List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

If Joe leaves id be keeping Laverde… I know he’s not a replacement but he’s starting to look like a forward and we need someone remotely close to that right now.

What’s the thoughts on Jamie Elliott ? Love him running amok in our forward line… any chance for papley ? We are gonna need something… would we enter the Patron race now or has that horse run it’s race ?

Elliott and Papley are not really replacements for Joe as a tall forward, they are both small forwards. As we have Fantasia, Walla, Mo22ie who all play that role it might not be what we need. That’s not saying we shouldn’t get them if the price and availablity is right, just that they do not fill the need we have.

1 Like

Do people have some inside information on these players moving, or are they just throwing random names out? Sounds more like fantasy football than the real stuff.

1 Like

Elliott will be squeezed out of the list due to salary cap especially if they’re going overs for Grundy… though he’s a superstar and they’d surely pay him overs and more to keep him…

Papley … not sure what the story is but his name is thrown around … so why not throw it here too…

With Daniher and Fantasia both potentially on their way out and with Smack and Brown approaching the end of the careers we are, once again, going to need to rebuild our forward line

Fort & Buzza from Geelong
Keays from Lions
Snelling as Fantasia replacement.

I dunno really, just came back from the Daniher thread so I’m not thinking straight & I might of caught something.ll

1 Like

we could beat Carlton and get Betts lol.

umm, Daniher goes Dodoro needs to pinch a tall forward from another club or we are screwed.
You hope Stewart and Gown come on next year.

Maybe Hooker plays forward, but we still neeed a big gorilla key defender.

No thanks. I like Eddie, but he is Oldy McOlderton from Oldsville. he would have to be cheap, and i think Fark Carlton will outbid us for a favourite son coming home

1 Like

Eddie was a joke.

Fort and Buzza aren’t much good. And Snelling is far from being a Fantasia replacement.

We need to hit the draft this year pick up guys like Pickett, Riccardi and Sokol mid-draft and whilst they won’t be stars, they’ll be able to reliably contribute to a decent forward system.

With whatever picks we get for Daniher we need to hope we get lucky and some quality mid/forwards are still available at those picks; Flanders, Serong and even Kemp fit the fill but all should be top 5 picks, although all 3 could be available from 5-10.

Weightman, Taylor, Taheny and Williams are guys who are in the next tier who should fall between 5-25.

Fantasia needs a good 2020 (a full preseason would have been nice) so that his trade value is high when(if) he decides to leave. And end of next year we need to target King with picks and Cameron with cap space and “make them both an offer they can’t refuse”

A D A M T I P U N G W U T I
D
A
M

T
I
P
U
N
G
W
U
T
I

4 Likes

so we are spot on for age profile, but down on “key stats”

How does the age and games played stack up?
It couldn’t get much closer to premiership standard over the last decade. The average age of Essendon’s squad (23.4 years) is almost identical to the average age of the last 10 premiers (23.6 years), while its average games played (66.0) is just a tick under the average of the last 10 flag winners (66.1).

Do they have enough quality?
As is the case with almost every side in the League, Essendon could use a little more quality. The Bombers have just three players classified by Champion Data as ‘elite’ on their list, with six teams across the competition having more.

What do the numbers say about the way they play?
This is the worry. For its near-perfect age profile, Essendon ranks incredibly low in a number of key statistical indicators for premiership success over the last decade. It must improve significantly in points against (ranked 12th), post-clearance groundball gets (15th), points from forward-half turnovers (15th) and inside 50 differential (14th).

Is their premiership window open?
Essendon’s age profile would say yes, but its ranking in key statistical indicators would say no. The Bombers face an interesting couple of years to see if they can profit from their list position. – Riley Beveridge

2 Likes

Tippa 2 better be at Essendon next year, either as a rookie (catA or B) or as a VFL player.

I’d love seeing us give a bunch of the NT Thunder guys a VFL spot - Imagine seeing Jabba, Ross Tungatalum and Jason Puruntatamirri at Windy Hill. Ankers is another guy I’d bring down for the season.

1 Like

2 Likes

Bit pointless doing list analysis like this, a few weeks before the delistings and free agency and trade week all kicks off.

We could cut hard or we could recruit experience hard and change that picture significantly.

2 Likes

Or we could do both.

And most importantly: Finals Won in the past 15 years = 0 @ an average losing margin of 58 never playing back-to-back finals series.

And from memory the Average age of a clubs list varies by about 8 months across all clubs, every year.
No wonder all the Premiership sides fit into that statistically.

Where you get more variables, and more interesting numbers, is looking at the average age & games played of the regularly chosen Best 25 or so. Along with the numbers in various age cohorts.
This is what distinguishes a young development side from an older “hanging in there “ side.
It eliminates the variables of older players who are mentoring the Twos- Myers & Bags - and an experienced side who’s padded their list with a pile of kids, for financial reasons, expecting to churn most of them.

Didn’t Hird or someone do an analysis of actual Premiership sides, with the keys being enough guys with over 100 games, and a team average of 80 or so games? Start of this year?
Something like that - sorry if the numbers are wrong, but I do remember that was one of the reasons we were looking at two to three years to hit that number, and be in peak window.

3 Likes

Room for improvement then?

1 Like

especially if they do a before and after

1 Like