Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

How many times has Morgan been named in the best players for the magoos since he has been with the club?

At a guess I would say zero.

I to be honest didn’t see a great deal of development across the whole season.

It was an achievement in it self for him to get through the year without injury but I would have liked him to show a bit more.

North keen on Morgan. It makes sense. The term “low bar” applies to them. This is a club where the coach Brad Scott said Nick Larkey showed he was a player of the future with a ZERO possession debut against Essendon.

2 Likes

billyhartungbillyhartungbillyhartungbillyhartungbillyhartungbillyhartung…

1 Like

44 times*

*Denotes I have made this number up

Looked through vfl website and his name didn’t come up in bests, but McNiece came up more than once, as did Francis and Long.

1 Like

To be fair, he probably meant he was a “player of the future” because that game proved he certainly was not a player for the present.

5 Likes

MORGAN is blessed with loads of natural ability and pace. His skills with both hands and feet are exceptional and from what I hear a very decent and intelligent young man. Was starting to show something late in the season. Would love to have seen him given an opportunity to play on a wing or half forward sometimes rather than deep in defence. If we don’t want to wait any longer for him to develop, let him get an opportunity at North.
I think he will play some senior footy for north.
Good luck Alex. Also, he is certainly not soft as I have read in earlier posts, I saw many of his TAC games/State games and saw him get cleaned up running back taking marks with eyes only for the ball.
Good luck Alex, hope you can show your talent even if it’s with another club.

14 Likes

Same.

I’m really not quite sure why we’re talking up one as a lock and the other two as nowhere. 5? games between them - all varying levels of forgettably competent.

Are people hanging their hats on the fact that the 25 year old was a bit closer to match ready in his first year than the 18 and 19 year old draftees?

1 Like

His reel showed something pretty special if I recall, great speed and evasiveness, smarts. Maybe it was witches hats he was moving around but there’s something there, not vanilla.

2 Likes

Alex Morgan advised the club he would like to seek further opportunities at an alternative club.

Morgan was recruited from the Oakleigh Chargers in the 2015 Draft but has been unable to break into the senior side in his two years with the Bombers.

“We offered Alex a one year contract extension but he has indicated to us that he wants to seek other opportunities,” Dodoro said.

“We respect his decision, wish him all the best for the future and thank him for his time at the Bombers.”

Good luck. Interested to see how his career goes. Hopefully he can get some games for his new club.

Alex Morgawn

14 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

How long where you sitting on this one?

2 Likes

Surely you would choose Essendon VFL over the potential of AFL at pfft Norf… All the lolz, none of the spongy floors.

2 Likes

Always an interesting one

Clubs put so much resources & faith towards injury prone player and then once that’s sorted they bail for more chance of opportunity.

Based on his skill set he’d have only been one injury to McKenna or Saad (whose had his hammy issues) away from senior game time assuming was fit.

North 2yr deal at way more cash than us since they need to spend their cap likely happening.

Both opportunity & mediocrity awaits.

9 Likes

Im a little bit annoyed at this, but maybe if we put more fatih in him earlier he would have stayed.
I had him in line for delisting anyway, so i guess afl lives are short and if offered good money then its a good move for him.

Still no announcement on Long and Jerrett?

1 Like

Well that’s quite the top 30 pick bust then.

5 Likes

Could’ve told us during that whole trade period thing where we can get players to go to other clubs

13 Likes

Has played 1 good game in the vfl (his last one) in 2 years, been injured, and generally has been in poor form for 2 years and wants to leave for MORE opportunity?

Hilarious. Will fit in at a joke club like north. See ya

19 Likes

@Speedy_Gonzales
Morgan would still need to significantly improve his form before he gets a senior gig, not withstanding any injuries to Saad or McKenna IMO. Morgan strikes me as Dalgliesh mkII. Great pace, not much else. Id rather shift McGrath to the HB line again to cover them for a couple of weeks and give a younger midfielder a go from the VFL.

@Houli_Dooli
What sort of faith are we meant to put in him? He was injured, got back to VFL and was decidedly average. Not sure what we could do to show more faith? And I woudlnt want to give him a 2 year contract, if that’d be the show of faith required, for someone who’s shown not a heck of a lot at VFL level, id question a 2 year deal.

1 Like