Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

His hammies are not the problem. He sits of the contest and spectates far too often.

2 Likes

We should put him in the middle for a half and see if he can find the footy.

What’s the point? He wouldnt even be getting a VFL game if he wasn’t on an AFL list. I eckon they would have put a line through his name already, and only a remarkable from reversal will see him on a list next year.

1 Like

Is that definitely going ahead?

Yup, was part of the CBA.

1 Like

Could be good timing for players like Morgan if it’s a shallow draft

I remember there were a few suggesting Adams pre-draft for that pick. Regardless, its fair to say Morgan wasn’t what most draft watchers thought we should go for & while all drafting is pretty much a raffle, it appeared Morgan was a hail Mary similar to Steinberg. Sometimes these longshots pay off, other times they flop just not sure if picks in the early 30’s is where we can afford to keep missing.

2 Likes

I wish people would stop mentioning Matheson. He is ■■■■■. Looks better because he is getting a regular game with the bottom ranked team. Plus I don’t think his body size will develop enough for the position he plays. He won’t ever be better than just a good honest role player in the middle. One that wouldn’t be getting a game with us right now. So I’m happy we took a risk on Morgan who is still a player type that we need now and in the future.

1 Like

1st round = best available. 2nd round = upside. 3rd round = role player. That is Dodoro’s strategy. He’s hoping to find a Zerrett with pick 30. The benefits of getting an elite player every 3-4 years is more than getting a mediocre one every 2 years.

4 Likes

I agree, Mathieson would struggle to get a game with us.

He would be nothing more than depth and would be better off staying where he is.

I had high hopes for Morgan when we first drafted him. His suspect hamstrings have held him back, which is disappointing. In the absence of other factors, I would have wanted him to get another chance…but

Many VFL watchers have talked about his lack of desire for the contest. Observations are that he watches contested situations and waits to receive the football. He is slow to get to position - which is sad for someone we drafted for absolute speed capability. Seems like he does not really want to be there. So while he might have had some problems with his legs, seems like the real problem is between the ears. If this is truly the case, we have no room for him on our list - main or rookie. Available list places need to be for those who are going to make every fight for their place in the best 22.

1 Like

Should be delisted at seasons end

Thanks Fellas. Yeah I seem to agree with most. Gave him a go, not good enough…move on.

Steinberg wasn’t a hail mary. He wouldn’t have even reached our next pick.

Morgan would have reached our next pick too

There’s some fair criticisms that can be levelled at Disco but generally he is very good at working out who will go where.
Doesn’t mean the decision was right but I suspect he knew that someone wanted Morgan. 28 to 54 is a big gap.

FWIW if he gets delisted tomorrow I’d still prefer him to Mathieson.

I was being facetious with the Morgan at our next pick remark as our next pick was 30 (Redman)

I think disco generally does a good job but I’d feel more comfortable if speculative picks were 3rd round not second.

2 Likes

On what grounds? One has shown that he can play AFL to at least a certain level, whilst the other struggles to show anything at VFL level.

Strange logic.

2 Likes

Steinberg was a Hail Mary. He played a few TAC games in his draft year and his best performances were against weakened sides during the champs.

Even if someone else did select him before our next pick (which is very uncertain) they would have done so on the assumption they were making a Hail Mary attempt. Picking him with a second rounder when blokes like Parker and Hallahan (who I slightly preferred to Parker but who’s had a career destroyed by knee injuries) was an extraordinary gamble on a very weak hand. And this is NOT an example of 20-20 hindsight, many people including me were shocked and disappointed when we took Steinberg & left these guys on the shelf at the time.

Jackets is on record as saying 2nd rounders are for gambling with, and his record refle ts that opinion. I have to disagree, personally.

10 Likes

He’s probably landed 4 in a decade, not all of which were gambles - Zerret, Carlisle, colyer zaharakis. We’ll see on Ridley and begley