me for this odious comparison, but there is still much debate on the origin of the dingo, and while it is suggested they arrived perhaps 20,000 years ago as a relative of the Indian Wolf, it is not proven and the dingo skeleton has unique features.

For me a Dingo is the Australian Native Dog.

4,000 years is more likely. And I do see them as close to Aussie as you can get but they are not native.

I also do not agree with painful killing of animals but don’t mind if dingoes are culled just as they do with rabbits and kangaroos.

1080p?

I think he meant to say OLED

I support the use of 1080 poison as I support the protection of native fauna. F*ck feral cats, dogs and foxes. Go speak to the wildlife officers down in the SW of WA about the level of destruction feral animals cause and you'll want the 1080 to be more toxic and take longer to work.

Id rather we Stop marginalising shooters as “rednecks” and undesirables, implement structured pest control programs via the SSAA and maybe even, shock horror, fund it a bit.

The intermittent Fox bounty in Vic will never eradicate the problem fully - or even close tbh given the relative numbers - but it has certainly encouraged shooters to put a dent in numbers (although i dont need it, every fox taken saves an estimated 400 native creatures per year).

As a general principle, imo more hunters has gotta be far less barbaric than a return to 1080 or dieldrin etc. Heck, you could mount a case that myxo was a pretty harsh way to go about culling rabbits too. I guess like everything, its a compromise between required outcome and the means to do it.

1 Like
I support the use of 1080 poison as I support the protection of native fauna. F*ck feral cats, dogs and foxes. Go speak to the wildlife officers down in the SW of WA about the level of destruction feral animals cause and you'll want the 1080 to be more toxic and take longer to work.

Hard man, eh, Diggers.

I’ve no problem with culling of pest species, so long as it’s done speedily and humanely.

I’ve sometimes disagreed strongly with you in the past, Diggers, but I always took you for an intelligent human being capable of logical thought and of humane compassion, and not the sadistic moron this last post of yours shows you to be.

Hard man, eh, Diggers.

I’ve no problem with culling of pest species, so long as it’s done speedily and humanely.

I’ve sometimes disagreed strongly with you in the past, Diggers, but I always took you for an intelligent human being capable of logical thought and of humane compassion, and not the sadistic moron this last post of yours shows you to be.

Like I said, speak to the experts in the field and your attitude to 1080 will be adjusted. We were shown a photograph of the carcass of a 22kg, that's right, 22kg feral cat that had been recently trapped near Walpole. The number of birds, marsupials and reptiles that went into producing a 22kg cat doesn't bear thinking about. Native carnivores have a natural resistance to 1080 making it ideal for targeting non indigenous species. In other words, if something eats it and dies, it's not meant to be here.

And the Lord made Man after His own image, and saw that it was Good.

Id rather we Stop marginalising shooters as “rednecks” and undesirables, implement structured pest control programs via the SSAA and maybe even, shock horror, fund it a bit.

The intermittent Fox bounty in Vic will never eradicate the problem fully - or even close tbh given the relative numbers - but it has certainly encouraged shooters to put a dent in numbers (although i dont need it, every fox taken saves an estimated 400 native creatures per year).

As a general principle, imo more hunters has gotta be far less barbaric than a return to 1080 or dieldrin etc. Heck, you could mount a case that myxo was a pretty harsh way to go about culling rabbits too. I guess like everything, its a compromise between required outcome and the means to do it.

The problem with shooters is that ‘rednecks and meatheads’ make up a reasonable percentage of their numbers. Not sure what things are like over there but there are numerous examples of unauthorised entry by shooters onto private property just on the rural fringes of Perth resulting in the deaths of livestock and pets. This is in addition to confrontation with landowners and destruction of fences/gates etc to gain access. The problem is increased the further out you get. Decent shooters won’t gain the trust of the broader community and by extension access to crown land for pest eradication purposes until the shooting community can demonstrate that the knucklehead element has been weeded out. Good luck with that.

1080p?

Nope, interlaced. Meh.