Live Animal Exports to Vietnam

How was it "jammed in our face"?

metaphorically

So let me get this right - someone with a genuine concern over cruelty to animals decides to make a post here, and is promptly derided and their opinion ridiculed, thread turned into a joke.

Yup, this is Blitz.

nope someone entered the “news thread” with their personal crusade and whinged about the same thing with the same information that has been whinged for decades with no effect.

Sorry I don’t respond well to being whinged at and having animal mistreatment horror stories jammed in my face. If I was keen for that I’m sure I could seek such info out for myself. If you think jamming it in people’s faces is the best way to resolve the matter I’d point you to the decades of it doing ■■■■ all but ■■■■ people off and guilt trip the average person on their average day because you’re too impotent to actually effect the issue in any meaningful fashion.

I personally could flood the boards with my own personal moral crusades and have done so in the past but funnily enough the world get’s more and more the same every year no matter how much I demanded fundamental societal change on a football forum.

I’ve read some of your own rants and have to say I agree with about 95% of things you obliquely crusade about.

Having said that, people have a few choices when a thread like this comes up. They can ignore it, they can make fun of it and they can make an intelligent argument for or against.
Choices, choices.

Well I’ve taken the later two options and got further sanctimony for not taking it seriously enough.

Were you under the impression that my post which you quoted was directed at yourself?
Interesting :wink:

Yes, because I derided the op, ridiculed his opinion and deliberately tried to turn the thread into a joke.

metaphorically

So let me get this right - someone with a genuine concern over cruelty to animals decides to make a post here, and is promptly derided and their opinion ridiculed, thread turned into a joke.

Yup, this is Blitz.

nope someone entered the “news thread” with their personal crusade and whinged about the same thing with the same information that has been whinged for decades with no effect.

Sorry I don’t respond well to being whinged at and having animal mistreatment horror stories jammed in my face. If I was keen for that I’m sure I could seek such info out for myself. If you think jamming it in people’s faces is the best way to resolve the matter I’d point you to the decades of it doing ■■■■ all but ■■■■ people off and guilt trip the average person on their average day because you’re too impotent to actually effect the issue in any meaningful fashion.

I personally could flood the boards with my own personal moral crusades and have done so in the past but funnily enough the world get’s more and more the same every year no matter how much I demanded fundamental societal change on a football forum.

I’ve read some of your own rants and have to say I agree with about 95% of things you obliquely crusade about.

Having said that, people have a few choices when a thread like this comes up. They can ignore it, they can make fun of it and they can make an intelligent argument for or against.
Choices, choices.

Well I’ve taken the later two options and got further sanctimony for not taking it seriously enough.

Were you under the impression that my post which you quoted was directed at yourself?
Interesting :wink:

Yes, because I derided the op, ridiculed his opinion and deliberately tried to turn the thread into a joke.

hahahahahahahahaha…and this is why you get away with murder …

lol @ this thread

metaphorically

Thanks for clearing that up.

Don't know a lot about it but I reckon it's pretty boring, up there with yacht racing and car racing, and I gather it can be pretty expensive. So Mendozaaaa, what's your view on pit bull fighting?

Horse and greyhound racing is a disgrace.

Not sure what dig fighting has to do with my questions?

*did some mod delete my reply from this morning?

do people actually think the meat they eat now died/lived a natural drug free humane life??

Yes because that only happens in every country except Australia.

If you actually care, put down the steak

My families cattle live healthy, happy, drug-free lives. Unless you count worming drench. But then, I’ve seen the alternative to worming drench. Not sure how idiots can link “humane” and “drug free”.

Or are you one of the fools who think we load our cattle up with steroids and growth hormones?

Nothing worse than people who think they know what farmers do, when all they hear is what PETA and the “organic” lobby tell them.

So true. PETA is the scum of the earth the way they accuse farmers of malpractice without having to justify their argument.
While I personally have difficulty looking beyond the suffering and cruelty inherent in this industry clearly the impact on the economy won't be overlooked.
Your personal opinion expressed here clearly shows you have no idea about the industry you are referring too. That you can claim the cruelty is inherent in the industry is just amazing. Do you really believe that Australian producers would harm their animals which are their assets? No way - it is the last thing they would ever do. What also frustrates me is that there is an expectation that farmers must control what goes on beyond their farm gate. Again this is just ludicrous. It is like saying supermarkets have the responsibility for ensuring food is cooked in the proper manner once taken home. I'm not saying what goes on in foreign countries is right, but making a moral choice to stop Australia exporting animals is not going to solve the problem. Education is the key, but it shouldn't be Australian farmers who are made to suffer. Just remember if we stop exporting these countries are going to get their animals from somewhere else and continue to operate in the same way. As a country we would failing in our moral obligations by just banning live exports.
I think that New Zealand made the right choice morally and economically in 2007 when they brought a halt to live animal exports for slaughter. I gather that their livestock industry has flourished since then, particularly their diary industry, and I have read reports that primary producers there have limited interest in resuming the industry. "
Again you show your ignorance here. Trying to link a ban on live exports with New Zealand's dairy boom proves this. The dairy boom has been driven by the demand for New Zealand's milk into Asia, in particular China, which was driven by a Free Trade Agreement. You also should realise that New Zealand hardly exported any animals anyway and for this reason they don't need to reverse the ban. Australia exports live animals because of our proximity to markets and also our industry types. Our northern Beef production system has traditionally focussed solely on the live export market, due to no local abattoirs and the costs of transporting south been prohibitive to making a living. Things are changing, but banning live export is not going to solve anything. All it will do is throw many people livelihoods into jeopardy and leave vast tracks of our usable land resources under utilised.
do people actually think the meat they eat now died/lived a natural drug free humane life??

