Leadership Group 2020 - Who is "Highly Rated Internally"?

I’m pretty sure Richardson said that players get a bit of imput but ultimately leadership group is a management decision. Interestingly IIRC neither Hooker or Hurley were at the cafe meeting for Shiel in october so maybe the leadership group had already been settled then?

I always interpreted that as beaurocratic stuff. Yes utlimately it is management’s decision, they sign off on it, but it’s recommended to them by the players in their voting.

You can slant headlines in many ways and still be valid. The Age attempts to use negative Essendon news as clickbait. The followers of 17 other clubs love negative news about Essendon and are more likely to click on it. Simple. However, overall, its not doing the Age any good at all and its readership drops 10-20 year on year.

There’s probably a concept of “paying dues” that’s at least in part applicable in this case.

1 Like

I didn’t say anything about the club.

He can be quite playful, and distracted if things are not going his way sometimes whereas Hooker is a very levelled head. He was the vice captain for a reason. Hurley has always been passionate and committed to motivate and encourage his teammates to do better.

Happy for Daniher, though, I just hope he gets to dominate again.

Really?

Then if you aren’t talking about the club on this forum just what are you talking about?

For me the change in the leadership group shows the generational change in the team. The team no longer ‘belongs’ to that older group. Hurley and Hooker represent the older generation of the team, the team of the early 2010s. But most of those guys (i.e. Jobe, Fletcher, Stanton, Hocking, Howlett, Winderlich and even BJ) have gone in recent years. It was interesting to note that it was Hooker and Hurley who spoke when BJ retired.

This most recent leadership group is made up of the players that the players want to lead them - from their group. I’m sure the younger players still respect the older players but its their own aged peers that they want leading them.

6 Likes

Very fair. Makes sense.

Yep not a bad hunch that.

makes sense they vote that young fellow, the one that was awarded most improved.

So how else should the Age have phrased the Title of the story - Should they have substituted the word ‘cut’ with demoted, withdrawn,sacked, promoted etc,etc, etc - You need to remove the chip on your shoulder.

This is Australia, I have the right to free chip on the shoulder.

Think its time we went back to the coaching department picking the leadership group rather than the playing group.

I miss the connection that James and Sheedy had and still do have.

This club needs some tough love not the hugging and kind words that float around so regularly.

1 Like

We need to move on every player that was impacted by the saga(including Zaka who wasn’t banned). Outside of Hooker none of them have performed to pre saga level and all are a big reason we are mentally weak.

Yes the club screwed them over and we owed them but we’ve given them 3 years and it hasn’t worked. Noting the vast majority of the 34 are not on our list anyway, sentimentally can’t rule the decision making for the handful left.

Heppel gets us back into the first round and he can be successful elsewhere.

Myers, TBC, Zaka, Hurley and Hooker, we take whatever we can get and in some cases lose out to offload the contracts.

We need to start afresh with no lingering saga demons. The players have all done a lot for the club but maybe a year or two elsewhere is a mentally a better way to end their careers anyway.

I’m sure this will get flamed, but I think it is the only way forward for the club. Otherwise we tread water for the next few years as they retire naturally.

2 Likes

None of our leaders stood up yesterday though. thats massively concerning. It was very telling when @Bully mentioned bumping into Shiels dad who said Dylan was shocked how we dont train anywhere near hard enough. I hope Shiel takes the reigns and tells everyone how its going to be from this point on.

Theres no way there will be any official leadership change, but im hoping Dylan steps up.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the anger still fresh off sitting at the ground and watching that tripe but, I agree with you. First time I’ve thought like this but there is something majorly wrong and we have (seemingly) tried everything else. I love all those guys mentioned above-esp Hurley-but they seem cooked. See what happens but if we don’t improve let’s move them on. What’s the worst that could happen-we are mediocre? Heaven forbid.

1 Like

we have leaders?

8 Likes

To be fair Heppell cracked in eventually, I’m not so happy about the pseudo defensive role they seem to want him playing, we need every midfielder who can take a grab in the centre of the ground.

i thought he played a good game as an individual, but as a captain on sunday i didnt see much leadership from him. im hoping its an isolated game or we are looking at Hepp’s being a real Marc Murphy style captain. guess we will find out on saturday