List build - where are we going in the next 10,000 posts?

That’s too easy.
The strength and conditioning leader.
Then the development coach.
We’ll eventually dial back around and complain about Mary from accounts as well as Jane at reception.

1 Like

Ohh, good, we can have 1000 posts theorising about spreadsheets again.

Yeah I do, i can see the plan. It started in 2020 and it still has a few years to go. But it won’t be successful if most of the young elite high end draft picks dont work out

not looking great at the moment then…

5 Likes

I reckon we’ve had a plan from 2019 onwards for sure. We cut mature depth like Hartley and Brown. Since then we’ve gone to every draft; picked talls in 19,20 then mids in 21,22.

We’re onto our 3rd coach since 2019.
Is that a plan?

I’m talking list build. I also didn’t say the plan is going well.

Ah, “over-arching” was my attempt to clarify that.

I don’t.

I think disco’s reasonably competent at getting a good result out of whatever’s in front of him, but I don’t think he’s ever had (and perhaps isn’t capable of) a plan.
We had a direction in 2018, the club threw that out in 2019 because Richmond, then shoved Rutten forward, Rutten’s messaging was totally at odds to the reality of the list and the decisions he was making and he didn’t last. Scott’s messaging and decisions seem more akin to Worsfold’s.
it’s all just absolutely incoherent.
Lists are built with some sort of a plan, over 3 to 5 years. Plans conceived and signed off at a high level, based on a fundamental understanding of where the list is at, how the game’s evolving, and then those plans are handed down to the CEO, coach and list manager to execute.

I don’t think we’ve had that. So we wobble along, a little bit up one year, a little bit down the next.

4 Likes

Long term plans are also really hard for supporters to view calmly after four losses in a row.

Reckon list management discussions will sound pretty different once we get some of our younger players on the park and the fixture softens in the second half of the season

And no, I’m not suggesting out list management is hunky-dory.

3 Likes

I think to be fair, you’d have to say there are plenty of supporters on blitz who have been negative on our list build consistently for years. After four losses in a row, after four wins in a row, finishing 15th, finishing 8th.

No doubt some are just pessimists, and will be saying it right up until the moment the final siren sounds on Grand Final day. But for the people who’ve been consistently sceptical for a decade plus (I can’t say that’s me, I’m more 2017 vintage) through the lows and the not very highs, it’s a touch condescending to say they’re just not viewing it calmly because we’ve had a few losses in a row.

5 Likes

anyone think quick win fc has a plan longer than this season?

The issue is that people look at the drafts and say, we selected the best player available. The better clubs will look at the draft and say, the best player available is a player we already have a lot of, so let’s trade out of this draft or trade up!

4 Likes

Yep and then they say it’s not Dodos fault the draft was poor.

2 Likes

Both of which scenarios can be true.

I’m negative on the list build but really I think the problems are - and always have been - further up the chain.

If we sack disco, I don’t think anything will really change (other than being better friends with McCartney at the trade table).
But then, I didn’t think sacking X would solve any significant issues, I didn’t think sacking Worsfold would solve any issues, etc.

Apart from having a completely set of different eyes on the talent pool and a totally different drafting philosophy and list makeup ideas.

4 Likes

Disco or RFK?

But my point was it will change some of the smaller aspects - we’ll do better at some things, probably worse at others - it won’t change the overall direction.

Complete new talent ID, recruiting and list management team. We are light years behind the rest of the comp in this regard

1 Like

I think most people believe that list management is ‘pick the players you like, and let the coach deal with the rest’.

How or why would anyone pick players for a particular coach or game plan at Essendon?

Would you pick them for the coach that’s there when drafted, tbe coach you expect to be there when they break into the seniors or the coach when they hit their peak at ~100 games?

I think what you’ve said is what is happening - there’s no other option. There’s zero evidence of any sort of plan.

1 Like