Last Time They Met

Thought itd be a fun idea to have thread dedicated to memories of old games of the team we’re about to play. Good or bad.
So Carlton…
Still think 1 of our best wins against Carlton was in 1998 when scotty kicked the winning goal after being 28 pts down with about 5 mins left.

Some of our more memorable games against the saints:
The night the lights went out at Waverley, and we sat there in the dark for half an hour before there was an announcement that the power was notching back on. Then no one had any idea of the final result. The rest of the match was played out on a Thursday night later in the season. IIRC we ended up playing every day of the week, that season. Another first for EFC, however minor. The win was never in doubt.

The only time the 4 Daniher brothers all played in the one team, was down at Moorabbin. Mum and dad lived within walking distance of the ground, so there was no way l was going to miss that match. Not a great spectacle, but a win.

Another game at Moorabbin with Lockett in red ho form, and the media all wondering how we were going to stop him. Sheedy plonked Ezard in front of him and when the marking contest spilled the ball to the ground Ezard cleaned it up. It worked a treat all day, and thus the loose man in defense was truly born. A comfortable win.

Does someone have a video of Richo's hands in the back and subsequent meltdown when we did them in the dream time game??

2007…

Hats off to Jim, Lloyd and Lucas

And McPhee’s goal; wow

Lloyd’s goal after the full time siren was creepy how it curled back in. From 55m too.

Last time we met the saints dodoro clear best on ground, worked hard all game, showed great poise and really out manouvered his opponent. A great contest that really went down to the wire but we got over the line in a classic. If the game had gone longer we would have lost but dodoro timed his run perfectly

Nice.

Now Parish BOG plz.

Last time we met the saints dodoro clear best on ground, worked hard all game, showed great poise and really out manouvered his opponent. A great contest that really went down to the wire but we got over the line in a classic. If the game had gone longer we would have lost but dodoro timed his run perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEu3byWjbG0

The Knights Era produced some of the best and worst (on field) moments in Essendon history.

Why in the name of God would anyone be proud of that win? We won because the opposition player missed an easy shot for goal. That wasn’t an Essendon win, it was a St Kilda loss.

Because we did what no one else could do for 19 rounds and protected our own record? We had them on a plate in that game after quarter time, and losing it would’ve been unjust

I watched this game from the lobby of a resort in Phuket, streaming some Darwin TV channel with tractor ads, and got sneaky hammered on duty free gin and orange juice. That goal from Fletch really got us going, and I remember McPhee was captain. Round 19 generally means we are struggling to even field a team, this was a huge underdog victory for us.

I watched it from a bar in Kuta. One tv surrounded by about10 Saints supporters and one surrounded by about 30 Bombers.

I watched it from Etihad Stadium and nearly chucked a childish tantrum when Riewoldt lined up on the siren. Only to be proceeded by the exhilaration of winning and celebrating with randoms.

In 1995 at Princess park we smashed the saints in the wet. It wasn't just wet it was pouring all day,

Would be great to see the tape of this.

An astonishing score line for the conditions
24.10.154 - 5.8.38

Second biggest winning margin against them

I can’t recall anything more than being there. and when they blew the second siren so the fans could run on, the guy who won the sprint to the centre did a full in dive and slid through the mud.

Can’t wait til we kick 20 odd goals again.

Was that the game where Ryan O’Connor played probably his greatest game for the club? Remember him marking everything in a wet game out at scum park.

Edit: 24 touches, 5 marks and 2 goals. Maybe it was, but it could have been around 1998

His best game was for the Allies state of origin team. You sort of knew that State of origin was on the way out when he won the Alex Jesaulenko Medal as the best Allies player.

And Dean Solomon got a game after 3 AFL games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEu3byWjbG0

The Knights Era produced some of the best and worst (on field) moments in Essendon history.

Why in the name of God would anyone be proud of that win? We won because the opposition player missed an easy shot for goal. That wasn’t an Essendon win, it was a St Kilda loss.

Because we did what no one else could do for 19 rounds and protected our own record? We had them on a plate in that game after quarter time, and losing it would’ve been unjust

I watched this game from the lobby of a resort in Phuket, streaming some Darwin TV channel with tractor ads, and got sneaky hammered on duty free gin and orange juice. That goal from Fletch really got us going, and I remember McPhee was captain. Round 19 generally means we are struggling to even field a team, this was a huge underdog victory for us.

I watched it from a bar in Kuta. One tv surrounded by about10 Saints supporters and one surrounded by about 30 Bombers.

