List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Orazio has more X factor that an adult book shop.

But I agree with the rest of your post. A fit Francis in finals is an exciting prospect.

4 Likes

Iā€™m cocked back ready to bang on them for frang to launch one from 60m out.

1 Like

Young guys to target that id like to see in Black and Red.

Will Setterfield - GWS may need picks for academy selections. Jobe Replacement
Petrevski-Seton - looks like a gun, could save him from the Blues
Jy Simpkin Huge dons fans and prolly wants to get out of North.

Free agency. - Have to look at Fyfe
Im worried about Dusty offield.
Rockliff - Jobe repalcement - if myers perenially injured, though dont wanna pay too much for him.
Kreuzer - could solve Ruck problems if Belly /Leuy are unreliable.
Josh Kennedy - could send Hooker back to defence then.

Really only interested in Fyfe, cant see Kennedy leaving.

Trading - Howlett/Bird for more opportunities. Maybe Myers.
Retirements - Kelly.
Delistments - Potentially J Merrett
In Limbo - Hocking needs to get some AFL games soon, Redman, Morgan, Long all need to get some good form or may also be on the chopping block.
IMO Goddard, Stanton, Watson looks good for another season it will be their decision.
Baguley has improved since JLT, think will at least get another season.

1 Like

Does anyone think playing the same team every week, until a whole bunch of them break down at the same time works?? As much as I love winning ANZAC day and losing the return leg by 70 points, I wanna see what happens if we donā€™t do that.
Round 15 or 20 debuts for kids are far too often a necessity not a choice - and far too often they struggle in broken down sides getting badly beaten.

Proactive. Not reactive. Name of the game.

4 Likes

Huh? The most successful teams usually have limited turnover during the year.

2 Likes

Fixed

2 Likes

properly fixed

3 Likes

Look at that not-very-speculative 2019 side I posted. we actually donā€™t have to make all that many changes to our direction, to put a fair bit more emphasis on development. Weā€™ve got maybe 17 spots looking pretty OK. But scratch the surface and thereā€™s a fair bit of, politely, mid career mid level vanilla on the list. Itā€™s those guys that are the problem. Theyā€™re yesterdayā€™s footsoldiers with (in many cases) Hirdā€™s preferred skillsets, tough nuggety inside ball players.

As for derailingā€¦ LOL.

Iā€™m waiting until late July to form a view on how good we really are, which informs list management decisions. It takes 16-18 rounds every year for the vagaries of the draw to be washed through and for every club to have a clear understanding of where theyā€™re at.

I do think the competition now is as even as itā€™s been in about 15 years, though. Since 2001, at least one of four teams (Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn) featured in the grand final every single year bar one (2010) - thatā€™s pretty incredible in the context of what is supposedly a communist, level playing field (albeit two of those dominant teams, namely Brisbane and Sydney, came about directly as a result of AFL intervention). I donā€™t think the next 10-15 years will see the same cycle where 3-4 teams dominate in the same way as has been the case for the last 10-15 years, so thereā€™ll be more opportunity for sides to bob up and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  a premiership like the Dogs did last year.

2 Likes

I know the NEAFL is weak, but Setterfiled had 33 and kicked 3 goals on the weekend.
A bombers supporter, heā€™d be a great get. Hopefully he struggles to break into the team

2 Likes

Thatā€™s effect, not cause. Carlton could play the same 22 ā– ā– ā– ā–  trucks and theyā€™d still be ā– ā– ā– ā–  trucks.

Good sides donā€™t settle for average.

Look at the Dogs, blooded tons of kids in the 3-4 years prior to their flag - as weā€™ve rightly started to do. That meant they didnā€™t have to keep turning to guys like Dylan Addison and Ayce Cordy, and eventually they got to the point they could get rid of Griffen and Cooney et al without it hurting them. Weā€™ve started along the right path. We canā€™t slow down now.

The difference between Dogs then and us is we think we can contend in the now. Woosh said he thought we had a top 4 squad when he took over.

So the 22 each week will be based on winning games of footy in the now.

And if we push deep into September with this squad and the older players are a big part of that successful season I expect so long as they are performing theyā€™d go around again.

Then, like every year, whatever weaknesses we need to address are at years end in order to strengthen the chances of a flag in 2018ā€¦ but with an eye on future as well.

Everyone actively pressing for more kids (than we already are) being played clearly doesnā€™t think we are a chance in 17/18.

And they also discounting the value of VFL footy for development. Ablett, Bartel, SJ and co all won a VFL flag leading into their successful AFL years.

1 Like

Yep. Great point.
I really worry that some at the club might even believe it.

I said make them earn senior spots, not wait until the list has fallen apart at the end of the year. Thatā€™s more of a straw man argument than the accusations earlier in the thread.

Hallaluja.

Is anyone else a little worried about a KP depth?
Outside of Francis and Drapper who else do we have?

Stewart
Brown
Bellchambers
& Dea as undersized kpd

Yes, but those aside - whereā€™s the depth?

5 Likes

Under no circumstances can you regard TBC as a KP. Maybe as a one-off.

Pretty sure ruck is a key position.

And outside of that he can play as fwd/ruck if Hooker had to be sent back in desperation. JD CHF

1 Like