List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Remember how everyone in here was calling Pig a spud last year?
Ok, maybe not everyone.

1 Like

Thatā€™s just a lesson in not trading while going through something as catastrophic as the saga (or rather, not getting yourself into it in the first place) and managing your list better.

Both Ryder and Pig are on track for All Australian squad.

Farking stings

1 Like

With Carlisle, Ryder and pig in our team this year weā€™d be a top 4 chance.

3 Likes

None of them are elite midfielders so unfortunately I have to disagree.

You can give us all the rucks, key backs and half backs in the world, but they wouldnā€™t fix what has cost us all the games we have lost this year.

Even if they were still with us, theyā€™d still be fumbling balls in 10 metres of space, dropping uncontested marks and blindly hacking the ball forward at every opportunity. Because theyā€™d still be Essendon players and theyā€™d still have the same tendencies that they had before they left which was being consistently inconsistent.

2 Likes

No idea if there is any truth to this, but I was told that we are making a strong play for Mitch Wallis. May amount to nothing, but I think heā€™d be a good acquisition if we donā€™t have to pay overs.

2 Likes

Between picking up Franga, Langford, Draper and Begley, the pain may not last too long. Especially if Begleyā€™s develops into a midfield beast as well as a dangerous forward.

Pick 4 from GWS for Paddy and a player like De Goey in the side we may be feeling less pain already, although if we had gone for Jarrod Pickett like GWS did, we are probably better off with Langford.

Also if Langford progresses and can potentially rotate with Begley between the guts and forward, the sun could positively be shining, although this is still more potential than actual (obviously). The value of having made these reluctant trades should be much clearer by 2019.

Paddy will probably haunt us for another 3 or so years though.

1 Like

Last year quality KPP was exactly what this draft was supposed to be full of. Now they are saying next years draft has quality KPP.

FWIW, according to some pundits, Sutherland was the best KPP prospect this yearā€¦then he chose cricket.

But thatā€™s only one player lost.

He hasnā€™t been lostā€¦ just setting himself up for the Rookie B list to his club of choice.

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m saying this.
We need to look at Richmond to get an understanding of what needs to happen for us to move into the top 4.

Recruit 2 solid/top quality midfielders.
I donā€™t agree with selling the farm for one player, regardless of how great he is or will be.

2 midfielders who rack up 25-30 quality disposals beats a superstar imo. This will move us from sitting around 7-10th for the next 5 years to top 4 in 2018. Bringing in 2 players that fit into our current dynamic, rather than changing the dynamic to suit a Kelly, Martin or Fyfe. Otherwise we are going to be another Chris Judd & Carlton.

4 Likes

Like it.

Contested bull who is a serious ball winner

And definitely runs both ways.

Iā€™d be surprised if he left the Dogs though.
Even more surprised if it didnā€™t cost more than our first round pick.

Maybe it gets tied into a Goldstein trade?
Goldstein to Dogs, Wallis to Essendon, Hartley (or Ambrose) to Dogs, our first round goes to North.
Doesnā€™t quite stack up.

Collingwood
Just wait until Eddie gives him a Melbourne Stars contract this year

How? He isnā€™t even being selected for them at present. Was omitted for weekends game. Also coming off a serious injury 1st year back.

Opportunity to get him for unders and back him returning to form. His first game back for this year lost injury was huge IIRC.

2 Likes

Target:
Jack Billings & Luke Parker
Dylan Shiel & Tom Rockliff
Dan Hannebery & Lachie Neale.

I think youā€™re significantly reaching several times. There is no logical reason to include Ambrose, Morganā€™s pick was virtually the one we started with, and it is very likely we would have got Raz even without the slight pick upgrade from losing Gumby.

And Melksham would be in our best 22.

Good player and would add something to our list we need whilst Dogs having surplus in that area.

But he is worth nowhere near a first round pick as a straight swap.

Agree - heā€™s currently surplus to their needs, as he is not quick enough to play as a forward, and following his injury, he probably dropped behind a couple of their good inside mids. I wonder if they would be interested in someone like Colyer to give them some more outside speed?

Love the thought but lol we arenā€™t getting any of them

Btw Billings just re-signed too

2 Likes