List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Hurley was meant to play forward this year. I would have given him 70 goals but I assume we will rest him every 2nd game to give his hip recovery time.
Smiths goals weren’t a typo

Need a mature body replacement for Hooker on the forward line. Hurley has a long way to go to fill that void regrettably. Unless Stewart is shifted there and maybe ok.
I think that’s why we went after Chol.

Chol isn’t a key position forward. He’s a ruck who plays a bit forward.

Yes he can ruck
And he can play forward
Have you seen some of the goals he has kicked?

He kicks a lot of his goals from following the ruck contest forward, rather than from starting forward.

Haha, but you’re missing the point. Cox’s unique talents would be wasted as a CHF. Firstly he doesn’t have the physique and secondly, he is a mobile D50 to F50 running machine with the height to be a kick out target and the pace to break lines and go forward to score. None of the players you mentioned had those attributes.

Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Merrett, Caldwell, Langford, Stringer, Perkins, Cox, Durham, Snelling, Ham. I think we have got the midfield covered.

No, you’re just annoyed another of your generalisations was shown up.
Cox does have the physique?
At 19 - der.
And while I may have exaggerated for effect Nick Riewoldt certainly had those attributes.
Pavlich arguably.
And I’ll raise you a Matthew Richardson.

Just because you’re concerned about possible future key forwards- fair enough- remember it’s a lot more interesting to think about what a player like Cox might become.
More than an oversized winger is my bet.

2 Likes

If cox puts on 10-15kegs he’s gonna be a monster more than capable of a key post.

1 Like

Nik Cox will be the next Adam Goodes

5 Likes

Fark I hope not. Goodes could play footy, but was a sniper and a whinger.

2 Likes

Whinger for some, leader and role model for others.

Would be thrilled if Cox is half the player Goodes was.

6 Likes

Look, we’ll both be coming back to BB for years so let’s just make a friendly wager. I bet Cox will never play as a permanent Key Forward. he will be utilised as a freak on baller….height of a ruckman, mobility of a rover.

One comes to mind, albeit it with 46 and not 50, and we just lost him from our forward line.

What Goodes does off field is not relevant.

On field he was a high quality player, but in my view after watching his whole career, he had serious flaws in his footy character. Never once saw James Hird or Jobe Watson snipe or duck their head, never once saw either of these two champions of Essendon play for free kicks.

If Nik Cox can emulate their efforts, and not Goodes, we will be far happier.

6 Likes

Cox will neither be as good a player nor as big a jerk.

The depth in our best 22 is finally sufficient. I’ve been waiting 20 years to be able to say that.

But you just need to look at our VFL non existent midfield to know, we most certainly do not have the overall midfield depth of our list sorted

1 Like

I saw Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd dive a lot.

I have a very selective memory

You can’t know that yet on your first point, and no-one was a bigger jerk than Goodes on the field.

1 Like