List build - where are we going in the next 10,000 posts?

On Merrett, the numbers might be something like this: Guesstimate 6 players per side eligible as midfielders with at least 6 games played. Thatā€™s 108 players across the league. CD define elite as top 10%. So, 11 players are elite mids. Pretty high bar.

How is 2MP rated an A without having played a game?

Hind has been better than a C when compared to others that are a C.

Jones is 196cm. But fundamentally, I still donā€™t see an issue. If you want a number of those players in 2025 onwards, you needed to draft them across 2019-2021. What youā€™re describing as an issue simply sounds like impatience to me.

Now, if the argument is that your S&C team simply canā€™t handle anyone over 195cm, thatā€™s a fundamentally different issue. And can only be solved by either only recruiting older players with question marks, spending heaps of draft coin on quality trades, or replacing the S&C team.

1 Like

We wanted them to come on 21/22 at the end of Hooker and Hurleys career. Waiting to 2025 isnt being patient, itā€™s accepting we had an inadequate list for a few years.

Hind is safe on multiple levels. Heā€™s playing good footy in the best 22 and is contracted. Even if not contracted I think heā€™d be a certainty to get another one.

I think unless some players (either core 22 or fringe) ask for trades, we will go with a small number of changes. Possibly as small as the minimum (remembering if Hunter stays he takes a list spot and Baldwin must be promoted). The reality is, weā€™re going to have 2 good draft picks. So, unless we lure a FA, the players who are being delisted/retired after the first 2-3 are gone have to be only better candidates than a later pick to justify staying.

Also, if Phillips is one of the ones leaving, weā€™ll almost certainly take another ruck as back-up.

Obviously, if a free-agent, Bryan, or someone else asks for a trade it changes the calculus a lot.

1 Like

Well, given Hurley has just turned 33 (on 1 June) and at the start of 2020 we had JD, they probably thought two of those positions would be fine. We may also have been counting on Francis and/or Stewart. Then JD left, Francis looked poorer, Stewart couldnā€™t get on the park, and we decided to rebuild the spine.

And the assumption is that although theyā€™d be ā€˜readyā€™ in 2025, that theyā€™d contribute before then as they progressed.

1 Like

I would be interested to see how Hunter goes in the ruck at VFL level.
If phillips goes, expect we get another younger guy to develop. would even try and cover for this through the Cat B list.
Get the tallest guy in the NTFL. or a failed college basketballer or get someone to witch from NBL like Brogan did. or a Rugby player convert like Mike Pyke.

If Bryan signs up for several years, we might very well go with a younger option to replace Phillips as Bryan is almost ready as back-up now. That said though, you wouldnā€™t want anything to happen to Draper and Bryan to be first ruck next year. Although, the same can be said about Phillipsā€¦

I would be ok with bryan to be first ruck.
but if Bryan and Draper injured, then were likely playing peter Wright in the ruck or REID or COX and that is not ideal.

1 Like

If your main ruckman is young and has a heap of football ahead of him I would rather just get a solid jobber from another club for ruck depth rather than getting some skinny 18 year old kid who mightnā€™t even make it but if they do itā€™ll take multiple years for him to be even ready to play a role.

Thatā€™s not a philosophy I have across the board in other positions, just with rucks in this type of situation. Draper is only 24 still.

If Phillips finishes up just get someone like Matt Flynn from GWS who could do a job if needed for a few weeks.

3 Likes

Although Phillips has the occasional bad game, he has some very important good games helping us to wins. He should be given another year. That said and done, we need to make sure that our back-up ruckman, ie Bryan steps up to be able to permanently replace him and become our new ā€œBarnesā€.

He may be given another year, and Iā€™m not against that. As Iā€™ve said, if he goes weā€™d just need to replace him with another ruck (young or a jobber) anyway. But we had to talk him out of retiring last year, so who knows if heā€™ll continue on.

1 Like

Donā€™t know where this has come from?

I know that was the Luenburger situation but never heard that about Phillips

A few ā€œin the knowsā€ said it on Blitz. Iā€™ve no insider knowledge myself.

Well I doubt that was right.

Seems motivated to play as long as he can (I know Tassie quote was a joke) but no hint that retirement is on the cards

Phillips, who will turn 32 later this year, is now the oldest player on Essendonā€™s regenerating list. He has a newfound sense of comfort in his constant stream of one-year extensions, understanding he will never have the long-term security of guys like Draper. But the fire to play on still burns.

ā€œHeā€™s holding on until Tassie gets a team,ā€ Draper laughs.

ā€œYep. Iā€™ll hang on until 2027,ā€ Phillips replies.

1 Like

As far as the list build goes, Iā€™d quite like to see a plan where we bring in 1-2 draftees and a good FA in 2023, and then trade out picks for players (or FA) in 2024 and 2025.

Melbourne recruited May, Lever, Brown, Langdon to win their premiership.
Geelong recruited Danger, Cameron, Tuohy and Smith to win theirs.
Richmond recruited Prestia, Nank, Caddy to get theirs.

I think 3 quality players across 3 seasons + a 2023 R1, with more development, and this team is good enough to challenge. Finding the right players and convincing them to come, keeping our current talent, developing our talent and most importantly keeping players on the park are the steps required. Those are big challenges.

6 Likes

Your not doing it right the list is crap and we have no talent Hawks and North will go past us etc

Have to put the question, given Heppellā€™s current form does he, should he get a 2024 contract? I think we just have to accept if he does that like 2021-2023 heā€™ll start the year slowly and then work his way into form. Been a consistent pattern these last three years.

Of course, if he does stay it puts even more pressure on list spots.

1 Like

You also have to wonder if Hunter does well in the VFL whether Voss decides to look for opportunities elsewhere.