List build - where are we going in the next 10,000 posts?

Isn’t that why you have a list manager though? You need someone how has a longer-term view on the list, rather than a coach who’s incentives are always short-term

4 Likes

Well, yes.
And that’s what I think he has done - created lists that are sorta kinda OK, but aren’t actually great for any one particular coach or gameplan. EDIT: or ‘window’, perhaps just as important.

1 Like

We need a new list manager that can educate the board. Having Dodo telling the board everything is smelling like roses is part of the problem.

1 Like

I like it how HAP always acts like he really knows what is wrong, and never shares it…

Worsfold was criticised for his game plan in 2017, but that was the only time in recent memory I can think of our list having clear strengths, with a game plan designed to maximise them

I agree with you that we have constantly changed plans ever since. But I also criticise Dodoro for his list management calls post 2017. He didn’t address any weaknesses, and still arguably hasn’t

Club needs a whole board spill.

Board pick themselves and have done for 25, maybe 30 years.
No accountability, no transparency, terrible performance.

Everything follows from there.

They would just be replaced with more ■■■■.

a board spill wouldn’t work.

as soon as former player a, b, c, or d puts their hand up the idiots will vote that guy

5 Likes

VotE 4 ShEEDZZz.

I’d argue he has, but it’s been swapping one sort of issues for another.

Eg the Hird list/22 (which was roughly the same until 2017) used to be a big slow midfield who won lots of clearances but couldn’t run or defend. We rejigged with Dev and Zerrett and Shiel, a lot better runners but not as strong over the clearance.
There’s a few other examples of similar, too.

In my view, it’s total talent and ability level that’s the issue. Focusing on fixing a weakness here or there is missing the point, IMO - we’re not a great side with one flaw holding us back.
We haven’t got the total, overall talent.

And - until we actually have a plan and commitment to aggressively access the top end of the draft, which needs to be from the top down - nothing will change. At least not significantly.

2 Likes

HiRd FoR PrEzIdEnT

1 Like

As opposed to now, where it’s only 9 idiots (with a few hundred proxies each) who do all the voting?

On a scale of 1-10 how well would you say it’s working?

idk about as well as your suggestions i guess

No list build works if you can’t get your players out on the park.

Fix the medical department, which will allow us to develop our young talent properly, and then we can finally make some informed decisions about what players we need (and how far away we are from challenging).

Crows are having a dream run this year & look at ‘em go.

The top 6 from their B&F have played every game except for Fogarty, who’s missed just 2 weeks.

For comparison, our top 6 last year were:

• Wright
  • Merrett
  • Guelfi
  • Redman
  • Ridley
  • Laverde

That’s 31 out of a possible 54 games (57%) from our top 6 last year, compared with the Crows who’ve had 96% availability from the same group.

Throw in injuries to Parish, Reid, Cox, Jones, Stewart, Tsatas, etc (plus Hobbs, Bryan & others earlier on) and suddenly our depth (& our ability to properly develop our young talent) is in real strife.

Is that down to list build? Partly yes, of course.

But far out, fixing the fkn medical department should’ve already been an urgent priority for us - especially given we’ve had several reviews over the past few years, highlighting just how poor we’ve been in this area.

Good luck luring across key players via trade/FA if we can’t even get our own players on the park - this stuff has a huge impact on our ability to build a list that can challenge.

I’m all for turfing Dodoro btw, I just don’t think it’ll get us anywhere if we don’t improve our medical/fitness teams. Need to do both.

9 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

How much bette off would we be with a full fit list? Maybe a game or two better?

S&C certainly seems like it’s been about the worst performing aspect for years, purely on numbers. But probably informed by player age as well, 19 and 20 year olds don’t cope with huge amounts of training. Which goes back to list mgmt and overall direction.

Playing West Coast, North Melbourne and to a lesser extent GWS twice is going to serve no other purpose than to worsen our draft hand in a strong draft while we are still in genuine need of layering in quality young talent.

It would have an even more pronounced effect if Parish left as well.

Could have been the difference between having picks 9&10 rather than 5&6.

That part of the ladder between say 9th and 15th is going to be fairly tightly condensed with smallish margins separating ladder positions.

Note: The only thing to add is that when we play West Coast the second time, everyone on their injury list, besides Culley will allegedly be back by then. Bar perhaps Jamie Cripps which could be 50/50.
So maybe that game mightn’t be a foregone conclusion. Although, it’s late in the season and the Eagles could actively be trying to avoid winning at that stage. Oh, and it’s in Melbourne.

Draft picks mean nothing when you have someone like Dodoro at the helm.

3 Likes

It certainly doesn’t help. Maybe he and RFK are due to fluke one though. Not out of any shrewdness or through having an astute eye for talent but just out of dumb luck.

We also play Pies, Cats and Power twice. Everyone forgets to mention that. So 3 bottom 6 sides and 3 top 6 sides. We just don’t get the middle 6 as double ups. Pretty even result I think. Maybe we get slightly more % as North and Eagles should be easy wins