Was it 1990 or 1991 when Bomber Thompson kicked the winning goal against Richmond from the boundary line. Seem to think it was easter Monday or Anzac day? (May have just been a sunday)
Remember Nicholls (think that was his name) absolutely smashing us all game, had over 30 kicks which was massive in those days.

It’s definitely on Youtube if you search

Does someone have a video of Richo's hands in the back and subsequent meltdown when we did them in the dream time game??

2007…

Hats off to Jim, Lloyd and Lucas

And McPhee’s goal; wow

Does someone have a video of Richo’s hands in the back and subsequent meltdown when we did them in the dream time game??

The night the lights went out at Waverley, and we sat there in the dark for half an hour before there was an announcement that the power was notching back on. Then no one had any idea of the final result. The rest of the match was played out on a Thursday night later in the season.
It was played on the Tuesday, three days later. Teams were allowed to be changed, which saw Hird brought in and booed mercilessly for being good. Blumfield also debuted on the Tuesday, and was our 1000th senior player.
David Flood and Dean Wallis keeping Lockett to 0 goals.
"The boys from Nhill kept him to nil.”

Flood played on Lockett, Wallis had the fun job of filling the gap in front of Lockett.

Less remembered is Anthony Daniher moving to CHB to beat Loewe.

Is the the game Brad Plain kicked a few up forward?

I did not remember that… but yes. If you consider a six touch game and 2.1 “a few”. It was his first senior game for the year, 15 weeks in.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/051519920704.html

Lockett was coming off bags of 12, 15, 7 and 9. Loewe had kicked 8 a fortnight earlier.

I was thinking of the game in 91 instead - Plain kicked 4!

Essendon end Tony Lockett’s astonishing run in their last-ever game at Moorabbin in front of an over-capacity crowd of 33,832, restricting him to four goals as against thirty-four in his first three games of 1991. This was Essendon’s twenty-first consecutive win over St. Kilda, though between 1943 and 1957 they played the Saints twenty-five times without losing.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1991/051519910525.html

Yep, Daniher played on Lockett and Sheedy started with Ezard (or Flood) and Wallis to sit in front of him. Basically the first type of flooding from the start of the game I reckon we had seen.
David Flood and Dean Wallis keeping Lockett to 0 goals.
"The boys from Nhill kept him to nil.”

Flood played on Lockett, Wallis had the fun job of filling the gap in front of Lockett.

Less remembered is Anthony Daniher moving to CHB to beat Loewe.

Is the the game Brad Plain kicked a few up forward?

I did not remember that… but yes. If you consider a six touch game and 2.1 “a few”. It was his first senior game for the year, 15 weeks in.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/051519920704.html

Lockett was coming off bags of 12, 15, 7 and 9. Loewe had kicked 8 a fortnight earlier.

I was thinking of the game in 91 instead - Plain kicked 4!

Essendon end Tony Lockett’s astonishing run in their last-ever game at Moorabbin in front of an over-capacity crowd of 33,832, restricting him to four goals as against thirty-four in his first three games of 1991. This was Essendon’s twenty-first consecutive win over St. Kilda, though between 1943 and 1957 they played the Saints twenty-five times without losing.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1991/051519910525.html

Ryan was robbed of a point in the "lights out” match against St Kilda.

In 1995 at Princess park we smashed the saints in the wet. It wasn't just wet it was pouring all day,

24.10.154 - 5.8.38

I can’t recall anything more than being there. and when they blew the second siren so the fans could run on, the guy who won the sprint to the centre did a full in dive and slid through the mud.

Was that the game where Ryan O’Connor played probably his greatest game for the club? Remember him marking everything in a wet game out at scum park.

Edit: 24 touches, 5 marks and 2 goals. Maybe it was, but it could have been around 1998

His best game was for the Allies state of origin team. You sort of knew that State of origin was on the way out when he won the Alex Jesaulenko Medal as the best Allies player.

24.10.154 - 5.8.38

Darren Bewick, we need another one of his type.

That Princes Park game was the greatest skill display I've ever seen on a wet day (comfortably beating Darren Bewicks's four bounce goal on a splashy Gabba). And it was serious rain -- thanks to blocked drainage, the front row of the top deck of the southern stand filled with water (i.e. it was 20cm deep).

Now that you mention Bewick I can vaguely recall him kicking the sealing goal against St Kilda from a tight angle at Waverly in 97-98 late in the year. A game we were big underdogs in, back in those days used to only get the ‘around the grounds’ radio score updates and maybe a replay of the last quarter (or just highlights)an hour or 2 on delay.