Leg Speed

Dustin Fletcher is in the top 5 fastest guys in our senior team right now. That’s great for Dustin, and he has never been slow, but you cant have guys in your mildfield like Jobe and Hep, and surround them with so many guys of moderate pace.

What would it be

Colyer
Dempsey

Day Light

Zerrett
Zaka
Fletch
Gleeson?

and the thing is, guys like Zerret and Zaka, while quick for our list, are only slightly above average pace at AFL level, after that the drop off is severe. The scarey thing is in the 2’s after Fantasia and Edwards, there is Jerrett, and he is a bit like his brother in the pace department, then its a cliff drop off as well.

Yes we miss Myers and Hocking, but neither of those guys are Usain Bolt.

Forgot about dalgliesh, he is just what we need. Id love him to come in.

Is it leg speed or the fact that we are not getting first hands on the footy? At the centre bounce we are getting soundly beaten for first possession, and often it is a clean win to the opposition. Automatically you look slow, and for 3 quarters v Sydney and the Hawks game that wasn’t something we were being called. I don’t think we are the quickest going, but win it at the coalface and dish it out, we will look far slicker and hopefully can get some clean forward entries…

Winderlich and Cooney would be helpful. Unlike this comment…

Dustin Fletcher is in the top 5 fastest guys in our senior team right now. That's great for Dustin, and he has never been slow, but you cant have guys in your mildfield like Jobe and Hep, and surround them with so many guys of moderate pace.

What would it be

Colyer
Dempsey

Day Light

Zerrett
Zaka
Fletch
Gleeson?

and the thing is, guys like Zerret and Zaka, while quick for our list, are only slightly above average pace at AFL level, after that the drop off is severe. The scarey thing is in the 2’s after Fantasia and Edwards, there is Jerrett, and he is a bit like his brother in the pace department, then its a cliff drop off as well.

How’s Usain’s disposal? WSPHU.

I was so drunk at both the first two rounds I can’t remember why we didn’t look slow… However we have looked very slow the last three weeks. The problem as I see it of trying to bring in a bit more pace is threefold.

Dalgeish is another HBF, bizarrely we have tried to develop him in another position so you would have to drop a Dempsey or Gleeson.

Fantasia is built like a praying mantis and although he would add pace to our offensive spread its defensively where we are hurting and I doubt he could stick a tackle.

Edwards doesn’t touch the ball.

Is it leg speed or the fact that we are not getting first hands on the footy? At the centre bounce we are getting soundly beaten for first possession, and often it is a clean win to the opposition. Automatically you look slow, and for 3 quarters v Sydney and the Hawks game that wasn't something we were being called. I don't think we are the quickest going, but win it at the coalface and dish it out, we will look far slicker and hopefully can get some clean forward entries...
Both. Saints players just waltzed by like we were standing still several times. Several of our guys were burnt off by the opposition today. Trav showed how important genuine speed is, didnt do it enough though

Leg speed has nothing to do with our recent form.

Getting smashed at stoppages however does.

That said I would love to see Dalgliesh in the team. He legitimately would burn Colyer off

Is it leg speed or the fact that we are not getting first hands on the footy? At the centre bounce we are getting soundly beaten for first possession, and often it is a clean win to the opposition. Automatically you look slow, and for 3 quarters v Sydney and the Hawks game that wasn't something we were being called. I don't think we are the quickest going, but win it at the coalface and dish it out, we will look far slicker and hopefully can get some clean forward entries...

It’s this. Ball travels faster than the man.

Leg speed is nice and all but that’s far from our biggest problem. Did we look slow against Hawks? No! Our problem is that we cant maintain intensity from game to game. We play 2 hard games against 2 good sides and take 3 weeks to recover.

We have been outnumbered at every contest and have just been plodding around like we are farked right from the first bounce for the last 3 weeks. When we get 3 goals down we lift just enough to stay in-touch. Very very frustrating but leg speed has very little to do with it.

