Leg Speed

Forgot about dalgliesh, he is just what we need. Id love him to come in.

I have no doubt he’d be in now if not for the injury.

Plenty on the list. They just don’t play. Hird loves the old boys.

It's ball movement and efficency, not just leg speed.

Ball travels faster by foot not by hand.

Refer Hawthorn, not overly quick but their ball movement and kicking skills make them appear quick.

Oh they kick more than handball aswell.

And yet nobody can lay a glove on Rioli, Burgoyne waltzes through traffic like he’s walking around witches hats, Hill turns players inside out, Puopolo is putting in blistering 100 metre sprints just to lay a tackle etc etc.

You’ve got to be able to move the ball well, no doubt about that.

But it’s not an either/or scenario. You need both

Yep add to that list Smith, Breust and Duryea and you realise they are not slow at all.

Leg speed is the most overrated thing in footy. How you move the ball is key

Why do people think leg speed is only used when in attack? Lack of leg speed hurts you more the other way. Manning up, closing down space, chasing down opponents… We need more of it.

Lack of leg speed is part of the reason guys like Heppell, Watson and co in our midfield get burnt when they don’t have the ball.

Too much vanilla in the team.

Need the coaches to instruct Hibbo to attack off half back.

Give Zaka more midfield time.

Get Dalgleish in the team.

Not sure about Melks and modern footy

It didn’t matter in 2012/13 when we were dominating sides through shear grunt work on the inside with clean disposal and clean, direct football.

Oh wait. We can’t win the ball at the moment because our two most important stoppage players are out injured.

Wait until Hocking and Myers are back in the team and then see how we fair as I bet our clearances and contested possessions will improve with them in the side.

And people saying we don’t have players who can burst away from congestion and deliver down the ground, we do. His name is Adam Cooney who is also injured at the moment. We looked a hell of a lot better with him running through the middle than we have the last few weeks.

It didn't matter in 2012/13 when we were dominating sides through shear grunt work on the inside with clean disposal and clean, direct football.

Oh wait. We can’t win the ball at the moment because our two most important stoppage players are out injured.

Wait until Hocking and Myers are back in the team and then see how we fair as I bet our clearances and contested possessions will improve with them in the side.

And people saying we don’t have players who can burst away from congestion and deliver down the ground, we do. His name is Adam Cooney who is also injured at the moment. We looked a hell of a lot better with him running through the middle than we have the last few weeks.

All good against anyone else but a bottom 4 team.

I’d take someone who could run out Four qtrs over speed.

In The last quarters we seem to have no legs at all, let alone speedy ones.

We will get smashed next week unless something changes.

Langford was good today for first game, but agree we need more speed. We are very slow when trying to release the ball. Stants, BY, Jobe are all slow and the sooner EFC realise we need speed the better. The only reason we are 3/2 is that Swans and Hawks are as slow as us, but can move the ball better.

Speed, repeat speed and anything related to running is what we lack. The line that ‘the ball travels faster than a player’ is completely missing the point. Speed breaks lines, creates space, creates defensive pressure, allows front and centre goals etc. The all round running ability and general athleticism is becoming the most important thing in the game. Especially as rotations continue to be dropped.

It didn't matter in 2012/13 when we were dominating sides through shear grunt work on the inside with clean disposal and clean, direct football.

Be serious. Our 3rd and 4th most important stoppage players are out injured, making it more difficult for our two most important stoppage players to do their job.

Be serious. Our 3rd and 4th most important stoppage players are out injured, making it more difficult for our two most important stoppage players to do their job.

Well no.

They are the most important because they block and create space for Heppell and Jobe on the inside, making them far more effective. Something our other mids can’t seem to get their heads around.

Watson and Heppell are our two best midfielders and our best clearance players. Myers and Hocking are our most important stoppage players. There is a difference.

Well no.

They are the most important because they block and create space for Heppell and Jobe on the inside, making them far more effective. Something our other mids can’t seem to get their heads around.

Watson and Heppell are our two best midfielders and our best clearance players. Myers and Hocking are our most important stoppage players. There is a difference.

Not really worth arguing with your definitions when I agree with the core of your argument. So, agreed.

Well no.

Not really worth arguing with your definitions when I agree with the core of your argument. So, agreed.

Fair enough mate.

Clean ball use. Where has it gone? Why are we the only team I watch that can’t take the ball cleanly by hand? Fumble, second grabs, etc. Or, if that’s too general, why can St.Kilda take the ball cleanly more often than not, where we juggle and fumble like clowns?

I noticed this few years back. I knew I was right when I watching the GWS game last year and not to mentioned the games we beat the Suns and the Dogs. It stood out so much.

We just got over these sides and they were just young sides we should bully and beat up. Good sides did that to them.

In the short term the only blokes who can help add speed and potentially play to a decent level are Cooney, Fantasia and Jerrett.

Fantasia in would be a start

Leg speed is only a part of the problem but it stands out because overall we don't run & spread well enough. We have too many guys who simply don't cover enough ground & so our lack of pace gets exposed when we can't make up for the workrate with pace. Also pace at the centre bounces is lacking. We don't really have the guys who can hit the pack at pace, get the ball & execute a clean clearance. We so often turn our 1st possession into another stoppage because we run into or handball into a pack. We don't have a reliable outside runner who we go to. Look at the way Steven today ran away from stoppages. Our guys get caught too often so panic disposal.

I get your point, but seriously, how many players are there in the competition that can do that?

It doesn’t have to be Colyer level pace but just that ability to run through packs & break open the play. Zaka at his best can do it & Cooney used to be able to do it but most of our midfield have below average pace or in the case of Stanton & Howlett, not much lateral movement. We don’t have many players who can take the game on run past an opponent through pace or “selling candy” so this often sees our players forced backwards or corralled onto their wrong side. Watch Port’s mids for an example of guys who can regularly get past opponents by taking them on. Eberts not quick but he can move through traffic & he runs all day. I’d love to see GPS data on our players as I just don’t believe we as a group run as hard as the top sides. Today for example Stkilda just seem to have outside runners more often & they seemed to have more players prepared to run hard to create options. Their skills were still poor (underdeveloped) which allowed us to negate their outside dominance to some extent. Stanton is by far our best runner in terms of Km covered, we need more of that level of running power & it would allows us to move the ball quicker.