My families cattle live healthy, happy, drug-free lives. Unless you count worming drench. But then, I’ve seen the alternative to worming drench. Not sure how idiots can link “humane” and “drug free”.

Or are you one of the fools who think we load our cattle up with steroids and growth hormones?

Nothing worse than people who think they know what farmers do, when all they hear is what PETA and the “organic” lobby tell them.

So true. PETA is the scum of the earth the way they accuse farmers of malpractice without having to justify their argument.

meanwhile they’ll kidnap and murder cats

meanwhile they’ll kidnap and murder cats

Is kidnapping a cat catnapping?
See what you’ve done to me?
Damn you!

Didn’t that guy arrested for that?

Didn't that guy arrested for that?

That particular freak was horsing around with a donkey. I think he used the Sarah Jessica Parker defence.

That may be funny to some, however those same people may feel differently if that other animal - to the right…was the one be treated cruelly.

It is, it’s being forced to watch

When I grow up, I’m going to Bovine university.

If we are turning back boats full of asylum seekers to their slaughter I’m not surprised people have no problem with cattle

Didn't that guy arrested for that?

he was let off

Yup, this is Blitz.

I have no problem with the OP. I do have a problem with people spreading lies about Australia’s cattle and sheep industries (and make no mistake - they are LIES).

I also have a problem with people claiming chickens die when they reach 47 days old and that’s the reason farmers work 365 days a year. Couldn’t possibly be because chickens need to be FED 365 days a year… I have a problem with the way we raise chickens but why the need to spread absolute bullshit?

Not sure if the "fk off" is aimed at me or the writer whose article I posted, I assume the former but I'll respond anyway. While I personally have difficulty looking beyond the suffering and cruelty inherent in this industry clearly the impact on the economy won't be overlooked. I think that New Zealand made the right choice morally and economically in 2007 when they brought a halt to live animal exports for slaughter. I gather that their livestock industry has flourished since then, particularly their diary industry, and I have read reports that primary producers there have limited interest in resuming the industry. "Federated Farmers meat industry group chairman Rick Powdrell said he was unaware of any pressure within the New Zealand farming community to restart the exports."http://www.farmonline.com.au/news/agriculture/sheep/general-news/live-ex-damages-reputation-nz/2730781.aspx I concede that they do still export cattle for diary and breeding purposes, a problematic issue in itself, but I also gather they have increased exports of packaged meat, including to the Middle East. "Meat trade with Saudi Arabia is worth $120 million, most of that frozen, and it imposes tariffs of 5 per cent on those imports. It is New Zealand's fifth largest market for sheepmeat." It seems to me that increasing the capacity of abattoirs in the North would reduce costs to sending packaged meat to what are basically fledgling markets in places like Vietnam and I'm assuming that cost is a key factor in the decision to export cattle there. I also note that one of the original motivations for the New Zealand ban was the concession that monitoring the treatment of animals was next to impossible. The 40 plus reported investigations into these practices in Aust since 2003 support that assertion. Personally I cannot abide the trading off of cruelty against profit, and this is a cruel industry. But I question the long term "profit" and impact on the industry. The meat industry reported significant drops in meat sales in Australia after the footage of abuse of animals in Indonesia a few years ago was publicly released. I note that Animal Australia have decided not to release the Vietnam footage this time and I imagine the industry is relieved because the last thing the wider industry wants is widespread vision of cattle being bludgeoned to death with sledgehammers. I'm sure there are plenty of meat producers who would love to see this industry shut down too. http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/local-meat-eaters-turned-off-by-indonesian-cattle-scandal-20110608-1frv4.html It is obvious that this industry wants to operate outside the public eye and I support attempts to expose their practices. If we really are informed about what going on, we can make informed decisions, that's not the case at present.

T’was at the author mate.

The NT Ab’s idea has been around a while. The issues are beyond that, they come down to labour costs in Oz Vs Indo/Viet etc, & refrigeration being unavailable in most live export destinations.

No good bringing in packaged meat into a tropic zone where they cant keep it cool.

I've been to Vietnam, I'm almost sure I saw a fridge and even a freezer. I know, hard to believe.