Local Cricket 2015/16

Yeah called off without a ball being bowled. Temp never dipped below 38, got canned at 1.30 so back to the clubrooms for a few. The girls were playing on their ground at Aberfeldie Park, so it made us think we were a bit weak if the chics were out there, but when we saw 2 Ambulances rock up we realised it may have been for the better...

We sat around until 3pm waiting for the opposition to concede they were not going to chase down our target of 150. I was in the 2s. Our 1s only needed 48 runs with 7 wickets in hand so they were willing to give it until 6 to get on. The temperature finally dropped below 38 at about 5.30 so they got on and won losing 3 wickets in the process. They played on for a couple of more overs given the bonus points at play in the VTCA before amazingly rain ended the game.

A couple of Carnegie players played for a long time at NCG.
I overheard a conversation a couple of weeks back about a Slug. I could only conclude it was you based on the following comments: -imagine how shattered he would be about the WADA decision -he even moved out towards Essendon so he could watch training -now he is down at Port Fairy

It was a little strange overhearing a conversation and knowing who it was about. It wasn’t like I could say yes I know that bloke via the interwebs, goes by the name AN10. And yes the blokes involved in the conversation had ties with NCG - apologies I have no idea who they were.

I overheard a conversation a couple of weeks back about a Slug. I could only conclude it was you based on the following comments: -imagine how shattered he would be about the WADA decision -he even moved out towards Essendon so he could watch training -now he is down at Port Fairy

It was a little strange overhearing a conversation and knowing who it was about. It wasn’t like I could say yes I know that bloke via the interwebs, goes by the name AN10. And yes the blokes involved in the conversation had ties with NCG - apologies I have no idea who they were.

Sounds like me. Their initials are probably RB and LK (possibly MK).

How is everyones seasons looking? Anyone a chance for a flag?

The side I play in can still mathematically make the finals but we need to winboth of our games and one of them outright and we need either 3rd or 4th to lose both of there games. The way we have played against the top sides this season we will be making up the numbers anyway.

One older bloke sinking crownies and smoking darts like they were going out of fashion. Usually there are a couple of others joining him but he was the only regular on this day. He was very reflective on his long career with NCG and the younger guyer he was talking to had played at NCG and I think also Carnegie but is now playing somewhere else. He was washed the day I’m referring to.

The side I play in can still mathematically make the finals but we need to winboth of our games and one of them outright and we need either 3rd or 4th to lose both of there games. The way we have played against the top sides this season we will be making up the numbers anyway.

Need to complete the outright tomorrow (we have already won and are 45 in front, 6 wickets in hand) then next week becomes a play off for fourth.

One older bloke sinking crownies and smoking darts like they were going out of fashion. Usually there are a couple of others joining him but he was the only regular on this day. He was very reflective on his long career with NCG and the younger guyer he was talking to had played at NCG and I think also Carnegie but is now playing somewhere else. He was washed the day I’m referring to.

Farmer and Maciek. Neither guy I’d thought.

I met Farmer about the same time I met jodi. Premiership year for the Dons, and no…it wasn’t 1950.

Tallangatta Bushies looking good for back to back flags. We’re also in the semi finals of the Vic Regional Big Bash. Play Sorrento Sharks on Sunday for a chance to take on Doutta Stars in the final at the G.
They have former Victorian player Nick Jewell. We have current Durham player James Weighell. Gets them through around 135kph. Handy is an understatement.

Played on and off grade cricket this season, mainly because recovery takes almost a fortnight these days. Can’t believe how quick seasons gone.

I set myself a target to get my average over my age. I did but it was through bowling. Bugger. The other target was once we established we’d miss finals I would try out a few of the shots the kids love these days. I got a reverse sweep away, I did the Matt Hayden walk up the pitch, did lap shotand a ramp. It was great because one game there was this former first grader giving all the ■■■■ under the sun from first slip until I nearly decapitated him when clowning around.

We lost that game but we kept those ■■■■■■ out there for the full innings and gave it a real nudge. They where ■■■■■■ off we didn’t buckle and bickered like school girls.

Sad thing is they’re in the finals and we will be on a fishing trip to St. Helens while it’s on. And I hate fishing.

Semi final today. (Old coots cricket). Third consecutive week we have to play -usually vets is every fortnight - and im struggling with achilles tendonitis. We’re a good chance today but the top side are clearly a step ahead from the rest so if we make the GF it’ll be tough.

Season over in terms of finals for us but had a nice win on the weekend. Got promoted to 1s after some solid for in the 2s, 2 50s and a 43* (a game in which we were 0/96 at stumps after Day 1 chasing 170 but got rained out the next week!), played RMIT at Walker St which is in Parkville near the Melbourne Zoo. They batted first and the ridiculously short boundaries meant their scoring rate was high, but they had no discipline and save for one bloke who made a ton, they were all out 221 in just 41 overs. Had the best part of half a day to bat out, I opened and felt pretty good, bowling was pretty docile but I got absolutely burnt by my opening partner, run out for 3, but it still took for a direct hit to get me. Very frustrated to get the call-up and get roasted like that! We were 6/107 at stumps and not looking too good, but 2nd week they had only 8 players from their side the previous week, plus a few sub fielders, and we got over the line 7 down. Needing an outright result to keep finals in the picture (we have the bye this game so needed the extra points to get in the 4 and results to go our way next game to stay there), we declared 20 runs ahead and still 40 overs left in the day. They could only bat 8 so 7 wickets down would closed their innings. We had them 2/0, but in the end they saw it out to safety and were 4/96 at the close. I even got a bowl, 0/17 off 5 with my offies, not too bad on a postage stamp. Had one lbw shout which I thought was very adjacent turned down, would’ve been my first wicket in a game for 7 years!

