Let there be drums!

TD’s are great fun.
Dont be ashamed.

1 Like

The mighty Mick Burns playing my custom Alex Van Halen copy kit back in the day.

3 Likes

Whoa! R&R royalty right there!

1 Like

And if you ever watch guitar gods and masterpieces, thats Hack Wanger when he was just plain ol Dave Loader on the guitar.

1 Like

I knew Ross Percy very well back in his Ion Drive days! And in an amazing coincidence he lives just across the road from my old mum!

1 Like

Far out, I know Ross. I was jaming with him last year with Nothing Sacred.

Small world.

1 Like

Indeed.

Sons looking to buy a mid range EDK, of decent quality 2nd hand.

Would that Roland one fit the bill?

I grew up with Mick, he’s another Emerald boy.
You will never meet a nicer guy. Still touch base with him now and again.
He was playing Carmen Apices ludwig, carmen left it in Aus after touring with Rod Stewart.
Some lowlife stole it as Mick was unloading from a gig.
I gave him mine to play in the meantime. Hence that pic.

Current basher. TAMA superstar, she’s a bit dusty.

1 Like

Dont know much about them, mate.
I had a Roland TD 5 with V drum snare when one of my sons was a baby so I could still play in the house.
I loved it. A lot of fun.

1 Like

I spent a grand on the TD11. It is everything a intermediate to pretty good player will ever need. Probably get it for less in Melbourne (as opposed to Perth where I am now). Rolands hold their money. Parts are readily available and you can upgrade components and software. Lots of YT videos on all aspects. Lots of FB groups to get you going or lend a hand.

2 Likes

I saw Mick play a fair bit with Ross when Ion Drive was a trio with Don. Mainly in Frankston where Ross is from as you’d know. I saw Carmine do a drum clinic at Camberwell Town Hall during that Rod Stewart tour in ‘79. John Annas got up and duelled with him. Great drummer was Carmine. Saw Vinny with Heaven & Hell a while ago. He’s good but his big brother is awesome…

1 Like

100% agree with all of that man.
The ol metal for melbourne days. There was nothing like it.
Ross and Jax run the boogie man bar on Hoddle street now. If anyone wants a gig they will hook you up. Very passionate about keeping the Melbourne live music scene going, no matter the genre.
By the way…thats me in the old pic on vox, when I had hair. :grin:

4 Likes

Oh…yeah,Don heads up a cover band now, Rust Bucket.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go electric when it comes to the aforementioned music room… it just seems to make too much sense, now that there’s better stuff at certain price points. I’ve never been a fan of the hard rubber pads, so I’m glad to see you can get mesh now on most.

The hard part seems to be finding something in my price range that allows for custom samples. I have a whole bunch of my own personal samples I’ve put together and it’s pretty much a requirement that I have a way to use them.

I had an audition last week for a cover band; still waiting to hear an answer. Feel like I have a good shot due to previous knowledge of much of the material; biggest con is that I don’t live close to any of them.

2 Likes

Didn’t get the gig. Kinda salty.

Seriously though, I had to audition at 10 am on a Saturday morning on the opposite side of town. Who the fark rehearses at 10 am? A church band? Is it any wonder I was lethargic.

Now I’m trying to decide if a Genesis tribute is worth my time.

1 Like

That’s a bit shi/tty. If it’s any consolation I auditioned just before C19 with one of the worst bands I’ve ever played with and I didn’t get the gig either. Could not work it out. Anyway everything happens for a reason. I found another very talented guy and we’re working up some very nice originals, so who knows…oh, but friends don’t ever let friends go full Genesis. You may end up playing One More Night (*shudders…)

Not a Genesis song.

1 Like

Depends whether it’s pre or post Gabriel.