Latest Scams, Viruses, Malware and other nasties

I’m gonna take a wild stab and guess that you might have sent your fair share of snarky emails yourself… :grin:

1 Like

How much you charge for this scam?

yeah but a good scammer syndicate would have also sussed out your accountant and followed up with a “call” from them

1 Like

419 advance fee scam, the scam that keeps on scamming.

Unlike the early days, when they asked you to participate in an illegal scam for a share of $25M stolen from a petroleum company, they are now posing as bearers of funds to be spent on charity. I just got this one.

Note one of the telltale signs: undisclosed recipients, no doubt sent out from a an email address list containing even millions of email addresses.
Why can’t she even trust the members of the late Rev. Kowans congregation.

*To: undisclosed-recipients Bcc: *
Date: 30.06.2020 23:13
Subject: How are you my dear

How are you my dear,

My name is Mrs Caroline Kowan,I wish to donate towards education and
the less privileged through your help.I am writing concerning my plans
to donate in memory of my deceased husband,

Rt. Rev Luke Kowan, I wish to donate toward education and the less
privileged and to ask for your assistance. As you may know, I am
suffering from colon cancer,according to my doctor, I have few weeks
to live please i need prayer’s.

Throughout his years; my husband stressed the importance of education
and the less privileged I feel that this is what he would have wanted
me to do with the $3.5Million Dollars that he left for charity.

These services bring so much joy to the kids. Together we are
transforming lives and building brighter futures-but without you, it
just wouldn’t be possible. Thank you so much for your support.

Sincerely Mrs Caroline Kowan

I am constantly (like once every two or three days) getting calls from random numbers with a recorded message. The message says that it’s a call from the Department of Home Affairs and that there is a legal case in my name and something about penalties blah blah and that you need to press 1 to talk to someone about it.

Obviously a scam, but I’m annoyed about how they got my number because I keep it pretty private. I’m also annoyed at the multiple calls!

1 Like

Me too. Lot’s texts and calls from people claiming to be debt agencies. Probably targeting people that have lost jobs and are actually going into debt. Arrange fake payment plan etc etc. Evil stuff.

Same.
Got one the other day from Telstra NBN telling me my network connection would be cut off at 4pm unless I preformed “urgent actions”.
Funny, I don’t have telstra, and the network is quite happily functioning despite me hanging up on the spot.

3 Likes

Received an sms yesterday from the NAB (not) saying my account had been frozen & to
click in the link. (Which I didn’t) I spoke to the bank who said that there’s an enormous number of these every day.

2 Likes

Email scams.

I don’t know how many people panic when they get emails like these, threatening your email
will be disconnected.

Our company runs its own email servers, webservers and name servers, so we farking control it all and then these people try to scam us saying they control our mail server?

But many people would not know who controls their email, and might just panic.

1 Like

These work all the time on lots of people.

Even on people who spot them as scams, but click anyway “to see what will happen”

Source: used to work in IT

1 Like

I a random call from an unknown number today which, when I answered, played a recorded message in Chinese (I think). I hung up after a few seconds, but does anyone know what that’s about?

I’ve had about 6 such calls over the last month. In mandarin, but they purport to be from DHL.
The other Chinese phone scam that I’ve received is where they pretend to be from the Chinese embassy in Canberra (according to my mandarin speaking friend).

Makes a pleasant change from Indian c ock suckers pretending to be from the ATO.

2 Likes

Turns out the debt collector is for real. Somebody has taken a $1,500 & $600 nimble loan about 4 months ago in my name. That doesn’t bother me because i’ll get to the bottom of it, but my credit rating has taken a beating. Does anybody have experience getting their credit rating fixed after a scam?

How good is 2020!?

1 Like

:100: :boom: :candy: :champagne: :firecracker: :sparkles: :balloon: :tada: :confetti_ball: :ribbon: :gift: :trophy:

1 Like

I haven’t had one phone call or text. I feel lonely

Geez, you need to report Nimble for allowing that.

I might have had some, but I just don’t answer the phone unless it comes from a genuine, recognised caller.

If they’re genuine, they’re invited to leave a message. Otherwise, they can ■■■■ right off.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely get angry when i know who to get angry at.

I don’t either. But after 20 or so calls from the same number over the last 3 months i dug a little deeper. Kind of wish i answered before they butchered my credit rating.

Blame Taika Watiti!!

1 Like