Latest Scams, Viruses, Malware and other nasties

Good one hambo! I actually had a guy ask me to give him remote access to my pc one day! I’d tell you what I told him but the site blocks out foul language ha ha

A friend once kept a “Windows employee” named Kevin (who was suspiciously Indian sounding) on the phone for about 45 minutes, when a bunch of us were over having drinks. Once it dawned on this unwitting flog that he’d been comprehensively owned, he broke character and unleashed a furious, foul-mouthed tirade at my mate before hanging-up. Hearing a clipped, staccato Indian accent stumbling over a barrage of four-letter words was one of the most beautiful moments!

2 Likes

Kevin the Indian ROFLMAO priceless!!

Tell the chod to ■■■■ off

1 Like

Friends of mine had their bank account scammed a few months ago, they bank with the Bendigo Bank. Their whole account was hacked. The Bendigo Bank apparently got onto to it really quickly and stopped the transaction and recovered the money. The Police caught the person apparently from the Western suburbs.

On Thursday, I got an email from them asking me to get in touch as they needed to contact me urgently. So, I sent them an email because I couldn’t get them on the phone. They didn’t answer my email but I got another and then another.

Eventually, I was able to get onto them on the phone and asked them what they wanted me for? They said what are you talking about? I said have you checked your computer they said no. They checked it and said “Oh no, not another one.” Explained to me what had happend to them with the Bendigo Bank. I got onto my computer guy who checked my computer and they got onto theirs. To ensure there were no nasties anywhere.

A new trick, email supposedly from a friend which says you are in trouble and need them to do you a favour and get in touch with you. Your computer is then hacked and they get your details stored therein. Crooks are so creative.

Is not a new trick.

1 Like

Put simply, if you pass on your personal information, banking details, passwords or give remote access to your computer to anybody, even friends, you’re asking for trouble, and in all probability, shouldn’t have a computer.

2 Likes

A bit of an obvious scam, this one. An email from a scammer goes out to your accounts dept saying company xxxx bank account numbers have changed.

Here is an email from a company where it happened recently:

Our internal email security has detected a message received from a third party, which is falsely claiming that xxxxxxxxx bank accounts have changed.
Please note that this is a fraudulent email. Our bank account details remain unchanged.
We are asking you to please disregard all such emails.

Yesterday I received a parcel from China containing a pair of cheap, nasty knockoff sunglasses which I did not order. Strange thing though, it was correctly addressed to me, other than that it had a landline phone number which I’ve not had for over 20 years. I’ve combed through my bank and Paypal statements and there are no unusual transactions. I’m not missing anything I’ve ordered, and am not expecting anything. Weird…

Anyone had something similar?

This may be a case of Chinese scamming the Chinese

Recently large numbers of packets of worthless unsolicited seeds have been sent to the USA.
IMO, its chinese business owners doing a bit of stats padding with worthless items, inflating values of them and thus appearing to be more profitable than they are. Maybe so they can then sell their businesses?

Ever wondered how Chinese businesses can send a $2 item postal charges free from Shenzhen to Melbourne? When for us to send it there, we would be charged $30 ? Apparently the Chinese government subsidise postal charges so shipping these fake shipments out costs them virtually nothing.

2 Likes

On the first part, it’s also to be able to post “legitimate” reviews related to “actual” purchases.

On the second part, it’s a subsidy scheme by many countries, not just by China/the exporters.

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, I used to get 10 copies each month of Tractor Monthly, free of charge - official price per copy was $5.
After the Empire fell there was trouble with the mechanics of privatisation and setting an asset value.
A. Russian explained that there had not been any accountants in Russia since the Revolution.

Just this week, there seems to be a big increase in email scams. The usual form is a mail purporting to be from your admin ( with some obscure email address or even your own ) it tells you your messages are blocked, they are waiting, or you have reached your mailbox limit .

Got a new one yesterday. Phone rings with a mobile number. Someone shouts at you In Cantonese then hangs up.

It’s a (very mild) scam by the seller, they sign up on AliX with your details that they’ve scraped from somewhere, send you something worth $1.00, then give themselves 5 star reviews.

I got a good un today:

To avoid disruption to services, please check your statue’s details,

2 foot tall, gnomish, some moss.

10 Likes

Got a suss Parcel tracking email after making a few ebay purchases over the weekend.

Kinda ridiculous effort really. Still

1 Like

was anything truthful ever written in comic sans?

4 Likes

Got a call from Amazon prime asking me too renew my subscription I’ve never had a subscription.

Being an accountant, I receive calls from the ATO concerning clients. Feel sorry for ATO employees with an Indian accent who must get some pretty direct responses from a lot of those who they call given that Indians are premier league standard scammers.

1 Like