Live pick trading

This has been talked about for a couple of years now. Most AFL list managers when interviewed support live pick trading. I haven’t followed other sports where this is used, so am pretty unsure of what the mechanics are. Be interested in how people see this actually playing out.

The AFL looks increasingly likely to introduce American-style live draft pick trading during each year’s National Draft – and possibly as soon as 2018.

AFL.com.au reported in June the draft night innovation was being discussed among the AFL’s player movement working group.

It would be another significant development after free agency changed the AFL exchange landscape forever in 2012.

Details are still being worked out, but the situation has advanced to the point where Hawthorn recruiting and list manager Graham Wright and Geelong chief executive Brian Cook discussed it publicly the past two days.

In-draft trading would enable clubs to assess the value of their picks on the run and make moves based on which players are still available to increase their chance of landing targeted footballers.

American sporting leagues, such as the NBA and NFL, can trade players and picks during their drafts, but Wright’s belief was AFL clubs would be restricted to picks only, at least initially.

“It hasn’t been fully tested and how it would work and where we’d all be and whether (clubs) would be … at our home bases or whether we’re in one venue, how it all works hasn’t all been finalised,” Wright told hawthornfc.com.au.

"But my opinion is it will come in next year, which will be exciting. I think the Trade Period will probably work similarly to how it is now, so there will be picks and players going around October 20.

“Then I think the way it will work is you’ll be able to trade picks basically after that period of time, where players stop, all the way through to the draft and in the draft. It will be an exciting and new phase in what the draft will look like.”

Cook, speaking on Melbourne radio station SEN on Saturday, said live draft pick trading was inevitable in the AFL.

“To be really honest, I wouldn’t get involved in that, and so I’m only perceiving what my people would feel about that,” Cook said.

"I’d think they would prefer not to, but I just think there’s going to be more and more changes with more and more flexibility and movement between players and draft picks and so forth and so on in the next few years.

"It’s just something we have to do, I think<

If we thought clubs left too much of their trading til the last minute now: this will only make it a hell of a lot worse.

Not sure exactly what problem it solves TBH. And I’m sure the players would be against it.

6 Likes

Live pick trading is excellent. Makes.the draft very dynamic.

I don’t however think it should include live player trading as well because contract situations and $ involved are far different than. The NFL / NBA

The only system I’m even vaguely up to speed on is the NFL draft. Which seems a different kettle of fish, since there are far more “live” rounds than AFL, and there are like 40 picks in a round. So the scope for moves seems a lot more, yet I think there are still only a handful each draft. They’re game is also far more structured than ours, with most players only being in one position. The draftees are also 22/23, so what you’re getting is far less speculative. So trading around for a particular player has more impact.

It really does slow the draft down as well, as you need to give each team about 10 minutes if they’re making phone calls about trades.

I don’t really think it is necessary for AFL.

1 Like

Basically in a nutshell how it can work;

is if Jackets is head over heels for Bonar and really wants him and he is still on the board at GWS 11.

Jackets can say we will give you our first and second next year for pick 11 now.

Usually it involved paying way overs for clubs desperate to get a certain type of player talent.

For example if live pick trading was available in the McCartin / petracca trade it is likely a club (maybe us) would have moved heaven and earth to get 2m Peter.

But it probably best works when drafted picks are closer. For example West Coast at 13 may say we will give you 13&21 right now for 11.

As a supporter it’s awesome.

Vehement no, ■■■■ off with the seppo ■■■■.

1 Like

As long as you can’t trade your club’s listed players on the night…which I think they do in NFL and/or NBA.

3 Likes

I think that is key mate. Many Players don’t earn enough to have there life upended and all that jazz.

Also most NFL player do not live where they play the season is very short in comparison to AFL and therefore players are more transient by nature.

1 Like

Not sure the BBlitz server would cope.

10 Likes

The clubs have 2 weeks to sort out trades. If they can’t do it by the deadline of trade week, why should they have another opportunity?

Live trading is a different matter all together…

Fans will love it. I think it’s awesome.

If they can only trade picks (or players who have just been drafted), I don’t see the problem. Sure it drags the draft out, but so what? The draft should be about list management, not spectacle. If it takes all day, or even a couple of days, instead of two hours of poorly produced TV but the end result is more teams getting the players they want, I’m for it.

I don’t think you’d see a lot of trades in practice, but it wouldn’t be any worse than the shemozzle of academy bidding and fairy dust points.

3 Likes

This is a good example, Seahawks first trade went back 5 spots but end up with 2 extra picks. All because Falcons saw there man at 26 still available and thought it was worth it. Clearly with the draft unfolding as it was, Seahawks were happy to drop back (note they then ontraded #31 again to the 49ers)

So Seahawks turned 26 -> 34, 95, 111 and 249.

This may have happened because the player they really wanted was gone by 22 or they had no specific needs requirement.

So shrewd and interesting.

You assume the AFL will clear up one mess before they start making another one.
I think that’s pretty optimistic.

1 Like

Can you explain this to me in this particular case. Seahawks received pretty much nothing in return for dropping back picks?

I can understand it in a world where players can be traded anywhere on a whim, and in cases like above if the Seahawks rated someone they could get in return for dropping back a few picks then it could be interesting and fun. But in the AFL where the players have veto over trades it wouldn’t be that interesting.

But without the ability to include currently listed players (or delist them on the fly, eg when we draft a particular type we could delist our depth in that type) it wouldn’t be that interesting. And the trading players like they’re pieces of meat with no say in their lives is not really ideal…

It’ll really help out Brisbane.
They’d just trade every first round they have for later picks on the day.
Better off getting value during the draft than waiting a few years and getting nothing.

Key thing is that picks 95 & 111 in the NFL draft are decentish picks (draft normally goes out past 200). It’s probably the equivalent of something roughly like 15 for 19, 34 & 38. It’s hard to compare exactly because as @Ants says there’s a lot more picks, and there’s also a lot more specific positions and a much deeper talent pool.

3 Likes

I hate this

6 Likes

No.

Seahawks gave up pick 26.

Ultimately in return they got 34, 95, 111 and 249

Same, I think It’s a horrible idea.

1 Like