Lindsay Tanner - Almost Exident

The fish rots at the head

2 Likes

Nope, I don’t think getting rid of Worsfold is the solution. The simple fact is that the club president is supposed to be out there actively promoting and defending the club, the only stuff you find on this guy is related to the Labor party.

This utter shambles is happening under your watch Lindsay. Time to fall on your sword

2 Likes

So the “perfect Man” leaves a scorched earth… Hmm, how can we apply that to our current situation? :thinking:

1 Like

Well yes! Yes we have had more useless Presidents, and most of them have been in this very millennium. certainly the most damaging one has been.

Edit: this is not intended to endorse the self-proclaimed “perfect man” as the best choice as EFC President.

1 Like

Not the first time he’s been part of a shambles either.

1 Like

Completely irrelevant chairman. Time to get someone who will provide some long term leadership.

I listened to him pre game on 3aw, he didn’t have an opinion on anything and even talked down his knowledge of football.

Seriously, get off the fkn fence, have an opinion, call a spade a spade.

1 Like

I miss paul littles open letters.

Waiting for some to attack the bootstudder/ property person/mascot/door person - Have I missed anyone.

1 Like

Tanner was a very good Finance Minister and was respected by the opposition. IIRC he announced his intention to retire shortly after Gillard became PM, when she could have drawn on his expertise.
Whatever is wrong with the club, he needs to take charge. I don’t think X, coming mainly from a marketing background, is equipped to have carriage for such a task.

You’re right, bigallen. My memory slipped a couple of gears.

Tanner was Minister for Finance and Deregulation under Rudd — that’s a great job description for a Labor man. On the 24 June 2010, during Gillard’s first question time as PM, Tanner announced that he was retiring from Parliament. Parliament was dissolved on the 19 July — the general election was held on 21 August, and in comes Bandit to the seat of Melbourne. Thankyou Mr Tanner.

He’s been a director of the Suncorp Group since January 2018 — that’s insurance, finance and banking. He’s also a director of at least one other financial organisation.

His carreer in finance is interesting, seeing he read law-arts at Uni; he graduated in 1981; in 1985 he became an articled clerk at Holding Redlich, which is unusual, because doing articles was always the alternative way into law, for those who hadn’t been to Uni. That’s the firm that was founded by Clyde Holding, whom my late sister worked for tirelessly in Melbourne Ports.

I’ve always found it hard to get a handle on Tanner — the idea of a Labor Left member turned bank director makes me uneasy.

1 Like

He was a scholarship boy from Orbost. I think that, at the time he graduated, Law graduates had to do a year of Articles to be admitted to practice.
I had my suspicions that he might have been leaking against Gillard, but others who were better informed discounted that.

1 Like

Lindsay is about the most loyal political bloke I know. He and Julia were not close, but he has never said a bad word about her. Has always been a quiet achiever; the question is would we rather have a President who is always in the headlines.

No idea what he does or if he’s any good at it. Anyone closer to the club have an opinion?

If only there was some way we could know if the people in the seat of Melbourne are happy with how this “Bandit” fellow has performed as their elected representative…

I mean, it’s not like in the last three federal elections held in 2010, 2013 and 2016 he received Primary votes of 36.17%, 42.62% and 43.75%, with swings toward him of 13.37%, 7.03% and 1.13% in what was a Labor stronghold for more than a century

I guess we’ll never know if his electorate are happier with their representation since Labor was deposed…

Not too many working class left in that seat with gentrification

1 Like

This is true. Where do you stand on Labor’s current level of commitment to the working class?

Could be handy to have him on board when Labor get in and we want funding.

To my mind looking for government handouts, be they from labor or coalition, is a bad thing. The club has lost its independence. We used to have our own website while the AFL ran a parallel one. Then we caved in and gave up ours when Evans was chairman (I think). Essendon is now merely an AFL franchise and does not act in its own interests but looks to the AFL CEO and board for reassurance. Tanner has done nothing to change that situation.

1 Like