We need consistent footballers who can get up for every game and bring the same intensity every-game. Until we can do this we will be a middle of the pack team with Richmond and co who have the same problem.

Anyone who doesn’t think leg speed isn’t a problem is going to get a rude shock how badly this is going to get exposed on the wide open spaces of subi against a team with some seriously quick guys

That’s doubly concerning then, because

Is it leg speed or the fact that we are not getting first hands on the footy? At the centre bounce we are getting soundly beaten for first possession, and often it is a clean win to the opposition. Automatically you look slow, and for 3 quarters v Sydney and the Hawks game that wasn’t something we were being called. I don’t think we are the quickest going, but win it at the coalface and dish it out, we will look far slicker and hopefully can get some clean forward entries…

There has to be a man there to get the ball after its travelled through the air so fast. Which means he has to run there, and it’ll be a much better result if he gets there before his opponent.

We don’t get back fast enough and we have very few players who can break the lines or move into space quickly when we go forward

That's doubly concerning then, because

There has to be a man there to get the ball after its travelled through the air so fast. Which means he has to run there, and it’ll be a much better result if he gets there before his opponent.

Exactly we can get any space on our opponents

Btw Daniher, Carlisle, Ambrose and Langford is far to tall in our forward line

I’m not sure it’s our most glaring issue, but it’s an issue.

I’m more worried that our slow-but-hard-bodied-contested-midfield, loses contested possession so much

Dustin Fletcher is in the top 5 fastest guys in our senior team right now. That's great for Dustin, and he has never been slow, but you cant have guys in your mildfield like Jobe and Hep, and surround them with so many guys of moderate pace.

What would it be

Colyer
Dempsey

Day Light

Zerrett
Zaka
Fletch
Gleeson?

Yep team is slow as ■■■■.

Only guy with blistering pace is Trav and as it turns out he is the main reason we are 3-2 and not 1-4.

Dempsey a bit further behind pace-wise and after that you have only average and below average paced blokes.

Dyson and Jobe are extremely slow which isn’t always an issue when they are playing well, but an incredible disadvantage when they are down.

The thing is people tend to just think about leg speed when we have the ball. A big part of our problem is when we need to be able to take a mark and play on quickly, the last couple of weeks, all of our options are closed down. Players just aren’t getting away from their man.

Now some of that is workrate (which is also fucking deplorable for a side this experienced), but leg speed is a factor too.

Same goes up forward. Ball is being bombed in constantly and the opposition are just waltzing our under basically no pressure.

We need blokes who can run and carry sure, but also who are agile, can put the sidestep on and change angles to find a free man.

All this talk of essendon’s ‘outside run’ by the media after round 2 was a ■■■■■■■ joke.

Time after time, every player is going to the contest, the opposition flicks the ball out and they are away.

What ■■■■■■■ outside run?

A fair point PP.

Dalgleish tweaked his knee at an annoying time.

I think leg speed is one of our biggest issue. I think its got three factors.

1. We never break free from stoppage situations so it’s really easy for the defense of the opposition set up with a man back, because we haven’t been able to burst free and are under pressure we’ll get a crap kick to our forwards and of course they can’t mark it because it’s mission impossible to mark those high balls, then the ball hits the deck and we’re outnumbered and the opposition waltz away with the ball. If we had some burst speed from stoppages you’d be able to split up the defense of the opposition putting them under pressure.

2. If the opposition win the ball at stoppages, once they get the ball slightly out of the coal face they can burst away from our mids and know they’re not going to get caught.

3. Yes the ball travels faster in the air than a man can carry it but the game has changed because of the amount of congestion on the field. Because there’s so much congestion, there’s lots of space. Lots of space means lots of footraces to use that space and we get smashed in this department. It’s comical watching our players get burnt in footraces looking like they’ve got cement boots on.

Leg speed is the most overrated thing in footy. How you move the ball is key