List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Begley. Super bullish on him.
But that’s in 2-3 years
Not quite up to AFL running yet, and will need a year running around fwd line before he’s ready for much midfield time.

1 Like

Well, all five of our national draft picks last year are meant to be midfield candidates. And we’ve seen Fantasia and Walla spending more time there as the season progresses. McKenna may also move up in the future, although I think that is less likely. I would also deem Laverde unlikely, but know some on Blitz rate his midfield potential.

Our defence actually has some major issues IMO. Not that I wouldn’t be focusing on midfield first (I would), but I do think its an area we need to address.

Why on earth would you get rid of Brown? We have 4 KPDs, and currently 2 are injured. This shows that you need depth. Brown isn’t a spring chicken, but he isn’t old yet either.

I would also keep Howlett unless we trade in players (need someone older who can act as depth) and I still rate Dea so would be keeping him around.

Myers is contracted so unless someone is willing to trade for him, he won’t be going anywhere.

I would say from the senior list its hard to see any of Stanton, Hocking, Bird, Jerrett or Morgan surviving, but I’m not sure if anyone else will go unless others of the older players (Kelly, Goddard, Watson) decide to pull the plug. Given this may not be the deepest draft going around, that may not be a problem.

2 Likes

Franga if he can build an engine. Clarke if he can clean up his disposal. Mutch looks likely from reports. But yeah, slim pickings overall. Mids mids mids next draft.

He’s a bit of a ■■■■…

1 Like

i think this is a bit disingenuous, hardly any except mutch and clarke have played many midfield minutes at top level (TAC/U18)

Mcgrath is possible, but, is not an out and out midfielder. spent a bit too much time down back for comfort (IMO)
Begley, a very natural forward.
Ridley, HBF/intercept
Mutch, good mix of inside and outside but only seems to be used outside at vfl.
Clarke, inside mid but is majorly flawed. makes disposing of the ball look physically painful.

1 Like

I still cant get a handle on the rude word filter

Just avoid anything an American would be offended by… ■■■■, ■■■■, ■■■■, Hillary

3 Likes

Begley played midfield towards end of his 18s year. Not much of a stretch.

No, it isn’t disingenuous, its accurate. Begley played more time midfield than forward at TAC level. Most of his forward time was spent at the level below TAC, before he got there. His team shoved him into the midfield relatively quickly - its why his goals per game dropped from stratospheric to minimal (forward to midfield switch). McGrath was often in the midfield at TAC and in the school footy. He was rated based on his ability there. He got lots and lots of clearances. Do people really think the guy who was a consensus pick #1 or #2 was only viewed as a back pocket??? Ridley played midfield as well, albeit less than other positions.

I swear, based on current views it is quite clear that Rockliff, Hird, Zorko, Watson should never have been classified as midfielders as they all played their U18 footy in the forward line. Those guys didn’t play as many midfield minutes as any of our 2016 national draft picks.

I’ve never got why only playing midfield is better than being able to play two or more spots.
Some on here would seemingly rate Clarke over McGrath because he only ever played mid at U18s whereas McGrath played everywhere. And unsurprisingly the first thing they did with clarke when he got to the club was play him HFF and wing in the VFL so he could round out his game. Beats me

3 Likes

Anyway, basically any small who’s really good ends up playing through midfield.
For eg Raz Tippa play midfield minutes - Josh Green does not.

As for our recent draftees. Can’t see Ridley playing mid. Begley will, eventually. McGrath will as soon as Woosh pulls the lever. Mutch and Clarke will, if they make it anywhere.

1 Like

Diet (test)

2 Likes

Yep, why would you want Enright, Gray, Burgoyne or Chappy if there not pure mids there no good.

Hell look at Sydney, Parker, Mills and Heeney all started as flankers doesn’t mean there not gun midfielders.

1 Like

Free health care
Progressive tax systems
Central American democracy

Nup nup nup.

1 Like

Parker played forward, Kieran jack started as a back pocket and tagger, Z Jones has moved into midfield from his start at half back

You’d rather a good player in the wrong position than a dud in the right position.

2 Likes

Blacklivesmatter

nup

■■■■■ pack

I’m now thoroughly confused…

Should be renamed " Smash the Poster" thread. It’s why some of us read more than post.

1 Like

Shut up, Fozdog

5 Likes