LED Downlights

Got some pendants (normal garden variety) the other month. $260 from Australian lighting or $90 online.

Got a bunch of other stuff as well, would'ev been ~$1700 from Aus lighting or under $800 shopping around online.

Jerks.

But aren't they always closing down and on sale????!!!!

OK, we just got 5 LED downlights installed in our kitchen (and removed the flouro tubes).
72mm, 10w, slightly warm in colour. "HQ-COB LED downlight kit" for those playing at home. Very happy with the colour, brightness level, cosmetics, etc.
My sparky mate charged me $35 for each kit and $45/hr for labour, seems ok to me.
I got him to replace some switches and hang 2 pendants over our breakfast bar, 3 pendants over our dining table, and another pendant in the corner of our living room. He had to re-wire the living room pendant too as the existing one was on speaker wire...

What brand were they out of interest?

Good question. The only other detail on the box was the email address HQLED.com.au, which seems to be 'suspended'.

He said he got them from Middy's (sp?), some tradie shop for sparkies I assume.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

Never heard of em?

hey, any recomendations for globes in the bathroom? ive got some MR16 halogens, and they dont cope well with the steam, its a low cieling and not very good airflow so i think the contacts arent up to it. happy to either replace with similar downlight or some style youd recommend.

Replace the whole fitting with an IP rated LED downlight, fully sealed from the front.  

Replace the whole fitting with an IP rated LED downlight, fully sealed from the front.  

by "the whole thing" you mean the thing thats plugged in the roof space?

if so it sounds like something i can get in a box.

thanks

Yeh replace the whole fitting.  The ones we normally use in bathrooms are a 10W LED IP44, it is a whole fitting complete with plug and driver.

Got some pendants (normal garden variety) the other month. $260 from Australian lighting or $90 online.

Got a bunch of other stuff as well, would'ev been ~$1700 from Aus lighting or under $800 shopping around online.

Jerks.

But aren't they always closing down and on sale????!!!!

They ■■■■■■ well should be closing down soon.

Over 100% markup. And the shipping was $8 all up for the 4 gigantic boxes from two separate joints in QLD, Aus lighting would've charged us heaps more than that to drop them at our house up the road. Exact same things, we literally typed in the model & colour into the interwebs and bought it straight off.

They can go and get....

I just checked their website and we're cheaper on everything they have on the front page.

Yeh replace the whole fitting.  The ones we normally use in bathrooms are a 10W LED IP44, it is a whole fitting complete with plug and driver.

how much extra do these cost? sealed fittings would be the business. super efficient! 

how much extra do these cost? sealed fittings would be the business. super efficient! 

Depends on the brand, but if you want them fully sealed from the front so you don't lose any heat, you can do that with a normal IP20 fitting, don't need the IP44 ones necessarily.  

What do the resident exprets think of this deal? 

http://www.aussietradesupplies.com.au/catalogue/lighting/led_lighting/downlinghts_led/MD490

Thought they were cheap at first then realised the additional cost of the fitting (I assume that is the housing that sits in the ceiling?)

I just put those in my place and they are brilliant.

I fitted them all myself and it was very simple.

Hey Vandrs,

Does this price seem competitive to you?

Did you put them into exisitng downlight holes? Or did you do it from scratch? I'm going to fit out our place with these hopefully. Problem being current lighting is the old school one big one hanging from the centre of the ceiling or wall lighting.

Cheers

Mercator don't have the best name with the LED downlights, they've had issues with their brand of driver.  

Funny you say that - bought a Joyster ceiling fan with light and remote the other week, just a cheapy at $119. Sparky hung it for me the day after I bought it, it turned on, but the light wouldnt turn off. Warranty job. Parent company? Mercator.

Where is your shop Rocky? Do you have an online shop?

Mercator fans are best in the business, most of their other lights are pretty awesome as well.  But I haven't heard much good about their LED gear.

Don't have an online shop (at this stage, it is coming!!), if you shoot me a PM with what you're chasing I can quote something up for you if you want.

Hey Vandrs,

Does this price seem competitive to you?

Did you put them into exisitng downlight holes? Or did you do it from scratch? I'm going to fit out our place with these hopefully. Problem being current lighting is the old school one big one hanging from the centre of the ceiling or wall lighting.

Cheers

Yeah price looks good. I think I paid 40 for each of mine but that's cause my shop is right next to an Australian Lighting store.

My house is 3 years old and it just came with the basic screw in ( baton ) light fixture.

The new LED lights are wider than standard down lights so you'll have to use a plaster saw to make the holes bigger. Luckily for me I could use a hole saw which was heaps easier, and less messy.

[spoiler]

(checks phone, maybe this Tuesday)  :ph34r:

[/spoiler]

renewableenergydevices.com.au

Yay! Installed 27 x 90mm LED 13W downlights replacing existing ones.

Fellow blitzer installed them. Definitely on the ball and knows what he's doing.

Don't talk football to him though (joke, don't ban me)! :P