Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

I suppose it depends on your definition of a “Hail Mary”. If several clubs rate a player around that pick, I don’t think the mix of upside vs. proven performance matters - I don’t consider it a Hail Mary. If nobody rates the player, or knows of them (e.g. J Davies, C. Howard), then I think it is a Hail Mary.

You are free to believe he may not have reached our next pick but nobody expected him to go at our pick & as its turned out it was the wrong call especially when draft watchers even here were saying Parker was exactly what we needed. I’m not hanging Dodoro on 1 pick or even 1 draft my criticism of him has been about his strategy & again drafting a long shot medium forward just never looks to me like a priority especially when there was midfield options available.

I think we’ve done pretty well with our second round picks comparatively.

1 Like

He may well have. I haven’t done that assessment

Reminds me of Dalgliesh. Just can’t get the ball or influence a contest.

I wouldn’t have thought many of those were ‘hail Mary’ prospects. I was shocked Carlisle dropped as far as he did, and Colyer, Zaka, Zerrett were all picked around where they were expected to go. Jerrett and redman were around about too, perhaps less predicted but still not startling. Steinberg, Morgan, Begley, and arguably Ridley were more the longshot types.

I know. He’s more of a PICK FIVE type of guy.

6 Likes

Reckon Dalgleish is a better player.[quote=“Crazy_Bomber, post:526, topic:2868, full:true”]
Reminds me of Dalgliesh. Just can’t get the ball or influence a contest.
[/quote]

Cos he’s a cheating twerp who annoys me a lot

I know we spoke with Parker pre draft & he was decidedly disappointed we didn’t take him.

What would you give for him now? He’s a gun & exactly what we need for our midfield. Probably turned out for the best for him anyway given what our guys have gone through & Sydney playing in grand finals etc.

1 Like

Ameet BAINS

I don’t mind picks like Morgan at the Round 3/4+ mark, but not when we usually ignore a good midfield pick in the second round.

5 Likes

There was definitely talk on other message boards about some clubs being disappointed he was gone. Obviously us amateurs not involved in any clubs won’t ever know how true or not it was. And plenty of Blitzers wanted guys who failed, the fact that Parker 9 picks later was wanted and succeeded seems a pretty silly standard to compare Steinberg to. But it happens all the time. There was also a huge need for that type of footballer at the club - our forward line was a mess if you recall.

1 Like

I know. Howe was two picks later and is a much more obvious comparison. Similar position, similarly unexpected.

Again, I am not hanging Dodoro on 1 pick but a medium sized half forward with very little exposed form will never be a need as long as we have a weak midfield. I’m not saying we should only have had eyes for Parker as the obvious best player after our pick but there were options like Hallahan who at the absolute least attempted to address the need for Mids. That need has been blatant for more than a decade and again today came home to roost.

1 Like

I’ve seen the tools as to why Morgan was taken.
He has the pace, I’ve seen him kick well on both left and right and make good decisions.

The correct info is that it is too few and far between.

With his hamstring issues, the club maybe happy to just see him on the park consistently at the moment.

Personally, I think there is a player in there, confidence in his body is where it lies.

2 Likes

i would give him one more year

4 Likes

Yeah. I thought he was good today.

2 Likes

There were some good moments in his game today. Showed a turn of pace after winning the ball in traffic for example, and importantly following that up with hitting a target. Need to see more second efforts from him though and raise his possession tally to low 20 mark at least. His under 18’s highlights are good. I have high hopes for him. As mentioned by many here, confidence does seem to be an issue with Alex. He won’t be delisted, nor he should be. Don’t know why such talk exists. It does not fit with the current state of the list. He’s building and hopefully next year ( his 3rd ) we will see further improvement, or such talk of delisting could be warranted. Hope he makes it, as Morgan can attack the ball, use it well by foot and is very quick. Has the potential to be a serious line breaking type. Would release McGarth into the midfield too.

3 Likes

Reckon we would be silly to not give him 1 more year considering we already have a long list of names to delist / retire

Unless the club has another prospect in mind like Hinds who was,very good yesterday as well