Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

I don’t see him getting near the 22 this year. Because of the strength of the 22 I think a few of our younger players will look for other opportunities with other teams in the future.

Players that will retire in the the next 3 years.

Goddard
Baguley
Luey

We are going to have a glut of players the right age for the next 5 years and should now be targeting premierships every year.

I think Morgan should go. He might crack over 10 possessions in NM under seige backline.

There’s opportunities there - he’d need to improve a fair bit. McGrath moves up the park, McKenna possibly does the same,( Saad fills one spot), how long does Bags have left.

But the main thing is he needs to improve again on his VFL form from the last month, and hold that form.

2 Likes

I reckon McNiece is the logical replacement for the Bagman. Morgan is a long way back…

1 Like

All true.

And if all he wants is to play AGO he should go.

Great lists are built on every player wanting and pushing for a premiership. If he wants a premiership it makes the list better, if he’s just looking for a game and a match payment, he should go wherever

17 games this year was a good result after some issues last year with fitness.

I don’t see how he could possibly crack our team unless we had a huge amount of injuries and let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

If an offer were to come from another club I don’t think the club would talk him out of it.

I reckon I’ve seen about one or two games that have been better than average from him. Good luck to him if he gets a senior gig on our list or elsewhere because it’d be based on blind faith and not anything he’s shown on the football field. I’m not fussed if he does or doesn’t but he needs to work on getting involved more in games, absolutely invisible in the majority of games and struggles to find the ball and his pace is rendered useless if he can’t get the pill.

I think the vfl final he played this year was the best game he has played for the club.

He started to use his attributes and appeared to have more confidence in his body.

On that outing I was keen to retain him.

9 Likes

Huh? McNiece was an academy pick up. All of the candidates were signed off by the AFL (there were a number playing VFL) and we could only put him on the list when he got through both the National Draft and Rookie Draft without being rookied. There is no way anything like that would occur for Morgan.

1 Like

If we were going to keep all those guys regardless, then in each case they were all wins since we got to use a much earlier pick in the drafts because of it, and paid less to them than we otherwise would have.

1 Like

You sure about McNiece? I thought he was a Category B.

I agree that Morgan wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) be allowed to go back to Cat B.

1 Like

Yep, McNiece was Cat B

Most people seem pretty confident in McNeice. Is it really warranted? When I’ve seen him in the VFL, he’s impressed with his delivery at times. Not much else that I can remember. He didn’t shine in his senior games, I don’t think. I’d love him to make it, but is it any more than wishful thinking?

3 Likes

imo, it’s very unlikely.
But given he’s not costing a list spot, only salary which wouldn’t be much, I have no qualms with him staying another year to see what happens.

Plus, that punch on ANZAC Day earns a player a lot of credits in the wim bank.

2 Likes

The interim rules for the indigenous/multi-cultural academies are all Cat B. I think that will revert to the standard rules in 2018. At that stage they don’t have to survive both drafts undrafted, get bid on, and go on the primary list if the club matches.

If he’s unlikely, how come everyone is talking about him as Bag’s replacement. Sounds like we should be pinning more hopes on Morgan and Redman.

I think I only saw one VFL match McNiece played and I can’t really recall him standing out.

1 Like

Couldn’t say.
Maybe use the @ symbol and ask them?
I’m not really one of them. I think all three are a fair way off Baguley.

I hope at least one of them starts knocking on the door for his position, though.
He’s turning 31 next season, so…

1 Like

On mcniece he is a really good kick and seems to defend well and i was a massive fan of his. The one thing that made me temper my expectations is warming up before his second game they were doing a ground ball and handball exercise right in front of where i sit. The kid just couldn’t pick it up cleanly to save himself. I’m talking colyer levels he really seemed to have u unclean hands which is a concern at afl level fumbling like that in a basic drill. The other players appeared to be getting frustrated with having to stop the drill every time the ball went to him.

1 Like

Mcneice fumbles like colter?

Never go full fumbles

NEVER GO FULL COLTER

4 Likes