Lachie Neale

Simple philosophy I follow to avoid those sort of issues … If you cant say IT all …, Don’t say AT all.

BTW, I heard a rumour that Hurley had a “quiet coffee” with one Josh Jenkins recently … some cumonoccasion specious-ists wanted to make out Hurls was entertaining offers … but I’m led to believe he may have been making one, & wondering if JJ wanted to come home …

Crows must sign Josh Jenkins to long-term contract or risk losing him.

March 30, 2016 6:30pm
Warren TredreaThe Advertiser

WHY haven’t the Crows signed Josh Jenkins?

That’s the question on everyone’s lips after he single-handedly ripped apart North Melbourne’s defence in a dominant five-goal display last Saturday night.

Jenkins and Brad Crouch are the two big name Crows yet to be locked away on Adelaide’s contract hit list.

And while I can understand why Crouch and Adelaide’s hierarchy are focusing on the young star stringing some games together after missing so much football before entering negotiations — I struggle to understand why Josh Jenkins remains unsigned.

As Channel 9 News reported last month there is a contract standoff between Josh Jenkins, his manager Paul Connors and the Adelaide Football Club.

Jenkins wants to be a Crow for life and is keen to sign a long-term four-year contract — but unbelievably Adelaide has only offered two years.

Having just signed All Australian defender Daniel Talia to a 5 year extension on big money — the Jenkins deal of four years at around $500, 000 a year appears good value and less of a risk — 199cm 107kg key forwards who can play in the ruck don’t grow on trees.

Don’t forget Charlie Dixon is earning more at Port Adelaide and with the salary cap expected to rise significantly after the players association strike a new pay deal (collective bargaining agreement) this year, it’ll prove to be good business.

What worries me is that it took Adelaide’s list management committee until Round 20 to cave into Tom Lynch’s three-year contract demand after they were adamant the AFL’s leading goal assist player was worth only two years.

Its fair to say no one wants to see Jenkins join the list of Adelaide’s departures following Patrick Dangerfield, Jack Gunston, Phil Davis and Kurt Tippett out the door.

And while I don’t expect him to leave, the longer he remains unsigned the more likely his price will rise, opposition clubs will be alerted to his availability, not to mention making him feel unwanted as the club continue to play hard ball in negotiations.

Jenkins isn’t your normal footballer — he took up the game late having played basketball for most of his junior life, eventually making his AFL debut at 23 years of age after former Crows recruiter Matt Rendell chose to part with pick 31 for Jenkins and pick 41 (Mitch Grigg).

Since then he’s gone from strength to strength kicking 40 (2014) & 46 (2015) goals over the past two years at more than two goals a game, while also offering vital ruck support to No. 1 ruckman Sam Jacobs

What I love most about his game is that he clearly wants to be the best — his development over the past couple of seasons has been stunning.

No longer is he misjudging the ball, rather using his athleticism to mark the ball at its highest point. His contested marking has also improved out of sight, finishing 2015 ranked #1 at the club.

Having recently turned 27 years of age, his best football is clearly in front of him and if last weekend’s game is anything to go by he’s improving rapidly — dominating hard-nosed Kangaroo defenders Michael Firrito and All Australian Scott Thompson.

He was clearly Adelaide’s best player — a return of 11 disposals, five marks, five goals and a goal assist was without doubt his best game to date in Crows colours.

It’s something he’ll need to replicate in this weekends Showdown against Port, as Power fullback Alipate Carilie awaits him in a mouth-watering matchup.

For every day that goes by that Jenkins remains unsigned the risk of losing him increases.

When you have a player that wants to commit and is in good form there’s no reason why a deal can’t be negotiated and agreed to quickly.

And with players now holding all the negotiation cards at the table player movement is far easier now than ever before.

Make no mistake other clubs are watching and willing to strike quickly if Adelaide can’t get a deal done.

Key forwards who can ruck are rare and are very hard to replace — that’s why I find this situation so risky.

So get to it, Adelaide, he’s too good to let slip through your fingers.

Yes Boot, how dare you mention things you've heard.

honestly, its not hat hes heard ■■■■, its that he lords it over everyone.

Wtf?
How do you work that out?
But if it offends you I can easily say nothing.

I think the problem is 'Boot, that a lot of posters are sick and tired of some posters stating that they know something or know that the club are in talks with/going after player X but then state absolutely nothing to back it up.

I don’t think you fall under this category personally, however I can see why people are frustrated by hearing those types of things when the poster is unwilling to produce further details.

Ok.
Problem solved.
In future when told things I will bring nothing here.
If people would rather absolute total ignorance over being told what they can be without confidences been broken, then I guess that’s what I should do.
Sorry for trying to pass anything on.
Won’t happen again.

*not a crack at you BK.

Didn’t take it as one.

Perfectly comfortable with that answer mate.

I don’t take any issue with what you post in regards to inside info just to be 100% clear.

Prestia? Billings?

I’m going with Billings. Elite kick, tick. Barracked for us as a kid, tick. Devastate StKilda at trade time, tick.

Seems obvious to me.

oooooo, wait. Caddy. It has to be Caddy. We’ve been working on that for years.

Why would Jenkins want to come back to the club that refused to upgrade him in the first place?

Probably a forward as per Pevsters comments?

But why would he want to come back?

Drugz

O’Meara

Ted Richards. The circle completed.

Paul Connors
Uncle Pauly

Rioli? Could it be really happening?

This is going to do my head in trying to work out who it could be.

Carlisle?

were not getting anyone.

deal with it.

I really don’t get why people get ■■■■■■ off with others dropping hints about what they know. Of course you can’t give your sources away. If you do you won’t have anything to pass on ever again. You get to know whose info you can trust and whose you can be a little sceptical with. It’s not that hard to filter out. And just for the record, even if Boot is a little cryptive at times, if he’s being positive, it makes me feel positive too because he does have a bit of an idea of what’s going on.

Why would Jenkins want to come back to the club that refused to upgrade him in the first place?

To get the fark outta Adelaide…

It’s all ‘blah blah’ until they ‘sign sign’.

I have been a blitz member going on a decade now. There is probably half a dozen members I can say I have complete faith in information gained from sources relating to the club. Boot is one of them.

I have been a blitz member going on a decade now. There is probably half a dozen members I can say I have complete faith in information gained from sources relating to the club. Boot is one of them.

This. Absolutely this.

And in this particular case, both Boot and Fogdog, plus some others, are aware of this one and are keen to give Blitzers some information, without burning their sources or screwing up the potential deal.

I can’t tell if its the same one I’ve heard about, but if it is, the only thing I’ll say is that if we pull it off, I’d hope it would go a long way to fixing what has been one of our key structural weaknesses for a while now.