List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Gee - Essendon must have totally offered unders if they are now doubling the offer - The one thing I’ve learnt about players from Ireland is you must offer fair value - They come to Australia to play professional sport so $$$ are important.[quote=“Milanista28, post:1156, topic:10164, full:true”]
Lions big into Irish is a rumor floating on Big footy, Have doubled our offer apparently.

Hearsay but though I’d comment
[/quote]

You have to draft 3 players, or promote the same number of rookies. We had to use a pick around Raz’s range.

In that case I change my mind

They miss Hanley so much they want Conor; hopefully Leuey and Green remind him how ■■■■■ a club it is

1 Like

We can’t be offering less than 400k. So 800k is way overs.
I call BS.

But these situations aren’t the end of the world. If he leaves it would suck but we should get decent reimbursement.

Imagine Connor and pick 11 for McCluggage lol.

Wouldn’t happen but atleast the McGrath vs McCluggage discussion would retrospectively be the greatest waste of internet of all time!

1 Like

Well if the report is right that EFC doubled the offer, this means the original offer could have offered 250k. McKenna is managed by Lucas.

It’s reported Lions have doubled our offer

That rumour claiming lions offering double means they’re offering minimum 500k - 600k per season.

Please.

Connor is tracking upwardly but as if any club would offer 600k a year for him at this point on exposed form.

They don’t really have many options to lure players up north other than huge $$$. though.

Yeah, and an Irishman is the one who will buck their inability to hold onto anyone.

Ha.

Unless he’s that focused on coin, he’d be barking mad to want to go up there and Essendon would have to be reverting to its tight as a fishes chocolate starfish 1970’s mentality. I’d imagine him being young and the odd bout of homesickness will hit but starting all over again up there? Can’t see it.

1 Like

The ‘rumour’ sounds utterly unbelievable. There are far more plausible trade scenario fabrications floating around.

■■■■ that, if they want Connor they can give us Mcluggage and a pick. The guy has become a freak show with no ceiling.

2 Likes

We could have offered 2 years and someone offered 4.

1 Like

So a legit question for anybody ‘in the know’.

a. Are we a chance to land anybody GOOD in the offseason?

b. What are the chances out of

• we are behind and have some work to do
  • we are in the mix for one
  • we are front runner on at least one
  • we don’t have enough picks to bring them all in

I’m not asking for specifics or names etc just want to set my own and other expectations about the off season.

1 Like

We are a draft and develop club.

2 Likes

I’m not “in the know”, but I would point out that usually there are only a handful of players who move each year who would be viewed as unequivocally “good” (depends on your definition). And usually a couple of those are moving home. So the odds would be long for any club to get someone “good” in any particular year.

Yes true, and then every other club wants to take our good players. F##k Geelong and Hawthorn. I cant make out how they can get these top players with low draft picks available and again how can they keep them all under the salary cap.Last year trades the corrupt AFL favoured them.

How’s that gone for us?

I think to be a successful club you need to do both well. We’ve done well picking up some important pieces to fill some gaps - Stewart, Greene, Luey.
We’ve got elite and potentially elite youngsters - Daniher, Fantasia, Walla, Mcgrath, Parish, Merrett plus some that look like being players Langford, Francis, Begley, Mutch, Ridley and Laverde

The list looks in good shape. Time to learn how to trade like the big boys and bring in some ready to go, finishing pieces to round out the team. An elite mid would be a good start.

2 Likes

Every club wants to take good youngsters. It is a lot easier to do if you’re a fixture of the top 4.

1 Like