1s are done and dusted for the year but I’ll drop back to the 2nds for the final game. Hoping I can sign off in style with a good knock.

bordermail.com.au/story/3726727/fraser-amazer/

Not like Fairfax to get a story wrong…

This is my “little” brother. Peeled off 53 not out from 40 balls, not 48 from 37, as incorrectly stated in the paper.
We knocked off Sorrento by 6 wickets with 2 overs to spare and now face Doutta Stars in the Vic Regional Big Bash Grand Final at the MCG on the 25th of February.
This is massive for our club.
Word has it that the team Sorrento beat in the quarter finals (Springvale South) are shelling out $30K for a Sri Lankan player this season… no idea if that’s true or not - but that’s staggering money!

The coin going around even in our comp is stupid, especially as we are only in Nth Bs, which is the 4th tier of the comp. Apparently Pascoe Vale SC bought all of East Coburg’s decent players and every player in their 1s is on some form of payment. We only pay the coach and 1 overseas, and I dare say it would be a fraction of $30K.

1 G. Ablett took a couple of wickets for the Torquay 4ths against Waurn Ponds at Belmont High on Saturday.

This is my “little” brother. Peeled off 53 not out from 40 balls, not 48 from 37, as incorrectly stated in the paper.
We knocked off Sorrento by 6 wickets with 2 overs to spare and now face Doutta Stars in the Vic Regional Big Bash Grand Final at the MCG on the 25th of February.
Word has it that the team Sorrento beat in the quarter finals (Springvale South) are shelling out $30K for a Sri Lankan player this season… no idea if that’s true or not - but that’s staggering money!

There is a bit of money going around in the DDCA where Springvale South play but $30k for a player is amazing.

There is a bit of money going around in the DDCA where Springvale South play but $30k for a player is amazing.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe to be honest. But then, I am but a country lad.

2 players for 30K I wouldn’t be surprised at.

Former Sri Lankan international Malinga Bandara plays for Springvale South -
http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/player/48284.html

Has 33 wickets at 8.5 for the season, and the club is top of the table.

25 years ago, we were paying our captain coach somewhere about $10-12K, but that was at the end of his 10 year stint. He was only 26 or 27 when he started with us. He’d played 80-odd games of league football at the power club, made 90 in a district final at 18, taken a district hat-trick, played off 2 or 3 at Huntingdale, and played pennant tennis. ■■■■■ ya, doesn’t it?

First year, we were undefeated…he made a ton in the final, and took 4…second year, we won again…made 50 of 228 chasing 195, took 5/10 to outright it on a wet track…then about 8 years later, made 159* chasing 279 to win the top division flag…2 others made 70s but the rest pretty much failed. I reckon he was worth it.

I’m sure there’ll be a few people who work out who I’m talking about. He might even have taught yaco.

John Anderson from Melbourne went to City of Moorabbin, a matting comp, for more…Dav Whatmore was at Washington Park in the same comp and I’m sure that wasn’t peanuts. This was all 80s and early 90s.

25 years ago, we were paying our captain coach somewhere about $10-12K, but that was at the end of his 10 year stint. He was only 26 or 27 when he started with us. He'd played 80-odd games of league football at the power club, made 90 in a district final at 18, taken a district hat-trick, played off 2 or 3 at Huntingdale, and played pennant tennis. ■■■■■ ya, doesn't it?

First year, we were undefeated…he made a ton in the final, and took 4…second year, we won again…made 50 of 228 chasing 195, took 5/10 to outright it on a wet track…then about 8 years later, made 159* chasing 279 to win the top division flag…2 others made 70s but the rest pretty much failed. I reckon he was worth it.

I’m sure there’ll be a few people who work out who I’m talking about. He might even have taught yaco.

John Anderson from Melbourne went to City of Moorabbin, a matting comp, for more…Dav Whatmore was at Washington Park in the same comp and I’m sure that wasn’t peanuts. This was all 80s and early 90s.

Robert Lamb - A good teacher and all round nice guy.

25 years ago, we were paying our captain coach somewhere about $10-12K, but that was at the end of his 10 year stint. He was only 26 or 27 when he started with us. He'd played 80-odd games of league football at the power club, made 90 in a district final at 18, taken a district hat-trick, played off 2 or 3 at Huntingdale, and played pennant tennis. ■■■■■ ya, doesn't it?

Robert Lamb - A good teacher and all round nice guy.

Quite correct.

My team is playing a virtual elimination final over the next two weeks. We are 7th out of 18. For some reason I can’t work, the VTCA South Seconds is running two finals series. One for the first four teams and then one for the next four. We play 8th this week and 9th have a relatively easy game so we’re expecting them to win. Therefore it’s a cut throat game.

There are two run away leaders in the league and I have a feeling the 3rd placed team until last week have decided to go for the second lot of finals as they lost to a low team and have one of the top 2 in the last round.

Unfortunately I’m out for this game - planned a holiday before committing to the season. Fingers crossed my semi decent form recently will see me back in if we make it.