List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

really? id rather we got a quality kid through the door then. no question about Pattons talent, its just whether he can stay on the park…

2 Likes

Yep it’s one of those really risky trades. Hawthorn are into him. If they get him and he plays 22 games next year people will curse Dodoro for not taking the risk. I guess it depends on what prospects are in the draft. We need another big fella in the forward line to either compliment Joey or cover for him. I don’t think i’d go after somebody that’s done 3 ACL’s.

1 Like

It’s about who we rate more. Shaun McKernan or Jono Patton. Their career stats are remarkably similar with Patton playing more games. The statically differences is that Patton averages more marks and goals per game.

Is Patton worth McKernan plus what ever we will have to give up?
For me if its a second rounder or higher unfortunately not.

1 Like

You’d think Smack would be heaps older but Patton is actually 26 (and had 3 recos’s) and Smack 28, turns 29 in sept

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, also I should clarify, I don’t think that Smack will be involved in any trade for Patton but I don’t think they would both work in the same forward line, so it would be one or the other.

Think I’d rather just retain Smack and try to find another younger trade target or just hit draft

6 Likes

I would have thought a Patton trade would involve taking on his expensive salary (he has one more year to go) while giving up very little in the way of picks.

This does not feel like the kind of trade that Essendon is really positioned to take on (due to our salary cap).

4 Likes

Yep. We need to think left of field - the 4 S’s were good trades but, I’m guessing, it didn’t leave much room in the cap. I like Shiel, but our next pick is 33 now, so not much to trade in the way of picks - reckon we will be hanging onto that for the draft anyhow, after being out of the early-ish rounds for a few years. It’ll be interesting to see how the Shiel acquisition will be seen in years to come.

The good news is, talls were picked up last year - Roughead, Preuss, Thurlow - relatively cheaply.

If GWS are happy to let him go then we don’t want him. I can’t think of a deal they’ve lost out on.

Career average comparison with Smack not really fair for what it’s worth. Patton has at least put together two very decent seasons, Smack yet to manage one.

1 Like

Patton is definitely in another class. I think the risk is a touch too high though.

They’ve lost on a few coming in, but you’re right, hard to nail down too many going out. Probably some of the fringe guys who’ve come good (Steele, Bruce?) and maybe Smith. The guys of top quality they’ve lost, they usually got good value for. Scully could bite them.

1 Like

I disagree about paying a 2nd rounder for him. He’s 26 already and is this his second or 3rd knee reco?
I wouldn’t be paying anything more than a 3rd rounder.

If the Hawks are interested, you can bet your bottom dollar they won’t be paying a 2nd rounder.

2 Likes

It depends on what his salary is. If it’s high then the trade value wont be as much. They’ll be happy to get him off the books like Scully. The Hawks got him for a 4th rounder but absorbed his massive salary. I don’t think Patton would be on a huge salary though.

I often look at our injury list and think we need a few more big names on there.

4 Likes

from memory he is. on 750k+

bulldogs at one point were offering 900k before he did another knee

1 Like

Yeah would be big.

We need an endurance contested pack marking forward.
If patton fits that bill and you can keep him fit , get him.

If h3 isnt a pack contested marker, theres no point.

Jeremy Cameron and Ben Brown aren’t available

1 Like

■■■■■■ hell. Guessing he’ll be staying at GWS then. No club in their right mind would pay that much for somebody with his history.